-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM
poormillionaire2 poormillionaire2 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,723
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basic Care

So, I got a newb question. I got an 09 Ninja last spring. Fun as hell. Anyways, I need to thoroughly clean and lube my chain. How do you guys clean it? what do you use? I already bought more chain lube that was recommended to me. I was told to clean the chain, heat it up, then spray it down, then let it set overnight. Does that sound about right? Any advice would be great. Thanks.
__________________
Sold
1994 Camaro Z28


Current Car
2003 Monte Carlo SS


Sold
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
speediva's Avatar
speediva speediva is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,253
Thanks: 110
Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Re: Basic Care

Here's how I've always cleaned/lubed up my bike chain:

1) Go for a little ride... maybe 15-20 miles. Just long enough to get the bike up to operating temp.
2) Use chain cleaner - they sell some things or I usually just used kerosene. Put the cleaner on a clean cloth and roll the bike forward (or roll the tire if you have rearsets) to clean the whole chain the whole way around. You might need to "scrub" some spots or go over them again. It won't be "sparkling" but it's not supposed to be.
3) Apply chain lube - this could be wax, a spray, or I've even seen some pastes. Now, don't go too heavy on application... you want to apply it, let it set for a second (the chain should still be a little warm at this point). Then you want to wipe off the excess. If you put on too much, the lube can end up all over your wheel and/or tire... and if you really put on too much it can end up all over your undertail (don't ask how I know... LOL)

After that I usually try to take another short-ish ride and see if it's spraying off or if it's looking OK.

Congrats on the bike, btw! I LOVE the new Ninjas
__________________
Like a boy - but BETTER!

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2010, 06:52 PM
poormillionaire2 poormillionaire2 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,723
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Basic Care

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try here soon.
__________________
Sold
1994 Camaro Z28


Current Car
2003 Monte Carlo SS


Sold
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 500R
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts