Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
MStout
AF Regular

1995 Neon Rattling

Ok...I put my MTX 15"s in and theyre badass, but my trunk is unbelievably loud when it rattles. I need any type of method that will stop the rattling. My friend thinks a better thicker seal to shut it against will work, which would because when you push on the back of it, the rattling gets better, but I think it would take more. I am going to spray foam inside every hole in that trunk lid anyway for some dampening, so hopefully that will take away sqeaks and some rattling. A tighter latch would work too but it would be a chore then to shut the lid. I need any ways to fix this even a little bit. Its not real cool when thats all people hear up close, and yea its that bad.

Also...my RPMs drop when deep bass is shaking. My lights dim a little too. Thats signs of needing a capacitor, but I dont know what farad rating I would need to get. Im using a 1600 watt Legacy amp and its doing that, so if I get the MTX 1500 mono I want I will REALLY need it.
MStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #2
SilverJLEclipse
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SilverJLEclipse Send a message via Yahoo to SilverJLEclipse
Re: 1995 Neon Rattling

general rule for caps is 1 farad of capacitance per 1000 watts (real power not max or "musical power").
as for rattles, license plate is a major area. also, the place where inner and outer skins of the trunk lid meet. i would experiment with foam insulation between these parts in order to isolate. once you have found the source glue the pad in and apply a sound deadener. I guess I have to plug SECOND SKIN to not get flamed out of this forum!
SilverJLEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
Skydogg
AF Newbie

I had the same problem in my 98. I put dyna-mat on the top of the trunk and it gave it more wait and held it down pretty well. now it closes solidly like it is a BMW. Plus my trunk has weird spring loaded things that look like shocks. I tightened those down and now it is perfect.
Skydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #4
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane

Just to bug skydogg, The reason it works is because of mass not "wait [sic]". This is due to F=ma, more mass, less acceleration or movement.