Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
TOM2RN
AF Newbie

OBD II code P0450

My check engine light came on and I stopped by the local Advance Auto Parts store. They were kind enough to check it with the scanner. The only code I get is the P0450. So, I grabbed the Haynes manual and went to work. I checked the voltage from the harness back to the PCM and it is O.K. (4.94 volts within the 4.5 to 5.5 range). It then says apply a vacuum at two different settings and read the voltage with back probes. Is this really necessary or can I assume the sensor is bad just by the code? I seem to remember hearing a light click when I first disconnected the harness as if the internal mechanism had become stuck (or did I imagine this?). Is it possible the EVAP canister is bad and causing this part to malfunction? I don't want to replace a good sensor if the canister is at fault and I certainly don't want to replace the expensive canister if I don't have to.

Thanks,

TOM2RN
TOM2RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
TOM2RN
AF Newbie

Re: OBD II code P0450

I have an update to my previous post. I obtained my scanner and I have 3 codes: P0450, a pending P0441, and a pending P0450. I have also read that maybe the VSV needs replacing. Is it the canister, the VSV, or the vapor pressure sensor?

Thanks,

TOM2RN
Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
somick
AF Enthusiast

What car are you driving? How many miles?

There is a link at the top of the forum for the factory repair manual. Download it. You will find a detail description of all the procedures and component locations. Start from here.

Good luck,

Sam

somick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
TOM2RN
AF Newbie

Sorry, I have a '97 Camry with the 4 cylinder engine and auto transmission. It has 139,000 miles on it.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
TOM2RN
AF Newbie

O.K.,

I haven't had any responses to my question other than providing more info. I figure I would post what I have done so far just in case someone is watching. So......I replaced the entire charcoal canister (which had one of the VSV's attached to it), the EVAP VSV, all the vacuum lines, and the little cylindrical filter (?) attached to one of the canister lines (hey for 8 bucks why not). I continued to receive the trouble codes. I tested the vapor sensor with my digital meter and was not receiving the proper voltage with a vacuum applied. Caveat: The handheld vacuum I borrowed did not have the proper increments I needed and I had to approximate. The readings were something like 0.4 & 0.6 in. Hg. to be tested and this gauge was in increments much larger (again, I approximated). I would have to look around for one with the smaller increments, but it is probably shop grade and more $$ than I'm willing to spend on this one project. Back probing the connector for the vapor sensor can be a pain. I used a paper clip and carefully slipped in in the soft rubber cap on the back of the connector. I also tested it at the ECM using the paperclip. I was extra careful to make sure I didn't short anything out (don't won't to pay for the ECM). I have now ordered the vapor sensor from NAPA and it should be here tomorrow. If all goes well, I will install that and see if my codes reappear. The TSB I had said replace the canister, the VSV for the canister, and the VSV for the EVAP. Unfortunately, I think the vapor sensor also went. Hey, at 145,000 miles I guess it was time Total cost so far: Canister was $226.00 plus shipping from toyotapartsales.com (normally $320.00 at the dealer), $67.00 for the EVAP VSV I got at my local dealer, $174.00 for the vapor sensor from my local NAPA store, $8.00 for the cylinder filter, and $6.00 for the lines.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
skondamuri
AF Newbie

Hi TOM2RN

Not sure if you are still sseeing this but i found it here that your issue will be fixed by Toyota for free.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...aa/toyota.html

The above is the extended warranty for 1997 Toyota Camry with less than 150,000 miles and less than 14 years of age of the car.

Hope this helps you.
skondamuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #7
skondamuri
AF Newbie

Hi TOM2RN

Not sure if you are still seeing this but i found it here that your issue will be fixed by Toyota for free.

http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resour...aa/toyota.html

The above is the extended warranty for 1997 Toyota Camry with less than 150,000 miles or less than 14 years of age of the car whichever is earlier.

Hope this helps you.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #8
skondamuri
AF Newbie

Hi TOM2RN

I gave my car to the dealer today and it is being fixed and he also told me that it is being covered by the warrnty mentioned above.

By the way i had four codes stored in the memory and when i got it checked by Advance autoparts all four of them are P0450 before i gave the car to the dealer for repair.

Hope this helps you.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista