Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
miles333
AF Newbie

Where do I learn...O2 Sensors?

Where do I learn how to FIND and REPLACE my O2 sensors on my 01 Windstar?

Where is the best place to buy them?

The van has 50k miles on it and they just went bad a 1,000 ago...if I am planning on only keeping the van at the most 10-15k more miles, should I just replace the sensors or dig deeper to change the "isolator bolts" which sounds more advanced then my capabilities?

Thanks.
miles333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

What makes you suspect the O2's are bad? Is the check engine light on, or been coming on? If it has, have the codes read and post back. Usually there is an underlying problem that causes bab O2 readings at that low mileage.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: Where do I learn...O2 Sensors?

I also agree with way2old.
Very common cause of oxygen sensor codes is wiring.
Very common cause of codes along the lines of "lean bank .... " like 174 & 173 is vaccum leaks.

The most common cause of the vaccum leaks on a '00 - '03 windstar would be from leaks at the intake manifold.

Do a search on "Intake TSB", or "174" to see a whole bunch of information on the TSB.
Involves replacement of bolts in the upper intake assembly.

There is even a link to some great instructions, parts needed, and pictures....

http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html

Please post the numeric codes that you have....It would be very highly unusual for ALL 4 of them to have gone bad.
And at $50 each.....adds up...

If you do replace, you can buy the Bosch "OE" style sensor at Autozone, advance auto, etc.
Bosch makes them for FORD.
Buy a "Oxygen Sensor Socket"....which is a deep socket with a slot up the side to accomodate the wires.

Spray some "PB Blaster" onto the threads and let it soak.
You DO run the risk of breaking the threaded mounting ring out of the exhaust. This happened to me on the rear most catalytic converter.....the "downstream" sensor mounted right into the back part of the converter....and with very little force, the ring broke right out of the converter. Fortunately, I was replacing the converter assembly....and not the oxygen sensors.

The way that the sensors are set up (using my '96 for reference), there is an oxygen sensor before (upstream) and after (downstream) each converter.

The upstream sensor is used by the computer for air / fuel mixture monitoring and correction.

The downstream sensor is used by the computer to monitor the catalytic converter to make sure that it is working "catylist efficiency".

They are called "heated" oxygen sensor as each sensor has a heater inside. The sensors work by a chemical reaction. The sensor must be hot enough to work....so the heater does that.

The chemical reaction is caused by the difference in the oxygen that the sensor "sees" in the exhaust and in the outside air. This chemical reaction creates a voltage....which the computer uses to maintain the correct ratio of fuel and air.

If you take an oxygen sensor out....DO put some anti seize (high tempurature rated) on the threads.....to make is possible to take it out again in the future..... Also, if installing a new oxygen sensor.....do the same thing.
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

You will typically get a slow or no activity code from a 'bad' O2 sensor, or a heater circuit malfunction code. Any other codes from O2 sensors are likely caused by other issues like vac leaks.
G/luck
Joel

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar