Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
bdg85GT
AF Newbie

fiero clutch issues

I haven't started my 85 Fiero GT in a few months. Just yesterday I decided to get her running again; which wasn't a problem...she just needed a jump. Anyway...I wanted to get her back out on the road but I couldn't shift into gear. I'm thinking it's the cylinders but I'm not sure. When the car is off I can shift into gear but when it's running I cannot. Any idea of what needs to be done to get this ole girl's wheels a spinin' again? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
bdg85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
southerngent56
AF Newbie

Re: fiero clutch issues

Did you check the clutch fluid level in the resevoir?
southerngent56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
bdg85GT
AF Newbie

I bought Hydro clutch fluid but I'm not sure where I need to add it to. Can you describe the location to me? Thanks!
bdg85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
southerngent56
AF Newbie

Up front, next to the brake fluid reservoir. Will have a round plastic cap. Be careful taking off the cap as it will probably be hard to twist off if you haven't opened it up in awhile. If you twist on it too hard you may crack the fluid reservior.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
southerngent56
AF Newbie

Use the following link for the webpage at the Fiero Store to see a location diagram and pictures of the clutch master cylinder:

http://www.secureleadercom.com/fssto...tch_hydraulics

Southerngent56
Old 03-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Ragtop_Renegade
AF Enthusiast

When a Fiero (or any car\truck\van\SUV\motorcycle\high performace bagel toaster with a hydraulic clutch) sits for a while, problems tend to surface.
Rust can easily eat holes in the old steel lines, this is even more prominent when your car gets exposed to or has been exposed to winter road salt or often sees ocean air. Top off the fluid and pump the living snot out of the clutch pedal, then look under the car. If you're getting a wet spot, the line will need replacing to get complete, reliable clutch travel back. If the fluid was low, and topping it off brought the clutch action back, don't assume it'll stay that way!!!! That fluid went somewhere, and it'll leak out again if you don't work to find where.

Remember the seals in your master and slave cylinder are over 20 years old and that's going to make them a bit weaker. Sitting around not getting used can make them shrink, and the older they get the easier this happens. If you're NOT losing fluid, the master cylinder is probably out and needs to be rebuilt/replaced. If you are, and you are positive the line isn't dripping, the slave seal probably failed - this will leak fluid into the clutch bellhousing where you can't see it. In this case the slave must be rebuilt\replaced. Keep in mind that if enough fluid from the slave leaks onto the clutch disc, it will cause slipping and may drastically shorten the life of the clutch.
3Rd gen F body floor pans/camaro door skin (L)

Why is it I see so many "Proud to be an American" bumper stickers on the backs of cars made in Japan or Korea??????
Ragtop_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero