Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 12:58 AM   #1
killah_xft
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to killah_xft Send a message via AIM to killah_xft
cracked dash?!?!

alright, I have been wondering this since this winter how the hell did my dash crack? I don't keep anything up there that could bang around, and hit the dash with enough force to crack that clear plastic.. but somehow it cracked, and now I have to replace it.. But I am affraid that I'd have to replace the entire console (speedometer/tach/temp/fuel guages) which I am guessing would be fairly costly.. and also my speedometer is sticking slightly.. I was driving along doing 40mph, and stepped on the gas to get it to 55, and I noticed the speedometer was a little sticky... can I just take it apart and use some silicone lube/spray on it? thanks and if there are aftermarket consoles that would be cheaper, that look better that would be great, thanks.. and how would I transfer over the #of miles on the car? (about 60,000)
Black 1999 Honda Accord LX, Bombz Cold Air Intake, DC Sports Ceramic Exhaust header, "Rally racing" Foglights, 400 watt coustic 401SE AMP, 450 watt Bazooka TVB 141 Tri-vent triangle sub. 220 watt Pioneer 6.5" 3-way (in doors).

To come: Dynamat, Borla exhaust system, and 17" Koenig Absolute (black w/ chome lip), Coilovers, & camber kit (1-1.5 drop), Extensive Engine mods.

check me out on: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/515191
killah_xft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
janello116
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to janello116
my dash is cracked too. its kinda down on the left driver side where no one would notice it anyways. i dont think it was from me cuz i have NO idea how that woulda happened. i bought it like in oct. so i musta been dumb and not ever noticed it. i jsut decided to say f*ck it and leave it.
janello116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #3
zippeay
AF Enthusiast

Your dash is either plastic or vinyl so after a couple years after its heated and been cold they often crack. Thats why they sell those stupid windshield deflectors, the sun's UV rays break down the plastics and vinyls after awhile, thats all. And about the gauges, yes you can take them apart just be really careful cause if you break the needle that holds the speed-o, tack, or gas gauge there's no way to fix them. Trust me I know I broke one putting in my gauges. I would take a drop and put it on the needle that will probably work, don't spray the crap out of it or it will make a mess
zippeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
killah_xft
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to killah_xft Send a message via AIM to killah_xft
no, no. My dash is'nt cracked the clear plastic dust cover for the factory guages is cracked. I don't know how it would crack cause I never keep anything up there like my sister (nail polish, and papers). so I have no Idea how it cracked. I do live in Maine where the temperatures get rather extreme, but it should'nt crack because of that... my question is how would I go about replacing it? and how much would this cost me provided I did the work myself?
Black 1999 Honda Accord LX, Bombz Cold Air Intake, DC Sports Ceramic Exhaust header, "Rally racing" Foglights, 400 watt coustic 401SE AMP, 450 watt Bazooka TVB 141 Tri-vent triangle sub. 220 watt Pioneer 6.5" 3-way (in doors).

To come: Dynamat, Borla exhaust system, and 17" Koenig Absolute (black w/ chome lip), Coilovers, & camber kit (1-1.5 drop), Extensive Engine mods.

check me out on: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/515191
killah_xft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 12:48 AM   #5
zippeay
AF Enthusiast

Either have to go to the Honda dealer or a junk yard, get a Haynes manual and it should tell you how to take it out, if you can't figure out how too.
zippeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:24 AM   #6
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
On my Civic, I had to rip the clear plastic OEM piece that protects to gauges off when I bought a Carbon Fiber Eurodash, then the Eurodash gauge cover fits right over the spot that was at....Look at the pic on may gauges, you'll see what I mean. Anyways, so if your plastiic cover is cracked, maybe you could buy something like that if they make it for your year/type of honda. It would solve your cracked plastic cover problem, and look a lot better to boot. If the car your talkin bout is the 99 Accord your thing next to the post says u drive, the part number for a eurodash from APC (hey, I know, it's APC, but it doesnt look that bad) is 205005CF. Anyways, the website shows a pic of what that one looks like if your curious. I hope this helps, its an option besides buying a cover froma junkyard or dealer, and witht he outragous prices dealers charge, it might not be a bad option to look into instead of just a clear plastic peice again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carbon fiber dash.jpg (31.2 KB, 82 views)
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote