-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:59 AM
imidazol97 imidazol97 is offline
AF -Advisor
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 787
Thanks: 3
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Strut and shock change

What strut brand and rear shocks have readers here used for 2003 leSabre replacements? I am interested in a controlled b ut smooth ride with more control than the originals on the Celebration model with 16 inch wheels. But I don't want a harsh ride like a Honda.

Is it recommended to replace the bearings above the struts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: STrut and shock change

I like KYB over Monroes, remember you have air shocks in the rear. Yes I would replace the upper strut bearings mine are noisey at 110k. Monroe does make rear air shocks that can work with the air line splice kit, they do ride harder though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2010, 01:01 PM
imidazol97 imidazol97 is offline
AF -Advisor
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 787
Thanks: 3
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Re: STrut and shock change

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
I like KYB over Monroes, remember you have air shocks in the rear. Yes I would replace the upper strut bearings mine are noisey at 110k. Monroe does make rear air shocks that can work with the air line splice kit, they do ride harder though.
I was concerned about the rear shocks that Monroe has being too stiff for a leSabre. After talking to others, I've decided to put on the Monroe Sensatracs stuts and the MA822 rear shocks. I'm replacing the bearings and other parts for the struts up front except the springs. I considered replacing the springs with a QuickStrut all-in-one unit, but I am keeping the old springs.

So after the rockauto.com shipments gets here next week, I'll start putting pieces on. The rockauto price was lower than local stores by a good amount and the 5% discount with the code number here paid for the shipping. The shipping was not a great cost like I thought it would be when I priced them. On some past items where I had priced on item, the shipping cut into the savings. On the several heavy parts in one order the shipping was modest...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Jrs3800 Jrs3800 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,281
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Smile Re: Strut and shock change

You'll be fine with the Monroes... The ride will be a tad firmer or possibly more controlled... It will still have a compliant ride...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
imidazol97 imidazol97 is offline
AF -Advisor
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 787
Thanks: 3
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Re: Strut and shock change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs3800 View Post
You'll be fine with the Monroes... The ride will be a tad firmer or possibly more controlled... It will still have a compliant ride...
I was very concerned about the rear shocks being stiff. The Bonneville owners seemed really happy with the rear air shocks.

I was surprised by Rockauto's shipping. I ordered about 2-3 pm on a Friday. At 6 or so on the order it said the paperwork had been sent to FedEx. I expected that mean FedEx would get the actual shipment on Monday.

Instead later that evening, when I looked again is said delivery was on Saturday! FedEx ground had the shipment and they were delivered by 2 pm on Saturday.

Now I have to make time this week to work on my new project. Rears first. Then fronts and then take it to my favorite dealership for an alignment.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Jrs3800 Jrs3800 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,281
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Re: Strut and shock change

The good thing is that the alignment setting on the 03 LeSabre is next to nothing, there really is almost not room for adjustment.... So you will be extremely close no matter what you do...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 PM
maxwedge maxwedge is offline
A990 racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 17,072
Thanks: 26
Thanked 388 Times in 379 Posts
Re: Strut and shock change

Get it lined up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM
imidazol97 imidazol97 is offline
AF -Advisor
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 787
Thanks: 3
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Re: Strut and shock change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs3800 View Post
The good thing is that the alignment setting on the 03 LeSabre is next to nothing, there really is almost not room for adjustment.... So you will be extremely close no matter what you do...
That's good to know. I was worried about driving 12-13 miles to the dealer for the alignment. So it should be close on the toe-in and the camber if we're careful about the wobble bolts positioning...

But I definitely will get it realigned. It's been a couple of years since I had its first at about 80-85K mi.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Jrs3800 Jrs3800 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,281
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Re: Strut and shock change

Yeah its not like the older H bodies.. The 2000+ H bodies are derived from the Aurora... So there is next to nothing for camber adjustment... But do mark the spring rubber to the spring, and the spring to the strut mount parts unless you are replacing them.. Helps to get everything back together exactly as it came apart.. The rear is pretty easy, but its possible to have a J hook break when removing the bolts at the bottom of the rear shocks..

On the older H bodies 87-99, when ever I touch one I leave myself a series of marks so I can get it as close as possible to be able to drive it to the alignment shop.. A couple of times I was so close to the original settings the guys at the shop scratched their heads... lol

About 1 year ago I replaced the struts on the front of a 2001 Monte Carlo( W Body ) and told the owner it would be off very little but needed an alignment anyhow... He never did the alignment.. A week ago he called and asked us if we could fix his car... He got into a fender bender and some suspension components were destroyed.. It was bad enough that we had to replace the rack, Passenger side lower control arm, strut, strut mount and both outer tie rods.. Guy at the alignment shop said were were just a tad off on the front, the back was further off( common W Body issue )...

It just pays to have your marks and get everything as close as possible.. I don't foresee you having any issues driving it to the shop for the alignment.. If this was my 95 Bonneville or Trans Sport this would be a very different story...lol
Reply With Quote
 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Struts and shocks changed..... northstar1958 Park Avenue 12 02-07-2007 09:14 AM
Changed Struts and Shocks On A 95 Maxima GLE? eightballsidepocke Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 6 03-31-2006 11:10 AM
Struts and Shocks birgit General 7 12-01-2004 03:03 PM
Blown seals in struts and shocks sew3663 Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail 4 09-17-2004 09:08 AM
Any opinions on KYB GR/2 struts and shocks? Theflash Jetta/Vento/Bora 2 06-01-2004 04:31 PM

Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts