Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Bogeydog
AF Newbie

99 Yukon Starting problem. Fuel pump?

I have a 99 Yukon 5.7 liter, 44,000 miles. Regular maintainence every 3000 miles. I don't believe fuel filter has ever been changed. Twice in the last three weeks, car wouldn't start. It turns over, and sounds as if it will start, but acts like no fuel coming in. Both times car was resting for 4-8 hours. Also car fired up and ran fine, after waiting 2 hours, and starting up again. I am thinking fuel pump or fuel pump relay. Can the fuel pump cause an intermitant problem as this, and then run fine afterwards? I am having my mechanic test the fuel pressure, but since it is running fine now, I suspect we may be throwing darts. If anyone has input or ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Bogeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
2000CAYukon
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Yukon Starting problem. Fuel pump?

The Vortec should have 60+ PSI at startup. It will have trouble starting if the pressure is below 50.

The Fuel Pressure Regulator is also a common issue on your engine. It leaks fuel after shutting the engine off and can make restarting hard depending on how long it sits (and how much fuel it leaks).

When you have the fuel pressure tested, have them also test the regulator. To do this, they will watch the pressure after the engine is shut off. If the pressure drops too much it can indicate that the regulator is leaking and should be replaced.

//2000CAYukon
2000CAYukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Bogeydog
AF Newbie

Thanks, just talked to my mechanic, and fuel pump and pressure regulator test fine. They checked the injectors, and they are good too. No problem's, and truck runs great. I'm a little concerned, and may replace the fuel pump relay anyway, or just carry it around and if it happens again replace it and see if it helps. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again.--
Old 06-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
sle03
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 99 Yukon Starting problem. Fuel pump?

My 2003 Yukon won't start with 1/4 tank remaining on fuel quantity gauge. The first half-second it sounds like it started normally, but after that its only useless cranking by the starter.

Added 4 gallons of gas from cans, and it instantly started.

Drove to gas station and added 18 more gallons into 26 gallon gas tank.

Therefore, the Yukon won't start when only four gallons of gas are left in the tank.

Cheap fix, just fill up sooner. Love the vehicle otherwise.
sle03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Bogeydog
AF Newbie

I'll remember that. However both times when I encountered this problem, the car started and ran fine several hours after the occurance without adding any more fuel. Doesn't make sense. Bill
Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #6
andyreg
AF Newbie

Having the same problem w/mine not starting w/only 1/4 a tank left. After giving it some gas it finally started and filled it up. Cranking fine now. The previous owners told us this. If it gets low it won't crank? This will save you dollars w/ the mechanic. I seem to think something must be wrong though.
andyreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
bcopeland
AF Enthusiast

I had a problem in my Malibu. First time I replaced the PCV valve. The next time, I replaced the fuel pump relay. But my problem was an ittermittent hesitation on acceleration.
bcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon