-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Register FAQ Community
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-09-2006, 09:30 AM
vpldivy vpldivy is offline
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry fuel pump & starter

I've had my grand prix se for 4 years without any problems at all. Last week I go to start back to work and stop @ the local speedway for a second, get back into the car and starter sounds horrible, will barely crank. I get it towed and next day dealer tells me that fuel pump has no pressure. I tell them to get it running and save the old fuel pump. I get a call to come pick it up the next day and when I get in it it won't start at all. Sounds the same way it did before it was towed. They tried to sell me a $500 starter. I told them not to touch it and I would furnish a starter the next day.

diagnosis: I think they botched the diagnosis and the starter was the whole problem and of course they put the starter on it for me for "FREE". I 'm thinking about taking them to court to recover the cost of the "bad" fuel pump. what do you think???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2006, 12:30 PM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: fuel pump & starter

Have you complained to the dealer that did the work? As long as the starter was the cause for sure, it won't hurt to put the dealer on notice and inform them you plan on seeking redress and take them to small claims court. I would not get a lawyer involved unless absolutely necessary. Save the old pump and starter as evidence. But make sure the old starter is bad and the old fuel pump is good. Good luck!



__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2006, 01:55 PM
vpldivy vpldivy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Re: fuel pump & starter

thanks moderator!
HOW DO I MAKE SURE OLD FUEL PUMP STILL WORKS? CAN IT BE TESTED ONSITE @ A PARTS STORE? ALSO HOW CAN I TELL IF IT'S BAD JUST BY USE INSTEAD OF BAD BY TAMPERING?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2006, 02:48 PM
BNaylor's Avatar
BNaylor BNaylor is offline
AF Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 18,017
Thanks: 30
Thanked 54 Times in 42 Posts
Re: fuel pump & starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpldivy
thanks moderator!
HOW DO I MAKE SURE OLD FUEL PUMP STILL WORKS? CAN IT BE TESTED ONSITE @ A PARTS STORE? ALSO HOW CAN I TELL IF IT'S BAD JUST BY USE INSTEAD OF BAD BY TAMPERING?
Re-installing it would be the best way. But you can connect 12 volts directly to the input pin and a ground to the ground pin for a very short period of time and listen to it spin. The 12 volt input (hot) must be fused with a 15 amp fuse for safety. To check flow you will have to submerge the fuel pump pod in a bucket of gasoline but I would not recommend doing that for obvious reasons. All it will take is one spark and you'll have mess on your hands. Do you have the complete fuel pump pod assembly like pictured below?





__________________

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2006, 08:14 PM
vpldivy vpldivy is offline
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red face Re: fuel pump & starter

Yes, I do have both the pump and the old starter. Thanks for the info on how to test it.
question: Is Chilton's the best place to go for a full blown version of the repair manual? I don't want it on CD, I'd like something I can read and follow instructions from. I've done searches and don't know if their even published yet.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts