Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Mirage
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 07:55 AM   #1
zeeVoman
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to zeeVoman
Question 98 mirage to evo 4...HELP

hey guys, im new to this forum, and ive been trying to find out info. on how to convert a 98 mirage de...i wanted to do a tranny and motor swap, preferibally the 4g63 turbo motor, is this possible? Ive seen some motors online, with the whole front clip swap..but then there without tranny..and im trying to do the WHOLE swap if u guyz know what i mean...if ANYONE out there has n/e knowledge on this subject, id appreciate your help thanx guyz.
zeeVoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 12:14 PM   #2
Carpie
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Carpie
swapping

I'm not 100% on what you mean, but if you're planning on turning your 98 Mirage into an AWD Evo4, go for it. I've seen it done.

At Hot Import Nights car show. One of the cars displayed was a 4-door Mirage turned into an Evo5. It's AWD, turbo, looks nice, but it has a few drawbacks.

First, and largest, is the price of doing it. It cost the owner $30,000 to buy the car in Japan, ship it here to the US, and perform the swap... which included a LOT of modifications to mount everything onto the Mirage's frame and make it work properly.

No, he couldn't mod the Evo5, because that car is not registerable in the US, so that idea is out.

Second, he can't get the car insured. Actually, this wasn't discovered until AFTER all the work was done. Technically, the car is NOT the same car that is identified by the VIN. The modifications are so drastic that the car is no longer street legal, and is only insurable in case of theft or destruction at home, at a show, or while being transported.

And, no, just getting the car insured using the stock VIN will not work either... that's called insurance fraud and is likely to get you prison time and/or fined.

If, however, you want to put a 4G63t engine and transmission from an Eclypse into your car then, yes, by all means do so. It is legal and driveable, but a difficult/costly swap because of cutting, welding, and modifications needed. But other people in the forum have done it in the past.

If you want the 2.0L engine in your car, look for a wrecked Lancer. That engine will fit in your car. And it has a lot of possibility for modification.

If you could post a less vague question I can look for a more specific answer to give you.
Carpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:22 AM   #3
zeeVoman
AF Newbie

i ment a front clip swap

wasup man, yeh i was just thiniking of getting a front clip from flashoptions.com but the 98 mirage currently is automatic, so i want the motor and the tranny swap...i dont really care about the awd issue, im down to rule a 2.0 turbo lancer motor in the mirage even if it is fwd...i just want the power there. i Saw the front clip on that site for about 1600 and im not sure if tranny is included.but if i do ge a tranny i would be needing a 2wd tranny from a normal mirage not the evo..so wut im looking at is a 2.0 turbo evo 4/5 motor. with a stock amercian fwd tranny...im not sure if thats possible..what do you think..?..about the eclipse motor isnt that rwd..?
Old 11-01-2003, 09:04 PM   #4
Carpie
AF Regular

Cool...

Cool, now that I know what you're looking at doing I can get some more info.

Flash Options is a good place to get price info and they've got a lot of stuff available, too. If they say it's the entire front clip, that means everything: engine, transmission, electronics, intake and exhaust manifolds, etc. But if you have doubts on what's included than I would suggest contacting them by email or phone to get a more detailed description of what is involved.

I don't know if a Lancer's transmission will match up to a JDM engine... that one is going to take a little digging.

And as for the Eclypse, no it is front wheel drive, however; the GSX was an AWD turbo.

I'll do some digging on the other stuff and see if I can find anything. When I do, I'll post it on this thread.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:06 PM   #5
zeeVoman
AF Newbie

Exclamation for realzz

deng that would be great thanx man...yeh i think im gonna be giving flash options a call pretty soon, to see whats up you know...and then yeh..so if i get the evo front clip front flashoptions i wont be able to match that up with the kurrent settings on the kar? because of the 2wd 4wd difference? If you kan find n/e place that will hook it up with the motor n tranny that would fit..that would be great..btw you know n/e one that dose labor on these thing and if u do, do u know a $$ quote?...thanx man
Old 11-10-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
Carpie
AF Regular

info

Simple conclusion: Get the 4G94 2.0L non-turbo engine and manual transmission from a US spec Lancer. After that, buy the turbo kit for the engine. They're available, RPW (www.rpw.com.au) does it. There are a few other companies as well, but I've not heard anything about availability/quality.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
myrage
AF Regular

personally the Eclipse/galant 4G63 will be more costly then the evo 4/5/6/7/8 engine conversion, i've done the evo 5 swap in my coupe. also NO factory mirage/lancer gearbox's will fit apart from the evo 4wd (will need modifying for fwd setup) and the EA2A 1998 Galant FWD gearbox but they are rear as hell.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
boricua7777
AF Newbie

97 rs eclipse to evo 4...HELP pl

hello do u think u can help me put pl i have a 97 Rs eclipse
with the 420a motor and i would like to know if i can do the same set up in puting the evo conversion in my car can pl help me out in some inf
here are some pic of my car she is most done in the body work but befor i paint her i would like to work on the motor pl can u help out

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657756/1

e-mail me that boricua77772000@yahoo.com
boricua7777 is offline   Reply With Quote