Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #1
ledfut
AF Newbie

Dodge SRT-4 -VS- the rest of them !

I finally got my test-drive of the 2004 Dodge SRT-4.
I have some good news and some bad news:

Good news? Having test-driven just about every other high-performance compact sedan, the SRT-4 outperforms them all by a wide margin. I got a good run at the I-85 on ramp and at about 4,000 rpm the engine seems to double in size and horsepower. I was going 100 mph seemingly at the blink of an eye. Does it ever handle, stop and corner. The turbo is a bit peaky and takes some getting used to, especially holding a line on cornering. For straight line acceleration, I've not driven anything in 30 years that gives that rush of power from a box-stock compact sedan.

Bad news? The car is not particularly comfortable to drive for me. It feels radical and the lack of adequate "mufflering" at any speed or RPM creates an annoying and tiresome drone through out the inside of the car. The Recaro seats did not fit my shoulders or tush at all. I'd go nuts sitting in those on a long trip. It's noisy, very hard-riding and unrefined. Sure, the adrenalin rush of power is fun but I'd get tired of the drawbacks soon.

Mind you, I'm 58 and a lot of you younger types would love the SRT-4 but I'd rather tool around in an Acura RSX Type-S where I could actually enjoy the stereo or a normal conversation with my spouse.

I'll share some other test drives I took recently on other posts (Mazda 3 5-door hatchback Type-S, Nissan Sentra SER Spec-V)
Just my worth.....

Your comments are always welcome.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082
Re: Dodge SRT-4 -VS- the rest of them !

I don't think they are recaro seats, they are Dodge "Viper-inspired" racing seats... and Earlier I test drove it as well (I'm 21) but the sales person came with me. I also noticed how the power kicks it at aorund 4000rpms, anyway, it's a good car. But it's not better than my LS1, I know from driving both, so I wish all these SRT-4s would stop tryin to act like they can run w/ me.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #3
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Yeah, the seats either fit you or they don't, and they fit me perfectly. The SRT-4 is more of an enthusiasts car than the RSX and you have to remember that the RSX is a lot more money. You can't expect to have a power-house like the SRT-4 with all of the features it offers you yet still have all the creature comforts and luxery of an RSX. It is only $21,000, that is a damn bargain for what you're getting.

But, to each his own. Your nit picks could easily be fixed though.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

how about a wrx? 03 wrx imo is comfy fast and a nice drive.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
syr74
AF Regular

I dunno, I think "comfy" is a relative term. IMHO A better term for the WRX might be "livable". They feel like what they are, a fast econobox. Ironically, the most "refined" feeling cars in this class never seem to get mega-hp variants.

The VW Golf and Jettas drive very nicely, and maybe even ride too softly. (hold your breath waiting to hear that statement regarding a car in this class again) However, that issue aside they might not need mega-hp versions as they are already too damned expensive in standard form.

The Focus is ugly as hell, except in the now defunct and incredible RS 3-door we never got in the U.S.. The SVT version drives very sweetly, but feels gutless.(note to Ford..this only seems to work out for Honda Civic Si's as everyone else gets called on the lack of hp) The SVT basically showed people what the RS felt like without the proper motor in place. Problem is, people wanted the proper motor.

The Mazda Protege was a very nice little sedan. However, Mazda needed to figure out that turbo engines are only cool when they make more hp than your competitions n/a motors. 180hp in your 1.8L turbo??? whoopity, freakin' doo. Toyota did that with their n/a Celica GTS five friggin years ago!

The new Mazda 3 is almost certainly another great car that will never get the motor to make a difference. And, it is the also, on the same C1 chassis as the new Focus. The new Focus that we don't get in America for at least a few years if ever. But, we do get the Mazda spinoff of that car???? Go figure that one out.

The Golf/Jetta, Focus, and Protege all had superior chassis' to any of their competition at the end of their life cycles. (yes, I drove all three and most of their competition) And, the three of them were each older designs than virtually any other car in this class which makes the above truly amazing. Any of these manufacturers could have simply updated the existing chassis, added better features, given the car real power, and come out superior than the competition in virtually every respect with a cheaper car. (ok, maybe not cheaper for VW)

Ironically, they all seemed to decide that their superior chassis' were the real problem and replaced those instead. And, all of them, except possibly VW, are on schedule to still have under-powered cars for the near future in those needlessly redesigned chassis. I don't get it.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
ledfut
AF Newbie

Well-thought-replies......

Polygon: Yeh, you are right. The SRT-4 is the wildest small box-stock hot rod I've driven in about 20 years. I was racing during the late 60's and early 70's when the muscle car was king. The SRT-4 out-punches most of them, PLUS handles and stops better than ALL of them. My nitpicks are just that: nitpicks. I have to admit that my test drive was a real thrill. My salesperson was a female and I must admit she was not the least bit squeemish as I thrashed her demo through its paces.
Oh, and she corrected me in that Dodge no longer calls the SRT-4 a "Neon." It is just an "SRT-4." Give me more comfortable seats, a little less exhaust noise, and I'd buy one in a hot New York minute.

And youngvr-4itto on the WRX SI. Fantastic automobile but I'm trying to keep my purchase price at 20 grand or less. The WRX is over 30.
The SRT-4 is the best bang for the buck I've yet encountered.

SYR74: I've wrung out a Mazda 3 five-door hatchback Type-S and the underhood is all set up for the future turbo modification by Mazdaspeed. (would anyone deny that there is a turbo in the Mazda 3's future?) I'll be posting my driving impressions of this model soon.

Thanks for all of your fine comments........more later and best wishes.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
Demon_Mustang
AF Enthusiast

The SRT-4 is a tad high off the ground for my taste. Everytime I see one I imagine it going off-road.

But that could be fixed I guess, but the styling still gets me, it's really really ugly, but I guess that's subjective, some people think cars like that looks good, I guess I'm not one of them.
Demon_Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons