-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-22-2011, 04:30 PM
denisond3 denisond3 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,323
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
87 G20 SportVan fuel pump not running, and trans rebulding...

My 87 G20 sport van has no fuel pressure and I dont hear the pump when I first turn on the ign. key - so I want to find & check out the fuel pump relay. I bought a wiring diagram from ebay today, so when that arrives it might tell me where to look. Or someone on this forum may know. It has the 350 engine with throttle body & (I think) the 700R4 transmission. I replaced the fuel pump 2000 miles ago, so I hope its not that. What I then thought was a bad fuel pump might have been a failing pump relay.
If I dump a little gas down into the throttle plate, the enigne will fire up and run nicely for a couple of seconds.

Its transmission is the 4 speed where 4th is an overdrive ratio. Is that the 700R4? I think it should have a lock-up torque converter, but it doesnt lock up. Is there any reason I shouldnt drop the trans and 'rebuild' it myself, & put in a rebuilt torq. conv.? The vehicle has 260k miles on it, but the trans is marked 'Rebuilt for General Motors" atop the bell housing. Since the trans works fine except for 'no-lockup', I would hope I could just replace the bands and clutches, the seals, "O" rings & gaskets, clean up the valve body, and put it back together; with a rebuilt torque converter. Im a hobbyist, and have successfully rebuilt a couple of the little Mazda/Ford F4EAT transmissions & one A727 torqueflite trans. Being retired I have the time.

We use this van for driving between our winter home in TX & our summer home in N. VA - and I dont want to have it fail me in between. So Im thinking I might want to pre-emptively replace the main & rod bearings. The oil pressure is good though & hasnt changed in the 8 years and 60,000 miles we have had the van, so I dont know if its worth doing.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM
MT-2500's Avatar
MT-2500 MT-2500 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,690
Thanks: 5
Thanked 122 Times in 121 Posts
Re: 87 G20 SportVan fuel pump not running, and trans rebulding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisond3 View Post
My 87 G20 sport van has no fuel pressure and I dont hear the pump when I first turn on the ign. key - so I want to find & check out the fuel pump relay. I bought a wiring diagram from ebay today, so when that arrives it might tell me where to look. Or someone on this forum may know. It has the 350 engine with throttle body & (I think) the 700R4 transmission. I replaced the fuel pump 2000 miles ago, so I hope its not that. What I then thought was a bad fuel pump might have been a failing pump relay.
If I dump a little gas down into the throttle plate, the enigne will fire up and run nicely for a couple of seconds.

Its transmission is the 4 speed where 4th is an overdrive ratio. Is that the 700R4? I think it should have a lock-up torque converter, but it doesnt lock up. Is there any reason I shouldnt drop the trans and 'rebuild' it myself, & put in a rebuilt torq. conv.? The vehicle has 260k miles on it, but the trans is marked 'Rebuilt for General Motors" atop the bell housing. Since the trans works fine except for 'no-lockup', I would hope I could just replace the bands and clutches, the seals, "O" rings & gaskets, clean up the valve body, and put it back together; with a rebuilt torque converter. Im a hobbyist, and have successfully rebuilt a couple of the little Mazda/Ford F4EAT transmissions & one A727 torqueflite trans. Being retired I have the time.

We use this van for driving between our winter home in TX & our summer home in N. VA - and I dont want to have it fail me in between. So Im thinking I might want to pre-emptively replace the main & rod bearings. The oil pressure is good though & hasnt changed in the 8 years and 60,000 miles we have had the van, so I dont know if its worth doing.
Relay under hood.

Check fuse CHK/FP first.

And check for any power to fuel pump.
May be tan/white wire to fuel pump.
But on some it goes threw a hot fuel module.

It is equiped with a oil pressure switch for fuel pump incase relay fails.

Cranking enough to bring up oil pressure should turn on fuel pump if relay is bad.
__________________
Remember proper testing gives us the answer to many problems.
MT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 AM
denisond3 denisond3 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,323
Thanks: 2
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Re: 87 G20 SportVan fuel pump not running, and trans rebulding...

I found & fixed the fuel pump 'not running' problem. Having dropped the tank, I found a bad connection where the wires from the pump connect to a fitting on the 'lid' of the sender and pump support. I soldered the connection, put it back together, re-installed the tank. All is well.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
MT-2500's Avatar
MT-2500 MT-2500 is offline
AF - Advisor
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,690
Thanks: 5
Thanked 122 Times in 121 Posts
Re: 87 G20 SportVan fuel pump not running, and trans rebulding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisond3 View Post
I found & fixed the fuel pump 'not running' problem. Having dropped the tank, I found a bad connection where the wires from the pump connect to a fitting on the 'lid' of the sender and pump support. I soldered the connection, put it back together, re-installed the tank. All is well.
Good find.
Thanks for posting back how it went.
Good luck
__________________
Remember proper testing gives us the answer to many problems.
MT
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
97 GS, Fuel Pump Not Running sea-doin-it Regal 5 12-12-2009 08:21 PM
91 corsica 3.1 fuel pump not pumping miecow Corsica 3 05-04-2009 11:39 PM
97 Sable not starting -- fuel pump not running old1dad Sable 1 04-27-2005 03:24 AM
92 2.2 Cavalier not firing and fuel pump not running peewee2 Cavalier Problem Diagnosis 2 03-07-2005 08:36 PM
fuel pump not running when key is turned mobzs Blazer 5 06-15-2004 01:06 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Express | G Van


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts