Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
rvg0207
AF Newbie

Metal shavings in engine

I have some friends who have told me that an ex enemy is planning or at least hopes to sabatoge my car by putting metal shavings in the engine. All of this is just rumor so I can not do much as far as preventive legal action. I am keeping my car locked at all times to prevent this from happening. I have a few questions just in case this guy suceeds in his plan. What would metal shaving do if inserted into my engine block? How long would it take me to see the results or possible damage caused? How could I prove that the metal shavings are foreign and not from my engine parts? WOuld a mechanic be able to tell that the engine had been sabatoged?

I ask these questions so that I am prepared if this truly happens. I would not want a dead engine and no recourse against the perp. Can anyone answer some or all of these questions?

P.S. I have also been told he may loosen the oil plug if he cannot get to the engine. IF he would do that would it fall out? And if so what damaged could be done? And how could I prove it was sabatoge?
rvg0207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
my99cavy
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to my99cavy Send a message via MSN to my99cavy
Re: Metal shavings in engine

Really the only way to get anything into your engine without removing valve covers etc etc would be to poor it in through the gas tank so unless he plans on sitting there with the hood popped and taking engine parts off hes going to go for the tank. basically any metal that gets run through the engine could do alot of damage to the pistons, crank, pretty much all of the guts.

You know who it is that would do it so if anything happens to your car then go find the prick and kick the shit out of him and then call the authorities.
my99cavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
rvg0207
AF Newbie

SO, I should not be concerned that he might put it in where the Oil is put in? WHew! That makes me feel better. What about the Oil Plug? If he loosens it and I don't catch it will it fall out? And if so how could it damage the engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by my99cavy
Really the only way to get anything into your engine without removing valve covers etc etc would be to poor it in through the gas tank so unless he plans on sitting there with the hood popped and taking engine parts off hes going to go for the tank. basically any metal that gets run through the engine could do alot of damage to the pistons, crank, pretty much all of the guts.

You know who it is that would do it so if anything happens to your car then go find the prick and kick the shit out of him and then call the authorities.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
my99cavy
AF Fanatic

You know I totally forgot about the where you fill the oil yeah he could stick some stuff in there and cause some damage sorry I forgot to mention that. And if he loosens the plug and you loose oil your going to run you engine dry resulting in major damage. If your truly think he will do this then like you said keep your car locked up and just keep an eye out. and like I said if anything does happen you know who would have done it so they would be pretty dumb to follow through with it.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
rvg0207
AF Newbie

I do not mean to sound paronoid but you see, I have a 2004 Camry V6 and I love it. If the engine gets screwed I will be very angry. What if this guy put dirt or sand in the engine through the Oil fill? I have even heard he may crawl under, remove the oil filter, empty it and fill it with dirt/sand/metal shavings etc.. What would these types of materials do to my engine? Could your mechanic tell if dirt/sand/metal shavings had been put in the engine? I am not a car expert but it would be nice to know what to look for so I could catch it early and also nab the guy if he really pulls it off
Old 10-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
my99cavy
AF Fanatic

Oh yeah dont get me wrong man I would be VERY pissed if someone messed with my cars also. Sand/dirt will also cause alot of damage and if it does get in the engine a mechanic will definatley be able to tell once he takes off the oil pan. If anything gets like dirt or sand gets in the engine you will be able to tell, the car will start running very poorly which will be the first sign that something is wrong. And if he goes as far as to crawl under the car and unscrew the oil filter and mess with it then he is either really pissed or really screwed in the head. honestly all he really has to do is poor shit into your gas tank so that it will get sucked into your engine so I dont now why he would want to mess with the stuff under the hood, although they may affect the car alot quicker.

If I may ask, what the hell did you do that would make this asshole want to do something like this to your car?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
Steel
AF Fanatic

Or sugar. We had one guy come in with his IS300 that someone put aobut half a pound of sugar into the motor and screwed it up bad.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
my99cavy
AF Fanatic

Yeah pretty much anything that doesnt belong in an engine will screw it up.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Just stretch a used condom over the oil filter, plug, and cap.... if they want it fuck with you bad enough to remove them, then you probably deserve whats coming.

TheSilentChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
my99cavy
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentChamber
Just stretch a used condom over the oil filter, plug, and cap....
Now thats just wrong lol
Old 10-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #11
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

this may sound flippant, but metal shavings in the valve cover (where most oil fills are) won't do a dang thing to a motor. It will unexcitingly go to the pickup screen for the oil pump, and be stopped. If it made it past that, it would be collected in the oil filter and do nothing.

You'd have to add so much shavings that it blocked the pickup or oil filter before it really was a problem.

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #12
534BC
AF Enthusiast

The same is probably true for the gas tank.

How about a sticker stating that "you are being filmed"
534BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #13
GreyGoose006
AF Enthusiast

what did you do to the guy?
GreyGoose006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
my99cavy
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGoose006
what did you do to the guy?
I already asked him and he didnt answer me yet so who knows.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
rvg0207
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by my99cavy
I already asked him and he didnt answer me yet so who knows.
I did not do anything. He blames me because no one likes him. I tried to be his friend and help him and found out he was trouble so I started avoiding him. He is screwed in the head. He thinks that I am the reason no one I mean no one can stand him. But it is not me, it is him. He is the most annoying person your will ever meet and after a while people just get a bad taste for him and start avoiding him. I think he is jealous as well as I make a whole lot more money than he does. Who knows, people who are screwed in the head do not need a reason. I do not know if he will do anything, he may just be yaking but if he does I am going kick the living crap out of him. Thanks for the responses. I just want to know how to recover the car damage if he succeeds so I can focus on kicking the **** out of him

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical