Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 08:50 PM   #1
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

boost on b18c head

How much boost can you run on a fully built bottom end but a completly stock gsr head/valetrain?
00tegGsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 04:03 PM   #2
Bambooseven
AF Enthusiast

whats the compression?
Old 09-25-2003, 10:24 PM   #3
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

I have a darton sleeved block with JE 9.2:1 comp pistons with crower rods and arp studs. I didn't have the money at the time to build the valvetrain so it is completely stock. I have an AEM ems with 550cc injectors and 255lph fuel pump. I am about to install a custom turbo set up with a t3/t4 .60 trim with a .63 AR and FMIC and other necessary parts. I just want to know after good tuning how much boost I can run safely on a stock GSR head?
Old 09-27-2003, 01:41 AM   #4
boosted331
AF Enthusiast

Re: boost on b18c head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tegGsr
I have a darton sleeved block with JE 9.2:1 comp pistons with crower rods and arp studs. I didn't have the money at the time to build the valvetrain so it is completely stock. I have an AEM ems with 550cc injectors and 255lph fuel pump. I am about to install a custom turbo set up with a t3/t4 .60 trim with a .63 AR and FMIC and other necessary parts. I just want to know after good tuning how much boost I can run safely on a stock GSR head?
Think about it. What do valves, or springs, or retainers, or cams have to do with how much boost you can run? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Onlything that the valvetrain is holding you back on is your ability to rev higher, which you don't really need to do when running a fairly small turbo like you're going to.
boosted331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 04:22 AM   #5
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

Alright I am no idiot I know that rebuilding your valvetrain is required for higher revs. I am asking this question because I just met someone at my performance shop who came in with almost the same set up as me but he was running 24psi on a stock gsr head on 101 octane and dropped a valve and destroyed his engine. His ems was tuned very well. I didn't get all the details but this was how much boost that I was going to run so this made me think if it is safe. I should have rephrased my first question differently. I just want opinions if anyone has heard of this happening or had experiences with this happening to them. I just do not want to have to rebuild my motor because I was stupid and didn't research this prior to running high boost levels.
Old 09-27-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
Bambooseven
AF Enthusiast

I think 24psi sounds reasonable on your bottom end setup, obviously 24psi on the street daily driving it would be a bit hard on the motor, but i think the head would do just as well if you were not boosting. (IE if your head was destined to drop a valve or spontaneously disintegrate, or whatever in 10,000 miles then it probably will do the same boosted)
Old 09-28-2003, 12:00 AM   #7
billab2ong
AF Regular

Re: boost on b18c head

um...daily you can go about 16 psi on 93-94 octane. i wouldnt go much higher....but im not really that knowledgable on your paticular setup. i would ask the guys at www.honda-tech.com for their opinions b/c a lot of them are in the 300+whp club. 16psi w/ aem ems should handle very well and you shouldnt blow anything up....at the track you can probably do 22 psi
Joanna: Won't you get fired?
Peter Gibbons: I don't know. But I really don't like it and, uh, I'm not gonna go.
Joanna: So you're gonna quit?
Peter Gibbons: Uh-uh. Not really. I'm just gonna stop going.
Joanna: When did you decide all that?
Peter Gibbons: About an hour ago.
Joanna: So you're going to get another job?
Peter Gibbons: I don't think I'll like another job.
Joanna: Well what are you going to do about money? Bills?
Peter Gibbons: You know I never really liked paying bills, I don't think I'm going to do that either
billab2ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 12:14 AM   #8
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

My GSR is not my primary vehicle I just drive it on weekends and occasionally during the week but I will only run about 14psi when I am just driving around. On the weekends when I have 101 octane I will turn the boost up to 24psi but only when I race people like
ws-6's,camaros,and other v8's and quick cars.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:19 AM   #9
billab2ong
AF Regular

24 psi on that engine it shouldnt be a race...its more like you driving 4 car lengths ahead of them and them thinking "that guy's tires spun through 1st, 2nd, and he still kicked my ass"
Joanna: Won't you get fired?
Peter Gibbons: I don't know. But I really don't like it and, uh, I'm not gonna go.
Joanna: So you're gonna quit?
Peter Gibbons: Uh-uh. Not really. I'm just gonna stop going.
Joanna: When did you decide all that?
Peter Gibbons: About an hour ago.
Joanna: So you're going to get another job?
Peter Gibbons: I don't think I'll like another job.
Joanna: Well what are you going to do about money? Bills?
Peter Gibbons: You know I never really liked paying bills, I don't think I'm going to do that either
billab2ong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 12:58 AM   #10
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

Damn I never knew about honda tech forums they seem to have way better tech questions and more knowledge in their answers. Also it doesn't seem like alot of people give you smartass answers everytime you ask advice. Not to dog on everyone some people have helped me alot here. Thanks for the link!
Old 09-28-2003, 01:06 AM   #11
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

Yeah on stock ws-6's and camaro ls-1's I would like to be doing that but when those things run alot of nitrous like I have seen they could give me a run for my money. But I think I will keep my 80 shot direct port still on there just incase........ha ha!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction