Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
08malibu
AF Newbie

08 malibu

Hi guys just joined anybody have interest in the new malibu?
08malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Johnny R
AF Regular

Re: 08 malibu

Yes I'm interested in it. But I've learned over the years that it's in my best interest, regardless how appealing the advertising, to wait for at least one year after the new intro. It's nice to be first, of course, and have envious neighbours for a little while. But it's nicer to have some bugs worked out.
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
slls
AF Regular

NO, not at them prices, the older model was $4000 cheaper. For what you get for $4K, it's not worth it.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
wpbharry
AF Regular

I've test-driven it. It's a step up from my '04 and the press is giving it rave reviews, but I agree. Wait until the '09s, at a minimum. Better yet, the '10s.

The Aura, its sister, only has average reliability - the 4 cylinder is a bit above average, the V-6 a bit below.

It took about 6 months for the infamous power steering failures to start hitting the press on the '04s. Not suggesting that anything like that will happen to the '08, but better safe than sorry.

Resale value is another area of concern. Right now, GM has residuals artifically pumped up, but in a year, we'll know the REAL resale value.
wpbharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
08malibu
AF Newbie

Well guys and gals i did buy one guess i'm the ginni pig.
I bought the red tint with titanium int .So far so good handles great quiet and smooth. Also not my first new car. just traded in an 05 gto for it the gas milage was killing me for a daily commute car. Althought the 6 cyl malibu is not great on gas it's not that bad either. And with 400 pony's under the Gto's hood i was always stepping on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny R
Yes I'm interested in it. But I've learned over the years that it's in my best interest, regardless how appealing the advertising, to wait for at least one year after the new intro. It's nice to be first, of course, and have envious neighbours for a little while. But it's nicer to have some bugs worked out.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
dwalmop
AF Enthusiast

That had to have been a painful trade!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
slls
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08malibu
Well guys and gals i did buy one guess i'm the ginni pig.
I bought the red tint with titanium int .So far so good handles great quiet and smooth. Also not my first new car. just traded in an 05 gto for it the gas milage was killing me for a daily commute car. Althought the 6 cyl malibu is not great on gas it's not that bad either. And with 400 pony's under the Gto's hood i was always stepping on it.
None for sale in my area, at least not advertised. Curious what you gave for it. I just can't wait to see the advertised price and when the discounts start.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
08malibu
AF Newbie

Not at all bought the gto for 20k traded it in for $19600.
Not bad at all car wasn't for everyday driving for me anyway.
needed family car i also have a 71 olds 442 for the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalmop
That had to have been a painful trade!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
08malibu
AF Newbie

not sure what you mean? they were asking $25100 STICKER AND THEY GAVE IT TO ME FOR $ 24300 $800 off sticker i thought it was a pretty good deal other dealers were not coming off sticker and they were nasty about it.
plus this dealer gave me $1100. more on my trade than everybody else.
by the way "love the car blows away the gto in comfort and toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls
None for sale in my area, at least not advertised. Curious what you gave for it. I just can't wait to see the advertised price and when the discounts start.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
wpbharry
AF Regular

Patience is a virtue. In my case, by waiting until June '04 to get my Maxx, GM had decided to offer a $4,000 rebate (not likely to ever happen again), the dealer gave me a $1600 discount and they also gave me $500 more on my trade-in.

My Chevy dealer currently has a $1500 "market adjustment" added to the sticker on the 4 '08s they have in stock.

It's Fall 2003 all over again. Same $1500 add-on back then. Even the advertising and the enthusiast reviews take me back 4 years. The '04 was supposed to be the Accord and Camry killer. The '08 has the looks, but will it have the reliability? I'm not taking any more Chevy chances.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
slls
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08malibu
not sure what you mean? they were asking $25100 STICKER AND THEY GAVE IT TO ME FOR $ 24300 $800 off sticker i thought it was a pretty good deal other dealers were not coming off sticker and they were nasty about it.
plus this dealer gave me $1100. more on my trade than everybody else.
by the way "love the car blows away the gto in comfort and toys.
First ad in my area today. 2008 Malibu 2400 full power, A/C CD player w/MP3, keyless entry and C/C. Selling for &19,421, $819 off sticker. Next to it a 2008 Impala 3500 V6 loaded for $18,942.
If GM can keep selling them at that price they will make money. Time will tell if the consumer will hold out for larger discounts.
I am glad I bought my 04 3.5 V6 with the $4000 discount,. It has been a great car, not as quiet as the 08, I like it though.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
08malibu
AF Newbie

thats what i got 800 off sticker but my car started at $25100 not 20k and change different car v-6 with 252hp lt2 that waas probably a base model

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls
First ad in my area today. 2008 Malibu 2400 full power, A/C CD player w/MP3, keyless entry and C/C. Selling for &19,421, $819 off sticker. Next to it a 2008 Impala 3500 V6 loaded for $18,942.
If GM can keep selling them at that price they will make money. Time will tell if the consumer will hold out for larger discounts.
I am glad I bought my 04 3.5 V6 with the $4000 discount,. It has been a great car, not as quiet as the 08, I like it though.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #13
wpbharry
AF Regular

A salesman friend (we really are buddies) told me at the dealership yesterday that the 3.6L in the '08 Malibu already has a major problem. It's prone to unannounced stalling, while in gear. They all experienced this at the local Ride&Drive comparison. A USA newpaper reporter experienced it too, while driving the car on a test drive for a review. And bashed the car as a result. Reviews are suddenly turning "not stellar". But it's still flying out of showrooms. Purchasers are mostly Chevy (or GM) loyalists. My dealership has seen no conquest sales so far.

The LTZ on the showroom floor has a misaligned dash (similar to the slightly misaligned one in my '04 Maxx). Guess the Fairfax plant is feeling the pressure to get more on the lots, super fast.

Folks over in the Edmund's forums have also recently become critical. Right now, they're bashing it because it has less interior volume than a Hyundai Elantra.

So much for the short-lived initial love affair.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:50 AM   #14
08malibu
AF Newbie

hog wash I havn't seen any articles such as that nice way to spread a bad rumor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbharry
A salesman friend (we really are buddies) told me at the dealership yesterday that the 3.6L in the '08 Malibu already has a major problem. It's prone to unannounced stalling, while in gear. They all experienced this at the local Ride&Drive comparison. A USA newpaper reporter experienced it too, while driving the car on a test drive for a review. And bashed the car as a result. Reviews are suddenly turning "not stellar". But it's still flying out of showrooms. Purchasers are mostly Chevy (or GM) loyalists. My dealership has seen no conquest sales so far.

The LTZ on the showroom floor has a misaligned dash (similar to the slightly misaligned one in my '04 Maxx). Guess the Fairfax plant is feeling the pressure to get more on the lots, super fast.

Folks over in the Edmund's forums have also recently become critical. Right now, they're bashing it because it has less interior volume than a Hyundai Elantra.

So much for the short-lived initial love affair.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
PTG1212
AF Regular

I just read all the reviews on 08 Malibu on Edmunds. All owners rave about the car. There isn't one bad review.
PTG1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu