Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 04:54 PM   #1
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

Question golden eagle sleeves

I am thinking that when I do my bottom end on my B18c I will just go ahead and have golden eagle resleeve my block. I am wondering if anyone knows how much this runs in price and what people think about this? Is this worth it and with a metal head gasket and JE 9:1 pistons with crower rods what is the max boost I can run with a Drag 3 kit. Please give all your opinions. Thanks
00tegGsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

With 9:1 compression assuming pump gas 93 octane, I'd say you can run 16-18 intercooled boost. Since you are going through the trouble of sleeving, get the 8.5:1 pistons and run about 22-24 PSI, it will make more power.
PWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 10:52 PM   #3
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
i agree with pwman but be very careful at tuning.....if you are going to run psi like that

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 01:10 AM   #4
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

Does anyone have their block sleeved with golden eagle and if so what do you think about it? Please someone give me some feedback.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:12 PM   #5
Rob80
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Rob80
I've contacted them a few times. they will sleeve up to like 85 mm for 750, then boring and honing is 125. So figure around a grand or a little over with shipping. JE pistons will run you depending on your engine around 500 bucks, if they don't make them for your car custom pistons for an extra 50 bucks. Crower rods for about 640 shipped. With 8.5:1 pistons look to boost at about 18 psi any more will need engine management system.
Rob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:14 PM   #6
Rob80
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Rob80
Oh and its like 95 bucks for a cometic head gasket for a turbo. Good luck. I started out looking to do just pistons rods sleeves and turbo and I am dumping like 8 grand into my car now. If you do it, do it right so you don't have motor pieces. hehe.
Rob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:54 PM   #7
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Cronic
GEM

They are the best are brightest ladies and gents.
JE pistons are the suck. www.theoldone.com
Endyne Wiseco are the shit. You own a honda, not an Eclipse. In my expierence Hondas like larger turbos at lower boost. You don't need to run 30psi from a t25 or a .50 trim t3. After you sleeve that block get a 60-1 t3/t4 .63 a/r, pop in some Endyn 10:1 pistons, Hondata, 550cc injectors and 12-14psi on pump gas. Depending on tuner. You will NOT be able to run 18psi on pump gas with out engine managment, IE Haltech, Hondata, Tec II. etc. Even when you have one of these expensive systems. 18psi is a stretch.
Tuning is key to everything. You'll be looking at 400-500whp AND you will have power off boost. Hondas do not like low compression, I don't care who you talk to. We have Hondata, that is what makes Hondas shine over DSMs who MUST use lower compression. We just have to work harder then they do.
Cronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:06 PM   #8
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Why get a T3/T4 if your only running 12-14 PSI?
Old 06-03-2003, 06:39 PM   #9
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

Why?

A larger turbo will flow more air per PSI then a smaller one. You want to get as much air in and out as possible. It's not the pressure that makes hp, it's getting the air in and out.

For example. A t25 will (for example only) push out 250cfm @ 12psi, a t3/t4 .57 trim will flow 600cfm @ 12 psi, hence making LOADS more power. The key here is to not outflow your motor. Granted it will spool slower, but make more power.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:11 PM   #10
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

OK now I got that part, but still a question - Say a certain compression engine will only allow a certain PSI to run on pump gas, where does CFM come in here? Some people say you can run 14 PSI on pump gas with 9:1 compression, what about CFM? Does CFM matter when it comes to detenation factors?
Old 06-04-2003, 06:16 AM   #11
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

Compression.

In theory, I believe 12psi and 9:1 are ideal for pump gas(93 octane).
In practice, it all comes down to tuning. Ive seen a 10:1 forged piston B18b motor run 16psi from pump gas with Hondata.
There's an equation which Im not really qualified to explain that can calculate compression ratio under boost. CFM has nothing to do with detonation as far as I've seen. CFM also has nothing to do with pressure, which is the cause of detonation in this case. There are other causes of detonation, but no need to mention them at this time.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:31 AM   #12
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

So it doesn't matter how much CFM gets pumped in, it's the matter of pressure?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:38 AM   #13
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

For detonation? Yes.
For power? No.

You can also outflow your motor by using too large a turbo at too high of CFM, this will cause compressor surge, and the eventual distruction of the turbo.

I calculated at one time the flow rate of my D16y8 engine and matched it properly with a 60-1 @ 10psi, ideal. unfortunatly I have a heavily worked head, and low compression pistons, which Ive not worked the numbers for. I would say my motor could do 20psi w/o fear of surge. I do not have sleeves however, and Im not looking for more then 12psi.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:23 PM   #14
00tegGsr
AF Newbie

Can you do all bottom end work and run 16 psi without head work or will you have to upgrade cams, valves, springs, etc. to make your engine run properly. Also runnung alot of hp can I expect to be replacing a tranny every 6 months just by daily driving?
Old 06-04-2003, 11:24 PM   #15
Cronic
AF Enthusiast

With a completly stock motor on a GSR Ive seen 285whp with 8psi from a 57 trim t3/t4, 450cc DSM injectors, and Hondata.

Your tranny will survive.

With PROPER tuning you can run 16psi on race test, 110 octane. Possibly on 93, but that's pushing it. Probably making in excess of 350whp

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction