Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Talk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 04:19 PM   #1
quickcarsrus
AF Newbie

does a automatic 5.0 lx have good torque

do they pin u to the seat and pull, im talking bout automatic ?, b/c im about to buy one
quickcarsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:26 PM   #2
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
If you're gonna buy a 5.0 Mustang, do not get an automatic.. Simply because since you're asking about torque you're probably gonna do a lot of racing, therefore you would be better off with a manual.

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 10:55 PM   #3
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Re: does a automatic 5.0 lx have good torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Josh
If you're gonna buy a 5.0 Mustang, do not get an automatic.. Simply because since you're asking about torque you're probably gonna do a lot of racing, therefore you would be better off with a manual.

Quiet.

Quickcarsrus - The Auto LX 5.0 will pin you to your seat and pull quite well. Manually shift your car through the gears, and it'll do pretty good for what it is. As for your question about torque, the motor is the same as what comes in the manual cars. So dont worry about it, you're not 'losing' power per say for getting an Auto.

Plus if you're gonna do lots of drag racing, Auto is the way to go. More consistent and quicker shifts and easier to control launches. Makes for more reliable ET's.

Manuals are better suited for road racing events for better control of your power curve for when entering and exiting turns on a track.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 11:27 PM   #4
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: Re: does a automatic 5.0 lx have good torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck383
Quiet.
Plus if you're gonna do lots of drag racing, Auto is the way to go. More consistent and quicker shifts and easier to control launches. Makes for more reliable ET's.

blah blah.......excuses.......you are just too lazy to shift admit it

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 11:33 PM   #5
-The Stig-
On Fire!

Send a message via AIM to -The Stig-
Re: Re: Re: does a automatic 5.0 lx have good torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino
blah blah.......excuses.......you are just too lazy to shift admit it

So? I'm still winning aren't I?

Well, at the moment I'm not but soon enough.

User Guidelines It's important to read, like the Bible. But unlike the Bible we will strike you down if you jerk off around here.

-The Stig- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 11:41 PM   #6
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Re: Re: Re: Re: does a automatic 5.0 lx have good torque

Quote:
So? I'm still winning aren't I?
not if double clutch like Torreto

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:24 PM   #7
barrchr
AF Newbie

you start off in the hole 25-30 ftlbs vs a manual. $1500-2000 in a new converter, 1 piece input shaft and good cluth sets you will be competitive. consistency is the name of the game in drag racing and you cant beat a good auto. as far as putting you in the seat, unless you have serious gears out back, i doubt it will even turn over the tires from a standstill. take it from someone who has had an AOD and sunk a wad of cash in it.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:35 PM   #8
HiFlow5 0
Stanger

Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0
Re: Re: does a automatic 5.0 lx have good torque

Quote:

Unless your pushing some serious power, a fairly stock 5.0 auto will not have any advantages. Shifts will be slower, and it's not recommend to manually shift a stock AOD. Launches will be horrible cause of the fact the auto eats up a lot more power then a T5, and the gearing on an AOD is less then desirable for drag racing. The AOD's gears are only useful for highway trips on gas mileage.

Far as torque, RedNeck is right, there is not power and torque difference in either an auto or stick car. Both are rated at 225 hp and 300 ft-lbs or torque. Just a stick will make you feel the snappiness of the torque, whereas an auto's poor gears and lazy tranny will make that one feel a little more sluggish.

With all that said, AOD's can be made into excellent trannys! Most people who own autos will first off install a shift kit, which helps greatly, then new rear gears (3.73's or 4.10's), along with a high stall torque converter and trans cooler (this is key for the auto cause it's stock converter is WAY too tight for any type of performance), and finally some people install a hardened input shaft, and a A-survo. After those mods, it will feel like a totally different car, and will have no problem hanging with a 5 speed of equal mods.

Ultimately it comes down to personal preference. Do you like to shift, or are you lazy? I'm happy with my AOD, but sometimes do wish it were a 5 speed.

HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #9
barrchr
AF Newbie

not to be a prick hiflow, as you seem to be a true gear head, but i beg to differ. an aod car with OEM trans parts will definitely dyno 25-30 ftlbs less than the same car w/ manual. I am in a local SVT club and see lots of dyno time with lots of different vehicles and the 5 liters show a noticeable difference between the 2 on the rollers. The new motors consistently put out 30-40 more horses than the 5 liters. But now, build the 5 liter right and its nighty night to pretty much anything. It seems you have built yours right with the mods you have listed, it sounds very much like and old trunk car I used to have that truly balled. Any way the amount of mustangs running in Memphis is getting outrageous and I have seen lots of AODs and also lots of manuals.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
HiFlow5 0
Stanger

Send a message via AIM to HiFlow5 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrchr
not to be a prick hiflow, as you seem to be a true gear head, but i beg to differ. an aod car with OEM trans parts will definitely dyno 25-30 ftlbs less than the same car w/ manual. I am in a local SVT club and see lots of dyno time with lots of different vehicles and the 5 liters show a noticeable difference between the 2 on the rollers. The new motors consistently put out 30-40 more horses than the 5 liters. But now, build the 5 liter right and its nighty night to pretty much anything. It seems you have built yours right with the mods you have listed, it sounds very much like and old trunk car I used to have that truly balled. Any way the amount of mustangs running in Memphis is getting outrageous and I have seen lots of AODs and also lots of manuals.
Yes, that is absolutely correct. An AOD eats up a lot more power then a manual will. I was simply stating what the motors were rated at, not at the wheels though. Which is what I meant by the AOD being lazy, sorry I was not clear on that.

HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 02:17 AM   #11
Los
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Los Send a message via MSN to Los
stock 5.0 with an AOD blows.

Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 01:41 PM   #12
fatninja19
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fatninja19
Just get the 5 speed. more entertaining.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:18 PM   #13
BigDanTheMan
I read and am helpful.

Send a message via AIM to BigDanTheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los

you know what i like about los? pure articulation. direct and to the point - a quality i look for, and appreciate.
BigDanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 03:14 AM   #14
Los
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Los Send a message via MSN to Los

You're kidding right?
Los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:10 PM   #15
CB91StangGT
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CB91StangGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los

Very true! I hated my car when it was stock. All my friends with mustangs would diss my car and tell me how slow it was and I hate admit that they were 100% correct! I used to get so jealous of my friend's rides and often found myself bashing my head against the wall asking myself why I ever bought a conv with an AOD. When my car was stock I could beat it in a shopping kart or on my pogo stick. My grandmother literally could leap off the line faster than "the stang" could (sarcastically). It was an embarrassment. I wanted sell it and get a coupe or hatch with a 5spd but my dad made me keep it simply because it was a nice car. He didn't have the need for speed like I did. All I can say today is I'm glad he made me keep it. The car is MUCH faster now. Just the gears and shift kit alone made a HUGE difference. Then I did the converter and the car woke up all over again. So yes, stock 5.0's with an AOD do suck ass... BIG TIME. But with the propper gears, shift kit and converter they move pretty good, even with a stock motor. When my car was stock I raced my friend's 5.0 conv that was also stock but with a 5spd. He beat me by about 5 car lengths. I had my AOD rebuilt with a trans-go shift kit, then later added the 2800 stall. He installed a T-5z and centerforce clutch. We both added 3.73's, exhaust and other minor bolt-ons. Nowadays we are pretty much kneck and kneck all the way through give or take a 1/2 car length depending on traction. Its amazing what an AOD can do with a little help.

Built AOD w/2800rpm stall, 3.73's, aluminum d/s, 2 chamber Flowmasters, BBK shorties, 65mm tb, 73mm maf, subframe connectors.

1990 Mustang LX Conv 25th Anniv: 50,000 original miles, 2nd owner :banana:

2 chamber Flowmasters, o/r h-pipe, Pro 5.0 shifter.
CB91StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote