Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
ctconnol
AF Newbie

Question Diesel in an 85 cj7

Call me crazy but I picked up an 85 cj7 for $450.00 and had some fun with it over the summer. However I have decided since the brake and fuel lines, and bad tranmission to rebuild it. I want it to be different plus I drive a diesel truck so I really want to put a diesel engine in it. Only problem is that I haven't been able to find anything that will fit in it. Anybody have any ideas??
ctconnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 05:25 AM   #2
ctconnol
AF Newbie

Re: Diesel in an 85 cj7

Thanks
ctconnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Diesel in an 85 cj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctconnol
Call me crazy
Okay, you're crazy

The difficult part, IMHO is getting a set up that would allow the 4wd to work. Every diesel I can think of wont bolt up to your trans and TC combination....so you would need an entire diesel 4x4 driveline and fabricate some mounts. A driveline shop could make a couple of custom driveshafts so you could use the stock axles.

All the domestic diesel 4x4 drivelines (GM 6.2/6.5, Cummins 5.9, Ford 6.9/7.3) are all too bulky to fit under the hood without substantial frame and body work. They are all too heavy to be practical, with the front axle you have.

Not too many compact 4x4's came with diesel engines in North America, although they are common overseas. In 1985-86 the XJ/Cherokees had a 2.1L turbo diesel 4 cyl. option (Renault sourced). If you could find the entire driveline, the swap would be relatively easy. For that matter, get an entire diesel XJ parts truck. Their resale value is about $0.00, so the problem is not affordability, its finding one that has not gone to the wreckers.
Otherwise, International used a Nissan 6 cyl turbo diesel in their Scouts in 1980. However, that engine might be a bit long to fit under the hood.

A diesel with a mechanical fuel injection system would be easy to adapt. Modern electronic engine controls, like those introduced in the past 5 years or so would be much more difficult.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
dreymeek
AF Newbie

There are several avenues you can take. GM put a 4.3 v6 diesel in the X cars (Celebrity, etc.). It was a shortened version of their infamous 350 diesel that came in Chevy trucks and Oldsmobiles. In a light vehicle such as a Jeep, it might hold up and work out. It used a GM corporate bellhousing, so a Buick bellhousing will bolt up. Diesels were available in Nissans, Isuzus, Toyotas, and Ford Rangers. The CJ5 was even available with a Cerlist 3 cyl. diesel. You need to go to an industrial engine dealer. They'll have many different small diesels with very familiar names. They use what is called an SAE bellhousing, which comes in 2 sections. The front section is made to bolt to a certain engine and is also the flywheel and clutch housing. The rear section is made to bolt to different transmissions or pump drives, etc. If you look under the hood of a semi, that is how they are set up. If you end up getting your engine from an industrial dealer, make sure you specify how it will be used, since stationary engines for pumps and generators have injection pumps designed for a set running speed.
dreymeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
jwtrapper
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jwtrapper
I have done some searching on this also. From what I have found and saw of some other jeeps w/diesels the Cummins 3.9L 4bt would be the way to go. They can be hard to find and a bit pricy but a good pick. The problems that I see with all of the big name diesels, they are all to heavy. The 4bt is a 3.9L turbo charged 4 cyl.
Here are a few links that I have found on the subject.
I wanted to do the swap so that I could run biodiesel in my jeep. Thats a whole other subject though.

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/04_05.html
http://messages.jeep2diesel.org/
http://visualizit.com/BlueYJ/engines.htm

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > General Discussion