-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM
dafeeder dafeeder is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Injectors?

After searching many Threads, I couldn't find the answer to some of my questions.

My 1996 3.1 Lumina is running rough. Codes were pulled with P300 and P134 showing up.

In the last 3 years I have replaced Fuel Pump, Cat, all ICM's, new plugs and wires, just replaced fuel filter, cleaned injectors 3 times in the last 3 years, 1 being about 6 months ago when I put new LIM gasket in. Recently ran a bottle of B-12 Chemtrol and a bottle of Heat, but neither seemed to help.

Questions:

1. Can you check the injectors without pulling the pelnum?

2. How do you tell if the injectors are good or what voltage should they have?

3. What should the Pressure be at the rail and should the engine be running or turned off?

4. Should the pressure stay up for a long time?

5. Can I run the engine with the Pelnum off, so I can disconnect each injector for testing?

6. Where is the cheapest place to buy new injectors or should I just have them rebuilt? How long does it take to rebuild them?

Any suggestions other then testing the fuel pressure at the rail?

Maybe I am way off base and it's not fuel related but I have changed a lot of the most suggested things over the last 3 years.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Running rough too broad a description, do you have a dead misfire? If so isolate the cylinder by pulling one plug wire at a time unitl there is no change in engine rpm or idle quality. Then focus on that cylinder, the code says random, but that can be misleading.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 PM
dafeeder dafeeder is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Running rough too broad a description, do you have a dead misfire? If so isolate the cylinder by pulling one plug wire at a time unitl there is no change in engine rpm or idle quality. Then focus on that cylinder, the code says random, but that can be misleading.
I pulled the front 3 plug wires one at a time and the engine wouldn't start when I pulled the 2 and 3 wires on the front left side.

When I pulled the 1st plug wire on the front left side, it didn't make a difference in how the engine ran and the engine would start. I am not sure what cylinder that is. Would that indicate a Valve or maybe an injector? I took the plug out and the gap was at about 62. I regaped it at 60 and went back with it, as the plug looked fine.

What is a dead misfire? My car will start and even cruise at 60 mph, but it won't hardly idle and the engine is missing going done the road. Engine light also flashes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 PM
jeffcoslacker's Avatar
jeffcoslacker jeffcoslacker is offline
Lactose the Intolerant
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,410
Thanks: 4
Thanked 52 Times in 51 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Get a $25 vacuum gauge and make sure you didn't break a valve spring or toss a rocker before you do anything else.

If it's mechanical engine fault, it'll show as a sharp, profound drop every time it misses. The needle may even chatter.

If it's pretty steady it may be just a spark or injector issue.
__________________
You made three mistakes. First, you took the job. Second, you came light. A four man crew for me? F**king insulting. But the worst mistake you made...

...empty gun rack.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 PM
dafeeder dafeeder is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker View Post
Get a $25 vacuum gauge and make sure you didn't break a valve spring or toss a rocker before you do anything else.

If it's mechanical engine fault, it'll show as a sharp, profound drop every time it misses. The needle may even chatter.

If it's pretty steady it may be just a spark or injector issue.
Bought vacuum gauge and ran test. The test showed a steady reading(no fluctuation) near 14, which is near the 15-22 range that was in the vacuum gauge information. I also checked the fuel pressure at the rail and it tested 41, which is in the 41-47 suggested range.

The engine still is missing. I am leaning toward a injector since I have fixed about every other thing on this car over the last 3 years. I am thinking about sending all my injectors to Mr Injector for $16 a piece, just to rule that matter out. Anything else to look for before I tear into the injectors?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2011, 07:46 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Injectors?

How do you know it is an injector?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 PM
dafeeder dafeeder is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
How do you know it is an injector?
I don't. Over the last 3 years I have changed a lot of the known issues the 3.1 seems to have, but I never changed any of the injectors. I am just trying to eliminate things at this point. I originally thought the front left spark plug didn't make a difference in the way the engie ran when I pulled the plug wire off, but it did today. I am sure it could be a lot of things. Do you have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Pin down the cylinder by the method I suggested ( which youy are doing), get a tach on the engine to determine the rpm drop when each cyl. is disabled, then you can focus on the cylinder.A high line scanner can do a power balance test also.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM
dafeeder dafeeder is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Dumb question but I have to ask. Since I can't get to the back plug wires very easy, can I just pull the plug wires off the ICM, one at a time?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2011, 11:10 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Yes, careful here as that spark can jump a large gap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 PM
dafeeder dafeeder is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Yes, careful here as that spark can jump a large gap.
How do I test a coil other than swaping with 1 of the other 2 to see if it's good? All coils were put on new less then 3 years ago but it appears I have a bad coil and I didn't buy the LLW coils.

Update:

Old coil tested under the range so bought a new coil. New coil didn't stop the misfire.

Last edited by dafeeder; 05-25-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: update
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 PM
dafeeder dafeeder is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Injectors?

I guess Injectors are fine.

After coaching basketball and going to a State Track meet this weekend, I finally broke down and took the ICM in to get it tested. I was dumb and didn't take the ICM in when I tested the Coil, but was in a hurry. Of course it only takes an extra 5 minutes to take the ICM off with the other coils. Autozone has a neat tester to test the ICM and it tested bad, so since no bone yards were open on Sunday a 6PM, I dropped a $100 bill(tax included) for an ICM(LLW or another 100,000 miles).

3.1 started up and runs great again. Only 156,000 miles and I am planning on driving it another 100,000. Just like the posters said, test, test, test. I put a fuel filter and Coil on I didn't need. Also bought a vacuum I might never use again, but it probably did tell me the engine was fine. The key find was lack of spark on a couple of plugs. Also fuel pressure tester Loan Tool from Autozone verified my fuel pump was in good shape.

Total cost to fix:$165 plus fuel to get parts. Anytime one of my cars goes to the Auto shop, it's usually $300 to $500 to get it back, so probably saved $150, plus I doubt their ICM would be Lifetime Warranty.

ICM - $100
Coil - $25
Fuel Filter- $10
Vacuum Gauge - $25
My time - Free(shouldn't be)


Thank you for all your input.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
mrslawrence mrslawrence is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Injectors?

This sounds like the problem we are having with our 98 LTZ (Lumina). I drove the car to and from work all week without a problem. My husband started it tonight and heard a "POP" sound followed by a puff of smoke from the engine. Engine immediately died.

I came out and restarted the car. It would only stay running if I had pressure on the gas pedal. Subsequently, after a few times revving the engine, it stayed on by itself but idled up and down almost sputtering. The interior lights fluctuated with the engine. We drove it around the block and while the gas was being pushed it drove alright. Did notice the brake stopped working altogether.. the pedal got stiff and wouldn't be depressed at all.

My question: What is an ICM and does anyone think this could be my problem? I'm super dooper broke (with a mini van that needs front end work) and would like to hear about cheapest fixes first...

thank you
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-10-2011, 07:57 AM
dafeeder dafeeder is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Injectors?

Lose of Brake with engine missing, sounds like a vacuum. Autozone can check out the Ignition Control Module(ICM) and coils for you and they all come off real easy. I would do a search under loss of brake or vaccum.
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 Mustang GT - Injectors & MAF?? ndean52 Performance 1 05-03-2010 11:26 AM
help! fuel injector problem Suzannes Caravan | Voyager 9 11-07-2009 01:06 PM
91 4.3 Injectors Will Not Pulse chaddeaton Problem Diagnosis 1 03-10-2009 05:33 PM
Greddy/Denso injectors or FIC injectors nick96gst Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain 4 08-03-2007 08:36 AM
440cc injector injector ? redtegb18b1 Let's get Technical! 8 01-31-2005 09:23 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts