-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Hemi Killer Hemi Killer is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 610
Thanks: 108
Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Tamiya putty, standard type and white

I was just in Las Vegas on business and I found a hobby shop to terrorize while I was in town. It was primarily an RC shop, so didnt get much help from the employees with the models.

I bought two packs of Tamiya putty, standard and white. I dont know what they are. I just know I cant get it anywhere around here, my LHS cannot get it and everything on Ebay comes from Japan. I thought why not, its Tamiya, cant be bad right?

I have used Squadron putty in the past, but not too fond of it. Is the Tamiya stuff a similar type, or would e a replacement for the Squadron putty? Its not epoxy right?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2012, 11:45 PM
SmokeyR67 SmokeyR67 is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 114
Thanks: 20
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: Tamiya putty, standard type and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Killer View Post
I was just in Las Vegas on business and I found a hobby shop to terrorize while I was in town. It was primarily an RC shop, so didnt get much help from the employees with the models.

I bought two packs of Tamiya putty, standard and white. I dont know what they are. I just know I cant get it anywhere around here, my LHS cannot get it and everything on Ebay comes from Japan. I thought why not, its Tamiya, cant be bad right?

I have used Squadron putty in the past, but not too fond of it. Is the Tamiya stuff a similar type, or would e a replacement for the Squadron putty? Its not epoxy right?
For mine, it's very similar, it dries a little too quickly to work smoothly, but takes days to cure, shrinking as it does.

These days I tend to fill with styrene sheet (punch out disks for ejector pin marks)or rod, and smooth it with Gunze mr dissolved putty.

Shane
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2012, 01:30 AM
turbothirtytwo's Avatar
turbothirtytwo turbothirtytwo is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 227
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Re: Tamiya putty, standard type and white

I use white, cures faster than basic, depends on what you want to fill.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turbothirtytwo For This Useful Post:
Hemi Killer (06-09-2012)
  #4  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM
John18d John18d is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 12
Thanked 126 Times in 120 Posts
Re: Tamiya putty, standard type and white

Hemi-Killer - I have both the Tamiya "basic" and "white" putties - I have yet to use the basic type as the white type has worked for all my purposes. I let the white putty dry overnight - a minimum of 12 hours to cure - and I find it speads very easily because it is more "fluid" viscous than squadron putties. When I spread the white putty I either use a spreader tool or my finger with a nitrile glove on it. I have found that it doesn't pay to Spread the putty too much - just put it on and spread once quickly and leave it. If you need to apply more let that dry first. The white putty can be thinned and smoothed by adding a little lacquer thinner. unlike a previous posting I have not found it to shrink or crack - and it sands very well wet or dry. Sometimes if it is not completely cured "dried" it will plug and clog the sandpaper. I do not use it to fill large gaps - I use miliput for that and when dry a light coat of "white" Tamiya over that. - PM me if you want to discuss techniques etc. - hope that helps you Hemi - John
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John18d For This Useful Post:
Hemi Killer (06-09-2012)
  #5  
Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Hemi Killer Hemi Killer is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 610
Thanks: 108
Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
Re: Tamiya putty, standard type and white

that helps alot guys, thank you
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Vette Modeller Vette Modeller is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Tamiya putty, standard type and white

I use the White. It fries faster then the grey or any other basic putty and is also finer in texture. Since I also always prime surfaces in white it also works best from that angle.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vette Modeller For This Useful Post:
Hemi Killer (06-09-2012)
  #7  
Old 06-10-2012, 07:59 AM
stevenoble's Avatar
stevenoble stevenoble is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,199
Thanks: 8
Thanked 111 Times in 107 Posts
Re: Tamiya putty, standard type and white

I prefer to use automotive fillers as they don't shrink as they dry. For most filling I use the 2 part polyester type (Plastic Padding) and then for filling any left over pin holes I use either Impa Finissage or 3m Acryl Red. They cost more than the hobby fillers but you do get a very large tube which lasts forever..
__________________
Steve Noble
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tamiya putty basic type ky0 Car Modeling 12 01-24-2006 01:31 PM
Will Tamiya putty work for rebuilding a white metal part? Captain Mark Car Modeling 1 12-18-2005 04:46 AM
Help with Tamiya Epoxy Putty Quick Type ImolaEK Car Modeling 14 04-11-2004 07:43 PM
tamiya epoxy quick type putty rx7king Car Modeling 10 12-12-2003 03:58 PM
Tamiya Putty?!?! fullbloodchop01 Car Modeling 6 12-30-2002 12:44 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts