Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

Junk Yard Projects

Hi, these are my next proyects, 5 rebuilds.
These are motorcycles I built many years ago, I built them when I was 18, now Im 31, I have moved house several times, so they are in really bad shape, parts are missing, others are broken, so one day I took them out of the box, and tried to restore them, but they are going to look bad any way, so I decides to make "extreme build over", Im going to customize them big time, lot of scratchbuilding im going to do, here are the participants:
Proyect number one: TAMIYA Yamaha 500 Grand Prix-Kenny Roberts

My model was very good assembled, in a little diorama, but with year it began to fall apart:

Tires began to crack:

When it was really broken, I used some big parts for other bike:

These are the remainings:

Do you know Roland Sands KRV5? It uses a Moto GP engine, and KR stands for Kenny Roberts, so I decided to turn the 500 gp into a "Roland Sands" style bike, using the 500cc engine and tires, all rest has to be scratchbuild so is going to be hard:

I was drawing on a image of the 500 gp to see if engine matches geometry:

Then my final model is more or less going to look like this:

Proyect number two: IMAI Harley Davidson Softail Custom

I tried to do a replica of Renegade's bike, the true is that this bike was in regular condition, I disassemble the bike to repain it:

But I really like Jesse Rooke's "Darla" bike: so Im going to make it, or something close to it:

I chequed geometry again by drawing on a Softail bike picture:

Of course a lot of scratchbuilding is needed, I cant wait to began making the frames.

Proyect number three: TAMIYA Yamaha FZR750 OW01

This bike was in good condition, but one bad day, I decid to repaint it, I tried to make the Norick Abe pattern but instead of white I used silver, an the result was baaaad, I dont know why I did such a dirty work, any way the only good thing I did is to repaint frame in black and the rims too:

Im going to use a Ducati 999 F05 (Ducati Imola Concept remain) rear swing arm, rear and front fender:

And I want to modernize it, I want to take some features from a 2009 Yamaha R1 sketch:

But I dont know if use a modern or a retro paint scheme:

Or blue, I dont have blue bikes:

Proyect four: TAMIYA Honda CR250R

I think this was my first modification, I was big fan of Jeff Stanton, So I tried to make a replica of his bike, making the number plates more square, I added mud and applied barnish so the mud stayed in place:

Actual condition of the bike:

I decided to restore this bike, I like the way it is, and to keep it as my first customized bike.

Proyect five: IMAI Harley Davidson Fat Bob

Well, this was my second modification, I repaint it and add an air filter, higher bars made whit a paper clip, and custom paint:

Actual condition of the bike:

Here is the dilema: I want to use the engine to make an ultra minimalistic bike, but I have two choices, one is a modern bike I found in internet:

Or a retro bike designed by a Japanesse gay, I cant remember the name, I think is Hagakure Morimoto or something like that, the bike is amazing, really simple, big engine, 1 liter fuel tank...If some one has images of this bike I really thank the favor of sendind them to me.

Im going to do these rebuils at the same time, cause I want to finish them quickly so I can continue my habitual modifications, so my first task is to clean the parts and get styrene tubing for the frames.
So Ill get to work, cause one thing is to say it and other is doing it!

Last edited by blazee; 02-12-2009 at 05:03 PM.
ALEX GAROLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Ferrari TR
Not A Hoarder!

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari TR
Re: Junk Yard Proyects

Nice choice of projects...
i'm looking fwd to seeing your progress.
Ferrari TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

This weekend I had the chance to make some work on the yamaha fzr, Y sanded and cleaned the fairings, and I began to modify the suspensions:

I have ready the parts to use un the suspension changes:

The rear suspension comes from a WSBK Ducati, so it has the rear arm designed to allow the exhaust tubing, this helps me because I want the exhaust pipes in the tail, like the R1, and they have to go next to the swing arm to the tail.

Well, first thing is to measure both parts, and do the cutting, next, to glue the parts, cut some interior bumps of the die cast suspension to allow the tire, disk and chain sprocket, and, to try how they fit:

I got some styrene tube for the "inverted" fronk fork, the pieces were glued really hard, so I had to cut them and replaced them with the styren:

And the result looks good:

Im getting all styrene tubing I can, over here is hard to find it, I need it soon to make the other bikes frames.

Last edited by blazee; 02-12-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

Here is some progress, Because of the hollydays I didnt have time to build anything, but Im abut to fiish this bike to make the other bike frames.
This is the finished frame:

I changue the rigid plastic hoses for simulated broided lines, I know is not really detailed, but is enough have saved the bike from being junk.

This is how Im going to make the cuts to the fairing:

Im going to use a piece for the exhaust that I used in the Ducati Imola, I have a section left from it, I made a cut in the thank to add a pad:

The cutting:

Im going to add 3mm styrene section, and shape it, making it thinner at the end of the fairing:

And there it is, after a lot of sanding the fairings are ready to paint:

Now is time to paint it, add mirrors, tail light, turn signals, graphicas, etc.

Last edited by blazee; 02-12-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
stainlesssteel
AF Regular

Re: Junk Yard Projects

AWESOME restorations! Excellent progress so far mate, you work very fast! Keep it up
stainlesssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

I began the paint scheme, based on the r1 sketch, and I added other changes, but Im going to add some special graphics, I want a special edition, based in a great american grand prix racer, you will see!
I know the bike is not highly detailed, but for a bike that was almost junk, Its really well.

Y finally began the other bikes frames, I was in a 7 eleven and I saw the coffe straws, there was like 10 of those, so I got them, they have the right diameter, they are really hard to make a frame, It was really hard to find the rigth materials because here scale model culture is not very popular.

Im using a reference picture to bend the tubes (straws), and the original frame to determonate width

The Roland Sands original bike doesnt have front brakes, but Im thinking adding them to mine, cause I like this bike to be a open track day one, any way It has slicks.

Making the frame is not so hard, some bends, some glue, some cuts, some putty, the difficult par is to aligne the frame, It means the right distance from the rear axle to the gearbox, so the chain fits correctly, the engine attachments are goning to be the same, Im going to cut them off from the original frame, but I have to calculate the right angle of the engine so the exhaust tubes fit the frame correctly, this is a 2 stroke bike so I have to use the same exhaust tips.

Im exited this thing is beggining to take shape, I cant wait to see the frame painted in yellow.

Im working right know on the "Darla" s frame, I hope tomorrow Ill post some pictures, the frame is longer, are simpler.
Hey I noticed the diameter difference betwen the FZR and Yamaha 500 tires, the grand prix bike tires are much more wide, almost 1/4", is that alike in the reality or is a scale mistake?, two bikes are Tamiya.

Last edited by blazee; 02-12-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

Hey what happened? why my pictures disapeared????
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

Maybe the site you were using to host the pictures is causing the problem. Maybe you accidently changed your photo site settings.

TW
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Looking at the image codes (right click and choose properties) there seem to be some issues there. Make adjustments to the IMG tags and you'll probably be fine.
/joel
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

This happened during this site upgrading, I post a few pictures and there was a warning, for not having thread drafts becuse of the upgrade It can be lost, so I save changes and logged out the site, next mornng (monday) all my pictures looked like that, but only 2008 threads, 2007 threads are ok and the pictures are in the same host webpage, Imageshack.
Please recomend me other host page.

I tried to post again, like this:
I upload the picture in the site
I copy the url
I erase the "th" fron "thumbnail"
I insert the url in the forum page an save
At the end of the image code reads: (IMG)(URL)

But this time It didnt work.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #11
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

Here is some advance, I made the exhaust tubes with electronics welding material, I dont know the name in english, Its easy to bend and give shape, you know I have to avoid rear fender, foot peg, frame, etc.

I finished the paint, the true is that is not really detailed, I wanted to finish it fast so I can continue the other sratchbuilds, this was very damaged so has some issues, the windshield is cracked, some parts have a lot of glue so I couldnt separate them, but well, looks so good so far, I hand made the lettering, maybe some day I will make stickers for this bike.
I still need to add mirrors, stand leg, rear light and turn lights.

Last edited by ALEX GAROLI; 02-18-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

electronics welding material = solder wire in English.

I like the look of that bike! Is that a Yamaha? What kit did that start as?

Keep up the good work,
Mark
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
ALEX GAROLI
AF Regular

Yes Its a YAMAHA FZR750R (OW01), from TAMIYA:

Now I dont know if I should call it "FZ-R1", or "OW-R1", Its suposed to be a 1000cc version.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Hi Alex,

really impressive what you do here.

Just a hint: Why donīt you make a thread for each project? ;-))

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes