Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 09:38 AM   #1
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
here is the HOWTO I wrote a while back and have been updating as i learn more about how the X works. it has been updated as recently as today to add in things i learned from swaping out my torsion bars.

torsion bar adjustment HOWTO
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 11:20 PM   #2
Xcalibur
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Xcalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Xcalibur
Unhappy

I've got half of my torsion bars done!

I started with the driver side and had no problems. But my X has been sitting outside and I've been driving my wife's car for 3 days because I haven't finished the passenger's side yet. It is a little tight and hard to get the top nut loose and tight without romoving some of the exhaust. I hope it's not just my truck. It is a '01 which might be alittle diferent than the '00. Any help or suggestions? I'm on my way out there now to check it again and try an open ended wrench.

Thx in advance, G

'01 Khaki XE-V6 4x4 3-pk auto
with mods
Xcalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 11:52 PM   #3
gothamist
AF Regular

Umm, it's tough but it can be done. One thing to consider, if worse-comes-to-worst, is the fact that you don't absolutely have to loosen the locking nut if you're cranking the bars. The nut only provides tension against the bolt loosening, not tightening, so it should spin freely on the bolt if you give the torsion bar adjuster bolt a half-turn or so. Just crank the side up and then you should be able to reach in and torque the locking nut down with a smaller wrench then you'd need to break the nut loose in the first place.
Old 05-20-2001, 12:07 AM   #4
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Yeah it can be a bitch.

I remember putting a closed wrench on the bottom nut and the letting the wrench rotate against a strong metal part underneath to hold it'self in place (access towards the front wheels). Then you can just use a socket wrench to crank the adjusting bolt.

I had to use an open ended wrench on the locking nut (approach from the rear wheels). You'll only get a slight turn, then you need to flip the wrench over, and turn again (still approaching from the rear). You're only doing like 1/32 turns, but eventually it loosens up enough to use your hand.

Also lots of liquid wrench is VERY helpful.
Old 05-20-2001, 09:09 AM   #5
Chainsaw
AF Newbie

Dem's Nuts are Biatches!

What a coincidence. Just did mine yesterday afternoon. The driver's side was easy like you said, but the passenger side took some effort not only to break it free, but even to get to it. I had to use an open ended wrench and came in from the rear side up high to get the wrench on it. Even with the correct angle it was about a 1/64 of a turn each time. But you don't have to loosen it very far up the bolt.

On a side note I was trying to do this with a 4 year old running around asking me questions every 2 seconds and inadvertantly lowered my X about 1/2" before I caught myself.
Old 05-21-2001, 01:39 PM   #6
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

HA!

We did mine yesterday and the driver's side was a piece of cake, whereas the passenger's side sucked, had to remove the front anchor to get the torsion bar out of it.

Got 'em done and truck drives like a smooth machine now.

Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2001, 06:03 PM   #7
ToeJam
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to ToeJam
Comments....

For those of you that are like me and are mechanically "challenged", (like me) this is actually very easy to do.

FYI - One interesting note, my X was almost 1/2" lower on the right hand side. I ended up turning the left hand nut 4 full turns, and the right nut 6 full turns. End result was about 1" of lift (now level).
ToeJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:38 PM   #8
Jack Barr
AF Newbie

Re: Torsion Bar adjustment

I'm trying to equalize the R&L level of my Toyota motor-home which is about a full inch lower on the
driver's side. Managed to break locknut free and then turn adjusting bolt. Even though I haven't
touched the Right(high side) both sides were raised,
not just the left, as I expected.
Why is turning only the left adjusting bolt also raising the righ side as well?
Jack Barr is offline   Reply With Quote