Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
bipra
AF Newbie

Question 1995 LeSabre A/C Recharge questions

1995 LeSabre with 50k miles & A/C is not cold enough.

Picked a recharge kit & gauge and the gauge said the system was overfilled. Did I hook the gauge up to the high side by mistake? I thought the high side had a bigger nozzle than the low.

What is the proper PSI for the a/c system?

Where is the refill nozzle located?

Thanks!

bipra
bipra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: 1995 LeSabre A/C Recharge questions

High and low side has different size fittings. The low side is the smaller fitting and where you charge the system, also the only one that the charge kit will fit. Normal R134a systems operate at 30-45 psi on the low side @ 75 to 85 ambient temp. Be sure your engine is running for 3-min (to stabilize system) with air conditioner on high, then start your charge.
HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
bipra
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1995 LeSabre A/C Recharge questions

Thanks for the quick reply.

It appears the that the low-side was overcharged... however, the compressor clicks on and off intermittently every 5 seconds or so. I have read on these forums that this could be an indication of low charge.

When I checked it initially the gauge pointed to "ALERT", so I discharged until it was in the green. It now reads fully charged, but the a/c is now poorer than before.

Should I charge it regardless of this gauge reading or will I damage the system?

Thanks,

Bipra
Old 07-28-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Gocart879
AF Regular

unhook battery cable to let system clear itself and start over, let cables unhooked for about 30 seconds. this may reset the system, as it was previously overcharged a high pressure reading was read and the hig/low switch was tripping the compressor to prevent damage. post back with details.
Gocart879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

If your compressor is cycling with a full charge and not cooling, then your compressor is weak, and not pumping the Freon at the pressure required to cool!! Install a new compressor. Again, low side should be 30-45 and high side 220-280 with the ambient mentioned above
Old 07-30-2005, 05:13 AM   #6
rum runner
AF Regular

HotZ28?

My a/c system has leaked down some, enough to blow ambient air. When I connect to the low side, do I hold the first can upside down or right side up? I have heard it both ways.
rum runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #7
bipra
AF Newbie

I disconnected & reconnected battery, and nothing changed..
Old 07-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #8
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: Re: Re: 1995 LeSabre A/C Recharge questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum runner
HotZ28?

My a/c system has leaked down some, enough to blow ambient air. When I connect to the low side, do I hold the first can upside down or right side up? I have heard it both ways.
For R12 or 134 you hold the can upright and shake it occasionally. I usually warm the can in warm tap water, (100 deg. F) prior to charging. That will give you more pressure in the can to override the system low side pressure. Is your compressor still running? If it is blowing ambient air, it probably is not. See if you can get at least one can in the system and watch for the compressor to start cycling. If you can not get enough in to start the cycling, you will have to jumper the low side switch.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #9
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipra
I disconnected & reconnected battery, and nothing changed..
Stored codes will not cause your compressor to cycle, only current pressure (high-low),while running, will cause cycling. You can not clear codes and fix a bad compressor. You can continue to charge the system until the low side line feels cold. Let the engine continue to run in order to stabilize the system, and if the low side gets warmer, add some more. If the compressor is going bad, you don’t have to worry about damaging the system, it will not pump enough pressure to do that, even with an overcharge. You could also have a clogged expansion valve screen, however if that is the case, the debris usually comes from the compressor wear and tear.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #10
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

Try not looking at the color code of the guage. This guage is made for a generic system. I wouldn't go by the color codes.

What you want to see is numbers like HotZ28 posted. Another thing to look at with the engine shut off your low pressure should be slightly above ambient temp.
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Flatrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
rum runner
AF Regular

I bought the Wal Mart freon can and gauge package. $26.50 Was nervous at first with the high pressure reading but the compressor finally stayed on, the pressure lowered, and charged to about 40 pounds. I did the hot water soak also.

The cheap gauge set I got in the package, about 8" long, has the gauge in the middle of the line. The gauge has a check valve, not allowing you to purge the line completely.

I possibly got a small amount of air in the line when I hooked up the quick disconnect, not sure. Am I in trouble here?

thanks
Old 07-30-2005, 10:55 PM   #12
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

If you got the low side down to 40 psi, and the compressor is running without cycling too often, you should be OK. Is it cooling? If it is, drive it around for awhile and recheck the low side before turning off the engine. If it is still at 40 psi, see if you can add enough Freon to get it in the 35-38 range. If it is cold enough, don’t worry about it.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 AM   #13
rum runner
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotZ28
If you got the low side down to 40 psi, and the compressor is running without cycling too often, you should be OK. Is it cooling? If it is, drive it around for awhile and recheck the low side before turning off the engine. If it is still at 40 psi, see if you can add enough Freon to get it in the 35-38 range. If it is cold enough, don’t worry about it.
Yes it is cooling after driving for awhile. I will check it again with the gauge.

Thank you for the info

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre