-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
1999montana's Avatar
1999montana 1999montana is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 523
Thanks: 28
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Headlight Haze

My son noticed that the headlights didn't seem to throw a lot of light on the highway at night.

Yesterday I took the headlight assemblies out and cleaned the lenses on the bench with some polishing compound and an electric drill with a lamb's wool buffing pad. Amazing how buffing the lenses changed the clarity of the lens and reflective qualities.

3M has a kit for doing the same thing. I saw it at the AAPEX / SEMA show in Las Vegas last November. The kit costs about $20 USD or about $30 CDN. It comes with three grades of sanding discs and a buffing pad with compound to complete the job. The 3M kit goes a bit further in cleaning the lens though by removing any stone chips and irregularities due to road damage.

But, for about 20 minutes work and no cost, I'm happy with the way it turned out.
__________________
If I had my way, every GM car I ever owned would be a Chrysler!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:50 PM
'97ventureowner's Avatar
'97ventureowner '97ventureowner is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,311
Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Re: Headlight Haze

I've noticed other threads on this site from other members who have reported good results buffing out the haze and improving the quality of their headlights. Thanks for the update on this product. I'll have to remember it if I should need to use something like that in the future.
It's a whole different ballgame out there nowadays. Back then when you had this issue, all you had to do was replaced the sealed glass headlight with a new one and you were good to go.
__________________
Thought for the Day… Alcohol does not make you fat - It makes you lean... against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.



If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2009, 05:48 PM
spike88 spike88 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 283
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Headlight Haze

I too find the "low beam" on the Uplander / Montana vans very poor. I'm currently waiting for "H11 ULTRA SilverStar Headlight Bulbs" to be available in my area. If wondering, I replaced factory bulbs with SS Ultra bulbs in my previous vehicle and was very impressed. These Ultras seem to be 30% (or so) brighter. Hoping the H11/55W SS Ultras will be available (and affordable) in my remote area soon.

For more details, surf: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...ce/Silverstar/

re:
Low beam headlamp
H11
H11ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H11XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

High beam headlamp
H11
H11ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H11XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

Note: If my new van blew a headlight bulb today, I'd be "special ordering" new SS Ultra bulbs tomorrow. Especially if the low beam bulb blew. That's how impressed I am with their SS Ultra line.

.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 PM
1999montana's Avatar
1999montana 1999montana is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 523
Thanks: 28
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: Headlight Haze

Here's the link for the 3M lens restoration kit:

http://www.shop3m.com/60455033872.html

Price update: $24.99 USD
__________________
If I had my way, every GM car I ever owned would be a Chrysler!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Chucky cheese Chucky cheese is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Headlight Haze

Used the 3M kit and wow. Made the headlamps like new and of coarse I can see so much better at night. When you start you are actually sanding the lens and you start wondering what have I done here, but dont worry follow the instructions. I am very pleased with this product. Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2009, 11:57 AM
spike88 spike88 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 283
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Headlight Haze

.

In addition to polishing the outer light assembly lens, may I recommend replacing factory H11 bulbs with modified H9 bulbs as well. To make the H9 bulbs fit, simply modify the plastic connector and the steel locking base of the H9 bulb. Simple 5 minute modification for each light bulb. If wondering, H11 bulbs are 55W lights. H9 are 65W lights. re: 10W brighter - on factory wiring and factory light assembly. And best of all, the normal "on shelf" H9 bulbs cost much less compared to the "super bright" H11 bulbs. Like the Ultra Star / Ultra bright H11 bulbs (which are often special order as well).

For more details of H11 to "brighter bulb" H9 bulb conversion, surf:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-ge...onversion.html


This worked great on my '09 Montana van...


Hope this helps your van as well...

.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
kcarlen kcarlen is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 68
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Headlight Haze

The 3M link doesn't work...
any more information anywhere?

I tried the Oven cleaner trick mentioned in past posts....wasted my time and efforts...
Actually seemed to make it worse.
I am interested in exactly what abrasives that are required.....to avoid the sudden heart/blood pressure spike and sweat attack when I realize that I am grinding into the plastic!

Any other pointers?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
rkvons's Avatar
rkvons rkvons is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 820
Thanks: 23
Thanked 43 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Headlight Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarlen View Post

Any other pointers?
Type "headlight polish" into your browser search and hit return.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM
spike88 spike88 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 283
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Headlight Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999montana View Post
Here's the link for the 3M lens restoration kit:

http://www.shop3m.com/60455033872.html

Price update: $24.99 USD
Is correct URL http://www.shop3m.com/3m-headlight-l...on-system.html ????

Just wondering...

.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 PM
1999montana's Avatar
1999montana 1999montana is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 523
Thanks: 28
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Smile Re: Headlight Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike88 View Post
Is correct URL http://www.shop3m.com/3m-headlight-l...on-system.html ????

Just wondering...

.
Yep,...looks like 3M moved the original page I mentioned...you got it dead on!
__________________
If I had my way, every GM car I ever owned would be a Chrysler!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 PM
MarkNYC MarkNYC is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Headlight Haze

I bought a set of new ones for only $ 90.00 and free shipping. It was easy to install and restored the brightness of my headlights to brand new. They are aftermarket and box was marked Eagle Eyes brand. See link below for description.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Headl...1/AM-13029798/
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts