Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Clio/Clio II/Clio III
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
jameswithaclio
AF Newbie

2001 clio, electronic fault light comes on, car loses power

Hi, firstly im a bit of a car novice so ill just try and tell you everything about the car in the hope that most of it is useful!

Car is a 2001 5dr 1.2 Clio Expression, had it for a year and a half with no problems, last MOT was january and it passed.

About a month ago for the first time i noticed the car felt strange and a light had come on on the dashboard. The car had lost almost all of its power and was struggling along at 5mph. I stopped the car and restarted it - problem solved.

i later looked up the symbol that had lit up and it means theres an electronic fault? the problem is intermitant and i can go most days without it appearing, but yesterday was by far worse.

I was still able to solve the problem by restarting the car, but it would recur every 30 seconds or so and I would be left with very little power.

Anyone have any ideas about this? If its a matter of replacing the battery or something i can probably do it myself so id rather not take it in to a dealership etc.

Cheers
jameswithaclio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
stuuuu
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to stuuuu
Re: 2001 clio, electronic fault light comes on, car loses power

Hello james...

i have the same problem, mine started off like yours but over the past few weeks has got so much worse!!

im sorry to tell you that its not as easy as changing the battery.... ive had my car put on to a code reader, and nothing has come up, now ive been told its the icv (idle control valve) which is around £200 inc part & VAT.

so your best bet is to get it connected to a code reader and see what it
says...

this seems to be a very common problem with clio's, and as you might guess, renualt have not got a clio how to fix it!!

hope this helps..

if you find the solution can you post a reply...?

thanks

stuuuu
stuuuu is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Clio/Clio II/Clio III