Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
jamsheehan
AF Newbie

2005 Chrysler Town and Country Water Pump Replacement help.

The water pump does not have enough clearance to remove it. I followed the repair manuals instructions to the letter. The pump fins will not clear the housing. I twisted turned and tried everything. The pump came out after a couple of the plastic fins broke. The problem now is installing the new pump. There is just not enough clearance to get it back into the housing. Does anyone have expierence with this. Please help.
jamsheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Bear
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 Chrysler Town and Country Water Pump Replacement help.

If no one jumps in, go to the AUTOZONE website, register and then go to the vehicle troubleshooting section (they do not have 2005 data but I beleive a 2002 is the same)and click on engine cooling and then water pump and there are the procedures for your car.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
jamsheehan
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response. I did look at the AUTOZONE repair guide. They say nothing about the clearance issues. I followed the repair guide to the letter. I saw a similar post on a 2003. The guy ended up loosing motor mount and jacking up the engine etc. Looked to be very painful. There has to be an easier way.
jamsheehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
Bear
AF Enthusiast

I found a video at helpfulvideo.com on replacing the pump on a 2002 Caravan, it does suggest loosening the engine mount bolts, you might want to take a look. I actually googled replacing water pump on a 2002 dodge caravan and the video was one thing that came up.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsheehan View Post
Thanks for the response. I did look at the AUTOZONE repair guide. They say nothing about the clearance issues. I followed the repair guide to the letter. I saw a similar post on a 2003. The guy ended up loosing motor mount and jacking up the engine etc. Looked to be very painful. There has to be an easier way.
There is not! Jack up the vehicle - and place a jackstand under the frame near the right wheel - then use your floor jack to support the engine--loosen the front motor mounts and use the jack to drop the engine just enough to complete installation of the pump. Then ease it back up and re-secure your motor mounts.
94&92Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

sometimes you may able to pry the front motor mount backwards and the pump comes out. if not you have to loosen the front mount a little....
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
kirlax09
AF Newbie

Thanks for this post. I could not get the water pump out either until supporting the engine, loosening the front mount and then lowering a little.
kirlax09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
kris g
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 2005 Chrysler Town and Country Water Pump Replacement help (fix).

There was definitly not enough clearance on my 2005 T&C to remove or replace water pump. I broke fins removing and installing first part. Rather than loosening and adjusting motor mounts as suggested (big job) I used my 4 1/2" grinder w/diamond blade to take about 3/32" material off pully shaft. Part fit right in. Probably a good idea to repl thermostat while your at it. You will need special tool for belt tensioner. Oreilly auto lends free. This video is very helpful but does not address clearance issues (if you have them) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iuOD62LkFE .I have a few choice words for Chystler design engineers, but I wont get into that here.
kris g is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager