-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Drift F.C's Avatar
Drift F.C Drift F.C is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 685
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The worst model that you have put together?

I was rebuilding my AMT 1953 Ford Flipnose ute and remembered how much of a struggle it was to put together - nothing fit!

What has been your worst model kit that you've bought?
__________________
or

2010 QMHE Intermediate Silver - Mini Cooper S
2010 QMHE Intermediate Bronze - 37' Delivery
2011 QMHE Intermediate Silver - Panzer Tank
2011 QMHE Imtermediate Bronze - McLaren M8B
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2010, 01:29 AM
NewTom's Avatar
NewTom NewTom is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 177
Thanks: 4
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

my worst one was my very first car model a Revell 1/24 Ferrari F-310B (it was a set with a Ferrari F50)
absolute useless terrible kit.... never bought Revell kit again....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:51 AM
petesy petesy is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 315
Thanks: 19
Thanked 67 Times in 52 Posts
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

AMT's 70 Chevelle was pretty bad. I bought it after reading a glowing review in a now defunct car modelling magazine.

When I opened the box the parts were horribly warped, and there wasn't much detail to speak off. After playing around with it for a bit I decided it's not worth the time and effort to straighten it up and just tossed it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Lambo003's Avatar
Lambo003 Lambo003 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 683
Thanks: 43
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

AMT's Lamborghini Diablo . . .

The kit is junk . . .

Actually, I never assembled it because after opening the box I quickly came to the conclusion that melting down the kit and sculpting an entire model from scratch would yield better results than the kit ever would . . . lol

To think there was over a 9 month wait for that kit and delay after delay from AMT . . .
__________________
Chuck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Drift F.C's Avatar
Drift F.C Drift F.C is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 685
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

Sounds like AMT is the worst!

The newer AMT kits like the Catalina and Electra aren't too bad!
__________________
or

2010 QMHE Intermediate Silver - Mini Cooper S
2010 QMHE Intermediate Bronze - 37' Delivery
2011 QMHE Intermediate Silver - Panzer Tank
2011 QMHE Imtermediate Bronze - McLaren M8B
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM
tonioseven's Avatar
tonioseven tonioseven is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,565
Thanks: 363
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

Trumpeter '60 Bonneville.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 PM
ToyTundra's Avatar
ToyTundra ToyTundra is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

1/35 humvee. I don't recall the brand, but it was terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
bikouros's Avatar
bikouros bikouros is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 120
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

Well, I'll forego my first few kits when I started out (10 years ago).
My worst over the last five years or so would either be

UT 1997 Porsche Evo. Looked great out of box, a million pieces and removable front and rear cowling. Absolutley terrible fitment. Due to so many pieces, things rarely fit together properly and was a general heap of crap when I finished it. I dismantled it a few months later for pieces. Interestingly enough, I purchased it again a few years later things turned out really well.

Revell Benetton B194. Need I say more? Paint was difficult and the decals were horrendous. Have it hiding in my box of 'rejects' in my closet.

Tamiya Arta NSX. The kit was really nice overall (its a Tamiya) but, it was my own fault it turned out horrendous. Screwed up th paint to an unfixable level, lost a few decals and even a side mirror! What a shame, it would have looked great finashed (properley). also in my 'rejects' box.
__________________
Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Yovillian Yovillian is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonioseven View Post
Trumpeter '60 Bonneville.
Wow, the Trumpeter '78 Monte Carlo came to mind as my worst but then I just thought maybe it wasn't the kit but my extreme disappointment with it. Interesting another Trumpeter kit was mentioned...
I am currently building the Revell Porsche 914, but I knew going in it was tricky, had no real expectations otherwise, and am really enjoying the build so far.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2010, 03:37 PM
turbothirtytwo's Avatar
turbothirtytwo turbothirtytwo is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 227
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

1/12 fujimi skyline, many details wrong. many details missing, terrible fitment of openable or other parts, loads of sink marks- maybe because its also ment to be a toy and a model in one BUT with some effort it can be built into nice replica
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 PM
tonioseven's Avatar
tonioseven tonioseven is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,565
Thanks: 363
Thanked 47 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbothirtytwo View Post
1/12 fujimi skyline, many details wrong. many details missing, terrible fitment of openable or other parts, loads of sink marks- maybe because its also ment to be a toy and a model in one BUT with some effort it can be built into nice replica
Here's what can be done with the kit... http://www.spc.org.uk/nissan/1-12-skyline.html
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-19-2010, 01:08 AM
turbothirtytwo's Avatar
turbothirtytwo turbothirtytwo is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 227
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

hi tonio. I know steves build. I am taking lots of inspiration from it and thats why I bought mine, but I didnt realized from that pics its that bad.IŽll post some progress pics soon
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 AM
quadzero's Avatar
quadzero quadzero is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,519
Thanks: 3
Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to quadzero
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

The 57 Corvette in my sig by AMT-ERTL. I couldn't believe how the fit was so bad and so poorly engineered. Despite this, I still enjoyed the model and would do it again. Althou to be fair I did scratch build alot and made many modifications. To build it out of the box would be clearly beyond my patience and skill.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
rsxse240 rsxse240 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Send a message via AIM to rsxse240
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

Pretty much any AMT kit that came out before the 87 Chevy 1500 series pickup was the worst kit in the world with the exception of the 59 Mercury Coupe, that one was and will always be one of my favorite kits to play around with.

If AMT were not involved, I'd have to say the Tamiya Lamborghini LP400S (the motorized version) was hands down the worst model I've ever tried to put together, it eventually became a parts donor for some junk box project that ended up going in the trash.
__________________
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Ferrari TR's Avatar
Ferrari TR Ferrari TR is offline
Not A Hoarder!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Ferrari TR
Re: The worst model that you have put together?

I thought Revell would be leading here.
Lets see... Revell Ferrari 308 'Magnum P.I.' Tons of flash, the body where the engine cover goes was just a mess, the front hood was warped, the grill was badly molded and i'm sure there was more. It was one of the first models i built as an adult. I had a new airbrush, i was started with new paint (the then new Tamiya line) and still the kit was the hardest part. Then there's the Lotus Esprit, OMG. I've given up and restarted this PITA too many times to count. Their Porsche Speedster was no prize either. I'll give it some slack for its age, but the multi piece body was at best challenging. Their VW Beetle is a mess too, with tons of flash, bad chrome and complicated assemblys.
__________________
SCCA 7, The lost Z
Contest entry thread: Mystery?
Beetle + Boxster = Bugster, P.T. Panel:click here Diablo Roadster: click here, & Porsche C2 Cab
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts