Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
jackie-oh
AF Newbie

Need Help!

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram Van 1500. It has developed an intake gasket leak, but would still start. A month after that, it would click... but wouldn't start. A few weeks after that, I tried to jump it again... and nothing happened. Not even a click. Nothing works on it now, not even the automatic locks. I'm not sure if it's a new battery I need, or if there is a deeper issue. I don't have money for a mechanic, so I'm on the do-it-yourself route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
jackie-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need Help!

First thing to try is to clean and then tighten your battery connections.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
bignoisey
AF Regular

Re: Need Help!

If the intake manifold gasket is leaking its possible that you might have gotten some coolant in a cylinder. The intake gasket also seals coolant passages between heads and manifold. That could cause the engine not to turn over. I hope that's not the problem here, but check your coolant level too, if low at all, pull all the spark plugs and see if it will turn over (may need to use jumper cables if the battery has gone dead). Cranking it like this will remove most of any coolant from the cylinders that it's in. Get as much out as you can in this manner. Then with the plugs still out, shoot a little engine oil into the affected cylinders - enough to coat everthing to resist any rust buildup, and crank it over a little more. Then also check your engine oil level. Sometimes a leak like that will send coolant into the oil pan, if so change the oil and filter. Leaving it for any time could be bad news - corroded cylinder wall and engine frozen up. Repair the bad gasket before any driving.
bignoisey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van