Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > Completed Projects / Gallery
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Completed Projects / Gallery Post all completed works in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
gmspromo
AF Newbie

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR (Tamiya 1:12)

Okay, so this is my first real attempt at modelling since I was a kid around 10 years old (I'm 31 this year!) .. I have a thing about Kawasaki's, I don't really know why, maybe it's the green or maybe I just loved the way Shinya used to throw his MotoGP bike around that got me in to the beloved Kawasaki green.
So what is my first project? Well, it had to be Shinya Nakanos Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR from the 2006 MotoGP Season (based on the Tamiya 1:12 kit)...

Now I have to admit, I didn't take any pictures along the way because for one thing, I just wanted to see what my first attempt at making and painting a model would turn out like after 20 years ... and secondly I didn't start reading forums like this until I was half way into the model and had been well and truly bitten by the modelling bug!!!!

Some things I have to tell you before I post the completed pictures are that along the way I learnt a lot - from mistakes I made (that I hope not to make on my next model) to tips I'd learnt from a lot of you great people here on the automotive forums which have and will be invaluable!!

The tools I used to complete this were as follows;

• Tamiyas Basic Tool Set (comprising of knife, two screwdrivers, plastic file, side cutters and tweezers)
  • Four different size humbrol paint brushes (yes everything was handpainted, oh to have an airbrush!!!!!)
  • A selection of Tamiya paint jars
  • Some Revell Contacta Glue (love the fine nozzle on this stuff!)
  • Microsol for setting/softening the decals
  • Some random pieces of sandpaper
The most important thing I think I learned, apart from taking your time, is that Microsol is your friend ... Microsol is your BEST friend, especially in making something that has thins many decals!!!!

Anyway, on to the photos ...

Here is an image of the "Naked" Bike ..

... The other side of the "Naked" Bike with a better with of the Tamiya detail up set I used that included metal front forks, front and rear reservoirs and steering damper ...

... Close up of the rear wheel assembly and swing arm. The eagle eyed may notice a slight mess up of one of the rear wheel decals, it's one of the things I hated about doing this bike, they don't seem to match the radius of the wheel which didn't help matters ...

... a close up of the front wheel assembly and metal forks/reservoirs. Again, the pinstripe on the wheel isn't perfect just because they didn't seem to fit properly. I'll get it right next time!

... Overhead view of the rear wheel and suspension (with yellow shock and brass? reservoir that were both part of the detail up set)

... bike with rear cowling, seat and fuel tank installed ...

... Overhead of the fuel tank, "electronic" dash and handle bars ...

... The Ninja!!!!!!!

... and here is the complete bike with all the cowls installed. Thanks for taking the time to have a look and any compliments/criticisms/questions welcome!!
gmspromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
stu_davros
AF Newbie

Re: Kawasaki Ninja ZX-RR (Tamiya 1:12)

The Ninja looks amazing, you can almost see Randy de Puniet falling off it.
Which paint did you use for the green?
Stuart
stu_davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
Mckay6013
AF Newbie

Great Looking Model.....You did a excellant job on bring out all the detail and the green paint really makes it stand out....

Mckay
Mckay6013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
gmspromo
AF Newbie

Thanks for the nice comments guys ...

The paint I used was a Tamiya 10ml pot of Light Green (X-15). It's not quite the proper Kawasaki green, but it's close enough I think. I do believe Tamiya released a green colour specifically for this model, but I couldn't get hold of any!!

It was painted by hand as well, I REALLY wish I had an airbrush .....
gmspromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
ravan17
AF Regular

yea i think the green matches perfectly man, great build. id love to see one of these built in a street version w/out the decals, i love the ninjas
ravan17 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > Completed Projects / Gallery