Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Molding lines....What are they ??

Seems to be a few who dont know what is meant be..."sanded the molding lines out". I know most of you do !!
They are small lines which are mostly over the front and rear bumpers of kits.
At times these molding lines can run up through the front window pillars, along the roof and back down the rear pillar. They can even carry along the tops of guards.
To remove them just sand out with some 600/800 grit paper at first, followed by 1000 grit then a final sand with 2000 grit paper to make it all nice and smooth

I hope this well help out

First 2 pics shows it on a GTR32 Skyline

Back bumper on a Honda

This is a good example of older kits and how bad the lines can be.

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 04:33 PM   #2
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Re: Molding lines....What are they ??

Great illustration!!

But always be careful and double-check your references!! Make sure it is a mold line you're about to remove and not a detail on the actual car.
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
dag65
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to dag65
Re: Re: Molding lines....What are they ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay@af
Great illustration!!

But always be careful and double-check your references!! Make sure it is a mold line you're about to remove and not a detail on the actual car.
Yes good idea, also a mold line is created where the pieces of the mold used to make the model come together. In more sever cases its called flash. You will usually find this in older kits that are reissued over and over, the mold begins to wear out and allow the plastic to seep out a little.
dag65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:59 PM   #4
impreza2k2
AF Enthusiast

thanks for the tips!
impreza2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:23 PM   #5
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
I must be lucky, my mold lines are never that bad.

Great tips P-Man for the new guys.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 07:30 PM   #6
gasman03
AF Enthusiast

I always read people bitchen here about mold lines and flash on AMT kits, but you have to remember, most AMT kits are 30+ years old, thats why there alot flash in there kits, and it costs alot of money to make a new tool, I garentee if Tamiya reissues the Enzo at least 5 times over the next 20 years, it would contain alot of flash like AMT kits, like that Austin kit which is maybe 15-20 years old, and it shows it. so if you don't like mold lines and flash, go out and find original issues of kits. if you don't mind spending the money. Mold lines and flash arent a problem at all, a little sanding and some cutting there gone
gasman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:14 PM   #7
hirofkd
AF Enthusiast

That's one evil but sound reason why don't put off buying new kits, and I keep piling up the stock of first edition kits. I recently bought an F40, and the slits on the side of the rear cowl was badly shaped, showing a mold damage.

hirofkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:14 PM   #8
Sebstar
AF Regular

wow, thanks for that pman!
that answered my question to HOW to remove them

btw, can anyone tell me where the mold lines on the r34 V-Spec 2 are? I can't seem to locate them
Sebstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:23 PM   #9
Mustangman25
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mustangman25
I have the VSpec II kit, and from my knoweldge, there are none. This is mainly because of two reasons: The kit is a relativly new molding, so mold lines are ot a problem. The second reason is because of the way the kit is molded. Most mold lines are found on the bumpers of a car. By molding the bumpers seperatally on the tree, mold lines can be eliminated on the kit. HTH
Chuck
Old 10-17-2003, 11:48 PM   #10
Sebstar
AF Regular

ah sweet

ta
Sebstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:01 AM   #11
Headlight
AF Newbie

Molding Lines

Thanks Pman for your speedy response on the moulding lines. I really appreciate it.

-Headlight
Headlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #12
Inquisitor
AF Newbie

The V-spec II actually has mold lines but they are hidden. From the front they run along the hood panel line, then the a-pillar, on the roof along those bulges, c-cpillar and the most visible ones are beside the trunk panel lines. At first sight they don't seem to be a problem but I recommend you remove them or when you polish the paint and it comes from this mold lines.

Tamiya has a rather predictable way when it comes to first edition and re-issue. Tamiya 95% of the times inject their first editions and a few early re-issues in Japan, check sides of the box and you'll see where it was made. Then after a while they ship their moulds to Phillipines for further re-issues.

It's noticeable the difference in casting and plastic quality between those made in Japan and Phillipines, specially old models which are quite worn out. I noticed this some years ago and have been hunting those early editions.
Inquisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 12:37 PM   #13
360spider
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman03
I always read people bitchen here about mold lines and flash on AMT kits, but you have to remember, most AMT kits are 30+ years old, thats why there alot flash in there kits, and it costs alot of money to make a new tool, I garentee if Tamiya reissues the Enzo at least 5 times over the next 20 years, it would contain alot of flash like AMT kits, like that Austin kit which is maybe 15-20 years old, and it shows it. so if you don't like mold lines and flash, go out and find original issues of kits. if you don't mind spending the money. Mold lines and flash arent a problem at all, a little sanding and some cutting there gone
Oh, that's odd... I'm yet to see at least one Tamiya kit with flash, even 30 years old.... They just maintain their molds in good condition, and they actually spend money on keeping the tools almost as new (in addition to tooling new kits every year...)
Old 10-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #14
Camber
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Camber Send a message via Yahoo to Camber
Thanks pman, hey can I see a picture of the front bumper of that mugen integra? its differnt right?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:55 PM   #15
scaleracecars
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman03
WRONG!!!!
Tamiya just reissued the Porsche 956 which was first released in 83 or 84. No such problems with the new kits. Also the tools (molds) can be made from different types of metal. The harder the metal the more expensive it is to make. Tamiya, it seems uses a harder material than other manufacturers which is why their tools keep putting out first quality kits for a longer time. Or they care enough about quality to refurbish their tools from time to time.
David
scaleracecars is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD