Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 10:27 PM   #1
GT500916
Banned

Send a message via AIM to GT500916
can the clutch pedal be adjusted?

my pedal engages at the top, half of its motion doesnt even do anything , just an empty space of nothing, even though i would have to press it in half way to shift gears i still floor it then shift. Its been like that with my stock clutch , and i installed a stage 3 clutch and its the same, i thought it was maybe because my clutch was worn out, but i guess not. 2 of my friends who have integras, their clutch engages almost by the floor, so you would have to press it all the way then shift then it engages at the low half of the pedals motion, my engages at the top half , and my pedal has about 2 times longer motion range. I dont know if this is like that on all 240s or just mine, but is this something that can be adjusted ? so it will engage by the floor, and/or so the pedal wont have as much motion? because all that motion slows the shifting just like a long shifter is replaced with a short shifter. what do you guys know?
GT500916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
SR20DETpower
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SR20DETpower
wait wait wait... if your pedal disengages the clutch halfway through its travel, and they have to goto the floor to shift gears, why are you complaining that yours takes longer?

in fact how your clutch is setup it will be easier to dump it, launch it, and the clutch won't be getting as much wear and tear from the shorter pedal movement.
SR20DETpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
grncivicdhr
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to grncivicdhr
you can adjust it by moving a nut on a treaded shaft down near the clutch pedal. the tighter you make it, the less your clutch is gonna grip. so don't make it too tight. you'll know when you've gone to far cuz the car will rev up like the clutch has gone bad.
grncivicdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
GT500916
Banned

Re: can the clutch pedal be adjusted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR20DETpower
wait wait wait... if your pedal disengages the clutch halfway through its travel, and they have to goto the floor to shift gears, why are you complaining that yours takes longer?

in fact how your clutch is setup it will be easier to dump it, launch it, and the clutch won't be getting as much wear and tear from the shorter pedal movement.
im just saying mine ihas almost twice as much longer motion. For example if i press the pedal half way in , thats enough to shift gears, and the if i go lower it doesnt really play any role in shifting at all.. its just free space. But when i do shift i press it al teh way to the floor then shift, and since the second half down doesnt play any role then i loose that much time before i shift. While my friends cars dont have that much pedal movement, theirs is adjusted (factory) to where the pedal has almost no free space almost, and they would have to press it all the way to the floor and then shift, but their pedal doesnt come out back nearly far out as mine...

so to sum it up, lets say i have 12 inches of motion on my pedal and they have 6 inches of motion on theirs about, just an example. So i have 6 inches of pointless space that would slow me down. and i was just wondering if i can reduce my pedals motion distance, adjust it so it will be lower to the floor or something. Because i can make it lower 6 inches and still have that top half of motion that ingages and not worry about not having enough motion... i hope this makes sence.. thanks
Old 10-03-2004, 04:15 PM   #5
Pavlo
AF Enthusiast

Your clutch might be worn out, That s why it traveled a lot in my first car (don't laugh it was a civic)
Old 10-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Amigo1107
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Amigo1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500916
Its been like that with my stock clutch , and i installed a stage 3 clutch and its the same, i thought it was maybe because my clutch was worn out, but i guess not.
i think he's replaced his clutch so it's not worn out.... if i'm reading corectly.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:03 PM   #7
vsiev
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to vsiev

don't you have a fsm? it tells you how to adjust it and stuff. very helpful to have.
Sorry no 89-90 yet....

Mods:
Tein Flex with EDFC
Hotshot Header
R32 GTR Seats
Advan SA3 16x7 16x8
Apexi Dual N1 Exhaust
Silvia Front End Conversion
Digital Climate Control
Nismo 2-Way LSD
Injen Intake w/ CAI

vsiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:18 PM   #8
SR20DETpower
Banned

trust me you won't gain anything by changing it, in fact you will only make it worse, enjoy the dead space at the end.. cause you can actually shift gears faster the way yours is setup now... your clutch engages quicker then theres... and the clutch only really needs to be engaged when u slam it down into gear, you can rip it out of gear with the clutch disengaged... so your setup actually provides the quickest way to shit
Old 10-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
GT500916
Banned

i looked under where the pedal is and stuff, and tried to figure out how if anyway this can actually be adjusted, and that bolt there that adjusts the pedal i wont touch because if i do then like one of thos posts said it will feel like my clutch is worn out. so i will leave that alone, the only way i can actually make something happen here is getting a different pedal thats bent differently , bent more toward the floor. or i can take mine off and cutom bent it haha i doubt there is any after market pedals to do this job, so i wont even look, and since there is no much i can do at this point ill live with it, i mean its not bad at all, i just thought maybe there is an easy pedal angle adjuster thingy haha... thanks guys..
Old 10-03-2004, 06:17 PM   #10
SR20DETpower
Banned

just live with it man, really a 240sx isn't that bad at all... its actually very good stock compared to A LOT of other cars... I'm speaking about the clutch, shifter, transmission, and the length of the clutch pedal movement.... I can shift those cars DAMN fast, and its not even that hard, your mind just has to be able to think of a few things at once...
Old 10-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #11
orestes
AF Fanatic

hydraulic clutch in 240's so check da flooooid
orestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #12
grncivicdhr
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to grncivicdhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500916
i looked under where the pedal is and stuff, and tried to figure out how if anyway this can actually be adjusted, and that bolt there that adjusts the pedal i wont touch because if i do then like one of thos posts said it will feel like my clutch is worn out. so i will leave that alone, the only way i can actually make something happen here is getting a different pedal thats bent differently , bent more toward the floor. or i can take mine off and cutom bent it haha i doubt there is any after market pedals to do this job, so i wont even look, and since there is no much i can do at this point ill live with it, i mean its not bad at all, i just thought maybe there is an easy pedal angle adjuster thingy haha... thanks guys..
I also said that you can play with the adjustment to get it to where you like. if it feel like its not engaging, just back it off. spend sometime playing with it, you get it to were you want it to be.
grncivicdhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #13
vsiev
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to vsiev

get the fsm...it will help...it explains a lot of questions you asked before and such. It will tell you how to adjust the clutch to the proper settings.
Sorry no 89-90 yet....

Mods:
Tein Flex with EDFC
Hotshot Header
R32 GTR Seats
Advan SA3 16x7 16x8
Apexi Dual N1 Exhaust
Silvia Front End Conversion
Digital Climate Control
Nismo 2-Way LSD
Injen Intake w/ CAI

vsiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:13 AM   #14
musicsurfman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to musicsurfman Send a message via MSN to musicsurfman

My Rb Car The Pedal Only Went 1/4 Way Down To Fully Disengage The Clutch.... I Loved This Becasue It Was Easy To Slip And Allowed For Quick Shifts.

EMAIL CONTACT:
PROJECTRB240SX@HOTMAIL.COM
musicsurfman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX