Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
vgk
AF Newbie

Thumbs down This car drives me nuts

No engine light, no error codes.
Car stalls when decelerating; sometimes under steady acceleration (up hills); sometimes when at idle; sometimes when coasting down hills; sometimes when pulling away from a light, in other words, any time it feels like it.

But for the last two days, it ran perfectly, no problem. My wife won't drive it, its jinxed.

Could it be a loose connection somewhere? Maybe I'll pour some sake in the air intake and let it kamekaze itself into a Hummer and collect the insurance.
vgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
mynismo
yada yada yada

Send a message via AIM to mynismo
Re: This car drives me nuts

could be a bad fuel pump
Old 03-02-2004, 01:39 PM   #3
vgk
AF Newbie

Re: Re: This car drives me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynismo
could be a bad fuel pump
Would a fuel pump go bad only part of the time??? I had an old Jag and when the fuel pump went, it was out cold...This car sometime works great when I stand on the gas through the gears, and quits at idle.
vgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:18 AM   #4
SkyTorch
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: This car drives me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgk
Would a fuel pump go bad only part of the time??? I had an old Jag and when the fuel pump went, it was out cold...This car sometime works great when I stand on the gas through the gears, and quits at idle.
Sounds basic but it could yukky gas, and/or water in the tank will do what you described. I don't what year model you have but I had a lot of problems when I used 'regular' for a long period of time. Max wants premium - or at least the occation gas treatment / octane booster. I'd pour in a gas treatment AT LEAST once a month. If nothing else, for about $3, you can eliminate one of a long list possible problems.
SkyTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
chrisr67
AF Regular

I only use premium in my Max too. It sucks at 1.97 a gallon, but your car will love you for it and run a hellova lot better. Your problem could be any number of things though. A dirty fuel filter, bad fuel pump, plugs, and the list goes on. I'd take it to a reliable mechanic for a good tune up and see if that helps.
good luck!
chrisr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:27 AM   #6
desertmike1
AF Enthusiast

Your problem could also be intermittant Electrical!

One area I would look into is the fuel pump power circuit, i.e fuse, relay, connectors etc. Also you can have the fuel pump tested for current draw, and pressure output.
Pay close attention to your connections for rust and corrosion.

Process of elemination can be slow and painfull!

Good luck.

-Mike
desertmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote