-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Impcyl Impcyl is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Caprice Lean's to one side

I have a 94 caprice LS 5.7ltr that leans to one side (passenger side) it has never been in an accident, I have replaced the shocks and springs but it still leans? This is the 3rd caprice I have had and 1 other had the same lean, I have noticed other caprice's that have the same lean. Is this a manufacturer defect? Need some help.. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Caprice Lean's to one side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impcyl View Post
I have a 94 caprice LS 5.7ltr that leans to one side (passenger side) it has never been in an accident, I have replaced the shocks and springs but it still leans? This is the 3rd caprice I have had and 1 other had the same lean, I have noticed other caprice's that have the same lean. Is this a manufacturer defect? Need some help.. Thanks
there is more weight on the passenger side so this causes a slight 1/2 inch drop on that side..

what springs did you use,,part number ?
some have installed new springs and have cut the driverside spring to get the correct even height..it is more work time but the vehicle is level..

you could remove the driverside spring and with a cut off wheel , and reduce the spring height slightly..

I have also read that some springs supplied , are made for the specific side to avoid this issue ...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Blue Bowtie's Avatar
Blue Bowtie Blue Bowtie is offline
Registered Offender
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,566
Thanks: 8
Thanked 346 Times in 341 Posts
Re: Caprice Lean's to one side

My '94 has the same ground clearance specification (factory) on both sides. Fortunately, both sides are now considerably lower than the factory spec.
__________________
Permanent seat assignment on the Group W bench...
Automotive Forums Survival Guide
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Impcyl Impcyl is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Caprice Lean's to one side

Thanks for your help, I think that may be my problem then. I bought some springs at the Zone and I'm sure they were not the best quality! I think I'll just go to the Dealer and get the OEM but for the one's for the SS. Thanks again,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
there is more weight on the passenger side so this causes a slight 1/2 inch drop on that side..

what springs did you use,,part number ?
some have installed new springs and have cut the driverside spring to get the correct even height..it is more work time but the vehicle is level..

you could remove the driverside spring and with a cut off wheel , and reduce the spring height slightly..

I have also read that some springs supplied , are made for the specific side to avoid this issue ...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2009, 07:04 PM
96capricemgr 96capricemgr is offline
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Caprice Lean's to one side

First I would check to see the springs are clocked properly.

Then if buying springs I might look at aftermarket moog or the like has a lot more options than OEM.

Are you concerned on a purely cosmetic level?

I would have someone measure height with you in the driver's seat. Seems to me the right way to setup a car would be slightly higher on the driver's side without driver so the car sits level with driver.
__________________
96 Caprice Medium Garnet Red
11.56 at 115.9mph naturally aspirated
94 Caprice wagon, rotted out POS
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Blt2Lst's Avatar
Blt2Lst Blt2Lst is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 646
Thanks: 4
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Caprice Lean's to one side

I think the lean is a relative thing. You only notice it when you are out of the car looking at it from behind.
However, when you are seated in the car, it probably levels itself out from the added driver weight.
You could have someone measure it but you won't notice it from the inside.

My 89 Mustang also has the " mustang lean" possibly from it being beat on by the previous owner.

I would look into some Eibach springs for your ride. However they do lower the car 1.2"

http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...29282500012340
__________________
1989 Caprice Classic Wagon, Olds 307 ,SMI Q-Jet, 200R4 w/Shift kit, Flowmaster 50, Hotchkiss sway bars, KYB Shocks. Jet Chip,
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5sp convertible
1992 Camry LE 2.2
1996 Suzuki RMX250


I'm a victim of circumstance [
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2009, 10:13 AM
j cAT j cAT is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,898
Thanks: 8
Thanked 432 Times in 431 Posts
Re: Caprice Lean's to one side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impcyl View Post
Thanks for your help, I think that may be my problem then. I bought some springs at the Zone and I'm sure they were not the best quality! I think I'll just go to the Dealer and get the OEM but for the one's for the SS. Thanks again,,
I have owned this 96 impala since nov of 1995,,followed many forums specific to my vehicle...your spring problem is well known...and many owners that have these vehicles are very very picky about their wheels and how it sets in the wheel well and using 20in tires etc....

not on these forum though...

GM springs are about 200 ea...

I would check out JEGS EDELBROCK #350-5243....A SET OF 4 SPRINGS FOR 280.oo.

springs need to be completely replaced all 4...this way the spring will all match and your handling will be correct...these springs are set for the same height as impala oem..on a caprice the vehicle will set lower about 1 inch or so,,,should look good on a caprice...

after the springs take a set a couple of thousand miles get the alignment...
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Chevrolet > Caprice


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts