Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #1
civicrunner
AF Regular

D16y8 engine build

I have a D16y8 with 4-1 headers, catback exhaust, high-flow cat, and intake. I plan on going turbo in about 3 months when I get the cash. (Yes I know im gonna have to take the headers and intake off) What other mods would you reccommend to increase my hp and torque? I would to really like to build the engine up so when all is said and done, i would be pushing at least 200whp. Im guessing that Im gonna need new turbo cam, new pistons. What else?
civicrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
GScivic7
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GScivic7 Send a message via MSN to GScivic7
Re: D16y8 engine build

you won't need a new cam. I'd build the bottom end if I were you. It's not difficult to hit that 200whp mark in a turboed D16, but it's going to really strain the motor. Forged pistons, and rods would be a good start also, sleeve the cylinders. Other than that, you should be alright. What turbo kit and fuel controller/engine management system are you thinking of going with?

Empty Pockets Racing Member #1
GScivic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
civicrunner
AF Regular

Im really not sure on those. I was thinking the Edelbrock turbo because I heard that it spools the fastest and I have an auto. Any suggestions? I dont know a whole lot about the FMU's. Could you reccommend a setup? THANKS!
civicrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
defmusik
AF Enthusiast

i got an auto too....would i be a lame ass for turbo charging my D16 autO?
defmusik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #5
GScivic7
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GScivic7 Send a message via MSN to GScivic7
Re: D16y8 engine build

The Edelbrock kit is great, but I don't know how upgradeable the thing is without replacing expensive parts that the kit already comes with. Your best best would be to go with a custom kit. This is the setup I would recommend.

Garrett T3 turbo
Revhard turbo manifold with T3 flange
Tial 35mm wastegate
Johnnyracecar.com intercooler
HKS SS BOV
Have all of your intercooler, intake and downpipes done by a competent exhaust shop
Hondata S200B
You're going to need an OBD1 ECU and conversion harness to use the Hondata, also either RC 440CC injectors or you can use DSM 450cc injectors with a 4th gen Civic/CRX resistor box

Other than that, all you need is all of your oil lines and fittings, boost controller, turbo timer, gauges. Which is all up to you on which ones you want to get.

Hope I haven't left anything out.

Empty Pockets Racing Member #1
GScivic7 is offline   Reply With Quote