-
Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Politics, Investments & Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community
Politics, Investments & Current Affairs Yea... title kind of explains what this forum is about.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-20-2004, 10:01 PM
DGB454 DGB454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DGB454 Send a message via Yahoo to DGB454
Affirmative Action in sports

I guess I should start a new thread instead of messing up someone elses thread. I deleted my last post on the other AA thread.

I have wondered about this for a while. Why hasn't AA been completely enforced in professional sports? They have begun to try and enforce it with the hiring of coaches but why not with the players? Isn't the one of the basic ideas of AA that your hiring practices should reflect race make up of the area your buisness is located in? So if I lived in an area where there were 20% minorities then I should employ 20% minorities.
Why doesn't that happen on the field or arena? Take for example The Red Wings....is Detroit really 100% white? Another example is the Pistons...Is Detroit really 90% black? (I live in Michigan so that's why I am using Detroit teams.)
In sports is it just about getting the most qualified people reguardless of demographic make up in that particular area ? If so then why isn't that against what AA is all about? I know this may sound like I am going against what I have been saying on the other thread but I am just curious how others feel about this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2004, 10:32 PM
2strokebloke's Avatar
2strokebloke 2strokebloke is offline
In Stereo where available
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,481
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Affirmative Action in sports

I really don't care, get who does the job best, and wants to do the job the best, don't get people just because the color of their skin.
__________________

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2004, 07:23 AM
DGB454 DGB454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DGB454 Send a message via Yahoo to DGB454
Re: Affirmative Action in sports

I guess what I am getting at is that isn't this a place where non minorities could push the affirmative envelope to benefit them? For example; If a non minority basketball player was trying out for the Pistons and was a very good player but not quite as good as a minority player who was going out for the Pistons, couldn't that non minority player use some of the rules of affirmative action to better his chances to get on the team? Couldn't the opponents of AA point out that there is a problem in the hiring practices of these teams because they don't reflect the racial make up of the surrounding area that the team is located?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2004, 09:31 AM
YogsVR4's Avatar
YogsVR4 YogsVR4 is offline
Funding the welfare state
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 17,795
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
The comparison with sport teams is quite old and the analogy falls apart because now you’re talking about a difference between private and public ownership. Affirmative Action is a grand mistake. Seeking to correct past transgressions at the expense of someone who hasn’t done anything wrong is not defensible. The people who support it talk in grand terms, but when the rubber meets the pavement, it’s the individual person who gets screwed over by something they had no control over.













__________________
Resistance Is Futile (If < 1ohm)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:46 PM
DGB454 DGB454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DGB454 Send a message via Yahoo to DGB454
Re: Affirmative Action in sports

I don't see how private ownership applies. The reason I say this is because of the push to get more minority coaches in the leagues. If it's OK to push that then why isn't it OK to push a more representative population of players also?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2004, 02:38 PM
YogsVR4's Avatar
YogsVR4 YogsVR4 is offline
Funding the welfare state
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 17,795
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
The league is doing that to itself which means it doesn't fall under 'Afermative Action' which is goverment sponsered. Though it does resembles it, it isn't the same thing. And in any case, its a wrong headed policy.













__________________
Resistance Is Futile (If < 1ohm)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2004, 06:28 PM
jon@af's Avatar
jon@af jon@af is offline
The Media Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,973
Thanks: 62
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Send a message via AIM to jon@af
Re: Affirmative Action in sports

You can't solve racism with another form of racism.
__________________




AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz


Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2004, 07:40 PM
DGB454 DGB454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DGB454 Send a message via Yahoo to DGB454
Re: Affirmative Action in sports

Actually I was talking about resolving AA not racism.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2004, 08:06 PM
jon@af's Avatar
jon@af jon@af is offline
The Media Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,973
Thanks: 62
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Send a message via AIM to jon@af
Re: Re: Affirmative Action in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB454
Actually I was talking about resolving AA not racism.
I wasn't directing that towards you, sorry if I gave the impression. I was meaning that about Affirmative action in general, though now that I think about it, it would be more discrimination than racism though it is involving both.
__________________




AF User Guidelines <----Click and read if you don't know these.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

A Blog By Swigz


Cotidie damnatur qui semper timet; Aquila non captat muscas.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-2004, 03:24 AM
taranaki's Avatar
taranaki taranaki is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,048
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Affirmative Action in sports

Google 'Maori all blacks' sometime. A national team consisting entirely of Maori descendants.Pakeha [that's us white folk]not welcome to join in.

The rest of us rabble have to aspire to play for the All Blacks...odd name for a rugby team of multicultural ethnicity,but capable of thrashing the 'Maori All Blacks' on any given ground,on any given day.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-23-2004, 10:09 AM
YogsVR4's Avatar
YogsVR4 YogsVR4 is offline
Funding the welfare state
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 17,795
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Re: Re: Affirmative Action in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki
Google 'Maori all blacks' sometime. A national team consisting entirely of Maori descendants.Pakeha [that's us white folk]not welcome to join in.

The rest of us rabble have to aspire to play for the All Blacks...odd name for a rugby team of multicultural ethnicity,but capable of thrashing the 'Maori All Blacks' on any given ground,on any given day.
I googled - now I'm trying to understand what those articles are saying. The words are in english, but its not making a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
"I don't know if Christian Cullen can recite his whakapapa but it doesn't seem to matter to anybody that he seems to be giving new meaning to the expression born-again Maori," rugby philosopher and former All Black Chris Laidlaw wrote in the Dominion Post this week.


Time to do some more reading.













__________________
Resistance Is Futile (If < 1ohm)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-23-2004, 07:12 PM
TexasF355F1's Avatar
TexasF355F1 TexasF355F1 is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,776
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
DGB, teams recruit players from all over the US. A team is hardly constructed with only hometown players. The Houston Astros farm club is in Roundrock, Texas(about to be moved though). And they have various other minor league parks around. As for the Red Wings being all white. Hockey is predominately white, b/c there is not a big following of the sport by other races.

Last summer I remember hearing that the NAACP wanted to see more African Americans in baseball. If they're not up to par their not coming up. MLB in my opinion is the most colorful sport there is(if you want to classify things by color). As has already been said, Affirmative Action is a waste.
__________________
*Under Construction - New sig to debut*
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-2004, 01:49 AM
NSX-R-SSJ20K's Avatar
NSX-R-SSJ20K NSX-R-SSJ20K is offline
AF Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,440
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to NSX-R-SSJ20K
Re: Re: Affirmative Action in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
I really don't care, get who does the job best, and wants to do the job the best, don't get people just because the color of their skin.
I agree 100.00%
__________________
Qualified Automotive Engineer
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-2004, 05:03 AM
DGB454 DGB454 is offline
AF Enthusiast
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,631
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to DGB454 Send a message via Yahoo to DGB454
Re: Affirmative Action in sports

Ok guys...
I wasn't starting this thread to support AA but to point out a way to fix it. I was just suggesting a way to use AA against itself to make those changes.

Anyway thanks for the response. I actually wasn't expecting more than 1 or 2.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-25-2004, 03:45 PM
justacruiser's Avatar
justacruiser justacruiser is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 663
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Affirmative Action in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB454
Actually I was talking about resolving AA not racism.
What's the difference?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=racism

rac·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rszm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Picking one person over another just because of their skin color is racism, there is no difference between racism and AA, they're one and the same.
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Politics, Investments & Current Affairs


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts