-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-29-2006, 02:57 AM
gthompson97's Avatar
gthompson97 gthompson97 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,625
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97
Worked on my cars tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment (56k beware, 14 pics)

Well for the first time since I've been home from school I was able to get out and work on a couple of my cars. After digging into my 420a for a couple minutes, I think I'm getting into something a little bigger than I expected. Some of you may know that last year on the 4th of July, my Eclipse blew up and started on fire. Luckily a trucker stopped and put it out before it did any real damage to the rest of the car, but it got some of the engine bay. Anyways, I decided to pull out the motor tonight and see exactly what I'm up against.

This is what I started out with. It took me a little less than 3 hours to go from a complete engine bay to a pulled motor and on the stand, which is about an hour short of my previous record. But I haven't worked on the car for a year so I guess I could be a little rusty.







As you can see, I obviously spit a rod through the block. My theory as to why the fire started is that when the rod went through the block, it splashed oil onto the fans and they blew it all over and some of it got onto the battery, therefore causing the battery to explode and starting the fire. Yay for holes in block.





The fire didn't really do any damage to the physical being of the engine except ruining some sensors and hoses, but those are easy to replace. Being as my intake/exhaust manifolds are ported and the head is matched to both, I'm happy that I can at least save those if I plan to build the 420a again.

I planned on getting to the GST tonight, but after fucking around for a good hour or two before actually getting to work I ran out of time. So it still sits as this picture shows.





Hey Thor, here are the pictures I promised you, just don't pitch any tents please.








MMM check out those ports!!!!!


Ok now a question for everyone, does this picture look like the block has been broken and then tried to be fixed? That's what I'm thinking and I'm not very happy.





And this REALLY pisses me off. When he painted timing belt cover, he put a piece of tape over this fucking hole and painted the tape with everything else so it looked like it hadn't been broken. God damnit.

__________________
95 Talon TSI AWD

97 Eclipse GST

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-29-2006, 03:01 AM
ez1286's Avatar
ez1286 ez1286 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,774
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ez1286
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

I hate to tell you this but none of those pics worked for me they all went to the imageshack homepage.
__________________
95 GSX:FMIC, 6-bolt, evo 3 16g, 2600 act clutch, 1g bov (crushed), and a 3" turbo back exhaust, dsmlink, dks 272 cams, wideband 02, Coming soon 2.3L Stroker, 1mm oversized valves, crower sprigs. 91 TSI AWD auto, gm 3.5 maf, maft, fmic, emanage, profec e-01, 3" turbo bk exhaust +more little stuff.
http://www.ratemydsm.com/member/ez1286/?member=ez1286
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-29-2006, 03:06 AM
gthompson97's Avatar
gthompson97 gthompson97 is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,625
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

Yeah I fixed them now.
__________________
95 Talon TSI AWD

97 Eclipse GST

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-29-2006, 08:53 AM
nova1313's Avatar
nova1313 nova1313 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 905
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

that definately does look like a weld job. Sorry :/
__________________
08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - Plasma Candy Blue
07 Toyota Rav4 - Ltd Ed. 6 Cyl AWD
97 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GS-T 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Killa's Avatar
Killa Killa is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,431
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

man I love your garage.
__________________
GM FOR LIFE !!
NEW 1997 Camaro z28 6 speed
illa never going back to import , but killa alway be nice to any DSM he saw
looking for 2002 Trans Am LSX
UPGRATE 2010 !! 97 Camaro Z28
95 camaro lt1
1992 Pontiac Firebird v6 auto -sold -
Pony 1998 Mustang GT 4.6L Manual. Black
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo manual R.I.P
1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse Manual gray -Sold
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS Auto White - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-29-2006, 09:56 AM
scottsee scottsee is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,677
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to scottsee
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

I really like that Intake Manny!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-29-2006, 10:50 AM
gthompson97's Avatar
gthompson97 gthompson97 is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,625
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer7
man I love your garage.
It's actually a shop, and that's only half of it

As for the weld job, I'm hoping that's the last of the shit that's wrong with it. I'm gonna tear it apart and make sure that everything on the inside is in good shape.
__________________
95 Talon TSI AWD

97 Eclipse GST

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-29-2006, 10:57 AM
-Josh-'s Avatar
-Josh- -Josh- is offline
Automotive love doctor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,000
Thanks: 50
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

Is there any way you can contact this guy or confront him about that? That looks a little to shoddy to trust. You probably plan on running a fair amount of boost, and i'd imagine you're going to want no weak points in that engine cause there's going to be a lot of heat and stress.
__________________
Self improvement is masturbation


AF User Guidelines



What is a mippie? - click
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-29-2006, 11:19 AM
MexRocket's Avatar
MexRocket MexRocket is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,386
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

you could always just strip the paint away to confirm what is under there. =P
__________________
STATUS: Near completion for the Engine
PROJECT BEST 1G IN IL:70% Done
MODS: C2 boost,mbc,B16GEGTurbo,12x28x3x3 FMIC,Ported2gmani,k&n.
Being bought in two weeks: Dsmlink,880's,3"exhaust,piping,suspension,axel,dri lled and slotted brakes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 AM
NateS's Avatar
NateS NateS is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,057
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to NateS
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

You bastard I am also jealous of your garage/shop. But, about the defects you found... I would go over the entire thing very carefully. If he was shaddy about two things he might have rigged other things up. You said you tearing it apart and that is deffinatly a good idea. Other than the small defects I totaly almost had a party in my pants after lookin at the pics. haha
__________________
95 GSX 5 speed
2.3L stroker bored .020 over
Built head
Bullseye/Borg Warner T04B 57 Trim Turbo
RNR 3" turboback w/ o2 eliminator
255 lph Extreme Motorsports fuel pump
Extreme Motorsports mbc
SAFC
Greddy Type S BOV
FMIC (core 28x10.5x3.5)
FIC 650cc fuel injectors
RK Sport Fuel Pressure Regulator

My Car Domain
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Thor06's Avatar
Thor06 Thor06 is offline
Jizzed In My Pants
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,549
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

Damn, nice man! I need to go fix this... uh... problem... they gave me.
__________________



Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-29-2006, 04:43 PM
AbsoluteGTR's Avatar
AbsoluteGTR AbsoluteGTR is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to AbsoluteGTR Send a message via MSN to AbsoluteGTR
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

Man.....that is a sweet garage, and your gst on the right is absolutlely gorgeous..and I am one that hates body kits.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-29-2006, 04:53 PM
blk_srt's Avatar
blk_srt blk_srt is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,318
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to blk_srt Send a message via MSN to blk_srt
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

I'm usually not a fan of body kits and such but your rs is sexy
__________________

2004 Flame Red SRT-4
|Audiobahn 1200Q|Rockford 602s|Jensen flip out dvd|
Mods:
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-29-2006, 04:54 PM
l_eclipse_l's Avatar
l_eclipse_l l_eclipse_l is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,772
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteGTR
Man.....that is a sweet garage, and your gst on the right is absolutlely gorgeous..and I am one that hates body kits.
That's actually the RS....
__________________
'92 3000gt SL

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-29-2006, 07:35 PM
gthompson97's Avatar
gthompson97 gthompson97 is offline
AF Fanatic
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,625
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97
Re: Worked on my car(s) tonight, got some pictures for your enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Josh-
Is there any way you can contact this guy or confront him about that? That looks a little to shoddy to trust. You probably plan on running a fair amount of boost, and i'd imagine you're going to want no weak points in that engine cause there's going to be a lot of heat and stress.
If I had noticed those about two years ago then I would have been able to do something about it, but being that it's been that long I think I'm kind of fucked. And now that I have to tear it apart anyways, maybe I'll just throw in a stroker and make it a REAL beast.

AbsoluteGTR, that's actually an RS. I only wished it was a turbo. But maybe after all it will turn into one. It's the one on the left that is the GST

And thanks for all the sweet comments guys, hopefully I'll be getting more pics all the time now that I can actually work on my shit again.
__________________
95 Talon TSI AWD

97 Eclipse GST

Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts