Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
RB98SS
AF Newbie

Motor/transmission mount ?

Has anyone replaced the transmission/motor mount on a newer 2000-2004 Lesabre? The front mount is broken on my 2000. I'm wondering how big a job it is.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
RB98SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
LeSabre97mint
AF Enthusiast

Re: Motor/transmission mount ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB98SS
Has anyone replaced the transmission/motor mount on a newer 2000-2004 Lesabre? The front mount is broken on my 2000. I'm wondering how big a job it is.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
Gary

Sorry I haven't replaced a mount on a 2000-2004, however, I have done it on a 93 3.8. Basicly the bolts need to come out and the engine lifted high enough to remove the mount. Remove what you need to get to the mount. I would allow a whole day. You might not need it but it would be nice to have extra time than having someone waiting to use the van.

I've also heard that if one mount goes it's a good idea to replace them all. Iv'e always been too cheep to do this.... but it may be a good idea.

Dan
LeSabre97mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

It takes about an hour labor. Remove the bolts in front of the block and two under the frame. Jack engine up enough to pull the old one out. Install mount bolts in block first, and lower engine and mount into crossmember holes. Tighten all four bolts and you are done. Do not waste your money and time on the Anchor brand mounts, I have had mucho problems with them breaking in a short period of time. Sure, they have a lifetime warranty, however that does not cover labor!!
HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:17 AM   #4
RB98SS
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Motor/transmission mount ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotZ28
It takes about an hour labor. Remove the bolts in front of the block and two under the frame. Jack engine up enough to pull the old one out. Install mount bolts in block first, and lower engine and mount into crossmember holes. Tighten all four bolts and you are done. Do not waste your money and time on the Anchor brand mounts, I have had mucho problems with them breaking in a short period of time. Sure, they have a lifetime warranty, however that does not cover labor!!
Was this on a 2000-2004 Lesabre? I know the earlier models are different. The mounts on the latest models are $100 a piece because they are liquid (hydrolic) filled.

The bolts you refer to, are they the other motor/transmission mounts near the front left and right wheels? As far as I can tell there are 3 mounts -- one up front, one near the right and the other near the left wheel. I already loosened the front (bad one) but did not have enough clearance to get it out; the other two were still tight. Do I need to loosen all 3?

Thanks again,

Gary
Old 09-07-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Jack engine up enough to pull the old one out. You do not have to loosen the others. The front transmission (left) mount is the one that takes all the abuse and breaks way before any of the others.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
RB98SS
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Motor/transmission mount ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotZ28
Jack engine up enough to pull the old one out. You do not have to loosen the others. The front transmission (left) mount is the one that takes all the abuse and breaks way before any of the others.

I have done that but it seems to only go so far and then I get no more clearance. The frame of the car moves up with the transmission/motor.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Did you take the two bolts out that are inside the crossmember? Look inside the frame (crossmember) and you will see them on the bottom of the mount. When all four bolts are out, you should be able to lift it out of the frame mount with the engine all the way up on the front left side.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #8
stuzman
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB98SS

Thanks in advance.

Gary

I did this job about a month ago. For your convenience, here are the steps from the factory service manual for a 2000 Buick LeSabre.

REMOVAL:
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Support the engine assembly with a suitable jack.
3. Remove the nut securing the engine mount to the engine mount bracket.
4. Lower the jack allowing the engine to lower slightly.
5. Remove the bolt securing the mount to the frame.
6. Remove the two nuts securing the mount to the frame.
7. Remove the mount.

INSTALLATION:
1. Install the mount.
2. Install the mount attaching bolt and nut to the frame.
3. Install the two nuts securing the mount to the frame.
4. Raise the engine into position.
5. Install the nut to the mount and mount bracket.
6. Tighten the mount nut to 59 lb ft.
7. Remove the engine support jack.
8. Lower the vehicle....job done!
stuzman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre