Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 12:21 AM   #1
planet_keeper
AF Regular

so im thinking about dataloggers

i've been thinking about getting a datalogger recently and i was wondering what you guys think. i was looking at the scanmaster3 and lm-1 and the lm-1 seems to be the prefered choice of most people i've been talking to. basically im looking to get more efficiency out of my existing setup by also getting an safcII because it seems like im basically out of ways to improve my power economically. thoughts?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Linebckr49
Re: so im thinking about dataloggers

the LM-1 is a wideband O2 kit. i'm not that familiar with the scanmaster 3. i assume it will allow you to monitor the wideband O2 voltage?

since you have a 1st gen, you can get a palm pilot off ebay ($20), load some free datalogging software (MMCD v1.8g, free & open-sourced software, but it is VERY good software), and you'll need a datalogging cable ($25 ebay) to connect to the OBDI diagnostic port. however, just like the scanmaster 3, i ASSUME it will allow you to monitor with wideband O2 voltage. i'm not sure, perhaps Talskinyguy or Hotshot will chime in.

the SAFCs by Apexi are very good for tuning and improving power and fuel economy. and going with a WB O2 is the proper way to tune. i believe you just have stock turbos and injectors, but its a good idea to learn how to tune before you upgrade.
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
coming soon: adj. cam gears | bi-xenon HID retrofit
Linebckr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Datalogging will only monitor narrowband...he would need a wideband to get wideband readings However, datalogging allows him to monitor knock, which is better than wideband readings IMO. Because it doesn't really matter what your A/F readings exactly are if you aren't getting any knock. And the narrowband is enough to determine if you are running rich or lean when troubleshoot random problems.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

reason i was hoping a datalogger would be able to read a wideband signal (still unsure yet) is that it would be nice to watch the wideband signal and all other signals being logged at the same place. also, it would be even more helpful later on when analyzing the logs if the wideband data was on the same graph.
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
Old 01-31-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

I agree having everything all on the same log would be nice; and I'm not 100% sure that the datalogger can't do wideband. I'm just unsure of how it would. I mean, it's logging from the ecu. When you add a wideband, to my knowledge it's completely independent of the ecu.
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

true, it is independent of the ecu, but how will the ecu know how to adjust the fuel if the wideband is independent? is it not possible to have a wideband without an AFC? and if the wideband is independent, wouldn't the ecu throw a check engine light?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #7
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

I was speaking strictly of the sensor and gauge. A WB controller would have to splice into the ecu.
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth