Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 10:49 PM   #181
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Ok... last time I checked, Mitsubishi was not the most reliable car on the road... just ask any DSM owner. I second the notion that Japanese being more reliable is a myth, and any car can go long /w a little TLC. Resale value... oh yea, that new Kia for $8,995 is going to have great resale value!
I thought we pretty much acknowledged the fact that Evo's don't run 12s stock!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:07 PM   #182
Jabberwocky
AF Newbie

500 bucks worth of NOS and some drag radials gets the LT1 powered fbody into the early 12s - deep 11s.

EVOs are pretty good cars though. During a rainy autocross EVOs and WRXs seem to run really good times compared to everyone else. These 2 cars each clearly have things they each are better at.

I need a digital camera so I can take pictures and post. But I had to blow a big chunk on tires last month. Test days are expensive and non competitive. I'll be the first to admit that neither my car nor I are competitive enough ... Yet.

This car camparison forums seems kinda bland. Every thread kinda looks the same. What other forums are cool on this site, there are so freaking many.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:54 PM   #183
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
Ok... last time I checked, Mitsubishi was not the most reliable car on the road... just ask any DSM owner. I second the notion that Japanese being more reliable is a myth, and any car can go long /w a little TLC. Resale value... oh yea, that new Kia for $8,995 is going to have great resale value!
I thought we pretty much acknowledged the fact that Evo's don't run 12s stock!
First off that whole $500 Nos argument is not good, because you could do the same thing to the EVO and get the same results, so what's your point?
Actually yeah there are EVOs that do run 12s stock, ever heard of the EVO MR or EVO FQ300 or EVO FQ330 (do some research). The EVO just like the Camaro has different variations of the model, for example you have the Base Camaro, Camaro Z28, and then the Camaro Z28 SS. The EVO also has different variations, which include the Base EVO, EVO MR, EVO FQ300, and then the EVO FQ330. The EVO MR, EVO FQ300, and EVO FQ330 all will run the 1/4 mile in the 12s stock, so really you haven't established anything yet. Pit the highest version of the EVO, the EVO FQ330 against the highest version of the Camaro, the Camaro SS and there is absolutely no competetion.
So in the USA the EVO that is for sell is pretty much the base version and it's with out it's 6-Speed and is down on horsepower to the Japanese and Euro version, yet it still is capable of low 13 second passes. But you are right, the EVO on sell in the USA right at this moment will not run 12s stock (not counting the occassional factory freaks) but that is until the EVO MR goes on sale in the Fall, and then yes the EVO will run 12s stock. The EVO MR will be a much better all around EVO, with it's lighter weight, more power and torque, 6-Speed Transmission (which will hold much more power and be more durable than the problematic 5-speed on the EVOs now), and have a revised suspension system that will turn the EVO into not one of the best handling cars for under $50,000, but the best (Elise will be up there with it too).
Your right about Mitsubishi realibilty, Mitsubishi is not the most realible, but then again neither is GMC. But I hope this discussion doesn't turn into an issue of realibility and re-sale value and get away from what matters and that's performance. The EVO on sale right now is awesome, it's all around performance can not be touched by the Mustang or Camaro. The EVO MR will be even better, and it's all around performance will not be touched by any car costing under $50,000 (except for the Elise and C6 Corvette). I have no interest in downing the Camaro or Mustang, for I also believe those two cars are awesome in their own respect, but also realize the potential and performance of the EVO and eventuall EVO MR, do not be ignorant just because you like the Camaro more than the EVO.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:16 AM   #184
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

lol u guys use the word "NOS" that's a f&f term NOS is a brand N02 is the correct term or Nitrous Oxide.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:40 AM   #185
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000ways
First off that whole $500 Nos argument is not good, because you could do the same thing to the EVO and get the same results
Werd on that, although I'm a firm disbeliever of any type of nitrous setup in any vehicle thats driven daily. One thing I do not understand is where does an Evo MR etc. have anything to do in a comparision involving a Evo8? Sounds irrelavant as does the base and Z28 trims. Yet I still didn't understand why they put in the 5speed vs. the 6 (cost?). Also if you look at any car that gets imported to the US, its always a watered down version of what the origin versions are. My guess is the low octane fuel, and emissions. The Evo8 still is an incredibly good handling car for the cost. Their almost in their own league with a few others. I haven't had the privaledge in riding in one yet (very rare where I live...very), but I can guarantee I will have my seat belt on along with grasping the door handle . One question I do have is that can you get an Evo8 easily into the 11's with only 5K? Maybe if you diy? What kind of psi can the stock turbos go up to? I would think their would require a lot of upgrades to be running 11s.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:33 AM   #186
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

with 5 grand i can run 11's, upgrade the turbo fuel system etc... and there ya go, high 11's aren't that hard with 5 grand if you know what your doing. isn't the evo-8 the 4g63t?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:21 AM   #187
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
This car camparison forums seems kinda bland. Every thread kinda looks the same.
Yeah... they're all car comparisons.... who'd have thought

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:39 AM   #188
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

weird how that happens...
the 500 dollar nitrous idea is lame.

we're talking stock.
end of story.

put that same kit on the evo with slicks...
oh yeah, it's just as quick.

next?

this is getting old.

not much new to talk about, except going blatantly off the topic for the sake of proving a car is better.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:40 AM   #189
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

oh...
reliability?
dsm's weren't seen as uber reliable.
is this a DSM?
no.
it's a car that's had a long history, without much "reliability" issue, in the rest of the world.

you can't say that an evo is not reliable b/c dsm's weren't.

the main issue in high power dsm's was crankwalk, which is a USDM issue. so there's not problem with the evo.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:53 AM   #190
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19
Werd on that, although I'm a firm disbeliever of any type of nitrous setup in any vehicle thats driven daily. One thing I do not understand is where does an Evo MR etc. have anything to do in a comparision involving a Evo8? Sounds irrelavant as does the base and Z28 trims. Yet I still didn't understand why they put in the 5speed vs. the 6 (cost?). Also if you look at any car that gets imported to the US, its always a watered down version of what the origin versions are. My guess is the low octane fuel, and emissions. The Evo8 still is an incredibly good handling car for the cost. Their almost in their own league with a few others. I haven't had the privaledge in riding in one yet (very rare where I live...very), but I can guarantee I will have my seat belt on along with grasping the door handle . One question I do have is that can you get an Evo8 easily into the 11's with only 5K? Maybe if you diy? What kind of psi can the stock turbos go up to? I would think their would require a lot of upgrades to be running 11s.
How does the EVO8 MR sound irrelavant, I mean it is the EVO8 with more power, I'm just saying that the SS trim is the high end variation of the Camaro and the EVO8 MR is one of the higher end variations of the EVO8. What you said really makes absolutely no sense, for it seems like you are assuming the EVO8 and EVO8 MR are different cars, when in fact they are the same, one just has more power and lighter weight (The Racing version). The use of the EVO8 MR was also used in response to the quote that somebody said, "EVOs can not run 12s stock." Yes they can, the EVO8 MR can, and yes it's an EVO that will go on sell in the USA this Fall. Believe me do some more research please, it is quite easy to get the EVO into the 11s with stock turbo and no NOS for well under $5K. I mean we can go on for ever and ever about this, but if you don't take the time to do some research and hit up the tracks and observe then all this is pretty much pointless, do you want to know the truth or believe what you believe? Your choice, I care not what choice you choose. But here is an EVO with well under $5k doing a 11 Second run, and let's not forget the EVO is much more than just a drag car-

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII equipped with:
Ultimate Racing 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust
Ultimate Racing HKS SSQV Kit
Ultimate Racing Intake Pipe w/ HKS Air Filter
Ultimate Racing 785cc Fuel Injectors
Ultimate Racing Ported Exhaust Manifold
Ultimate Racing Turbo Housings, O2 Housing
Walbro Fuel Pump
Greddy E-Manage / Profec E-01 Boost Package
HKS 272/272 Camshafts
Race Fuel

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...at11771mph.wmv
Old 05-11-2004, 12:05 PM   #191
Kurtdg19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kurtdg19
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
How does the EVO8 MR sound irrelavant, I mean it is the EVO8 with more power, I'm just saying that the SS trim is the high end variation of the Camaro and the EVO8 MR is one of the higher end variations of the EVO8. What you said really makes absolutely no sense, for it seems like you are assuming the EVO8 and EVO8 MR are different cars, when in fact they are the same, one just has more power and lighter weight (The Racing version). The use of the EVO8 MR was also used in response to the quote that somebody said, "EVOs can not run 12s stock." Yes they can, the EVO8 MR can, and yes it's an EVO that will go on sell in the USA this Fall. Believe me do some more research please, it is quite easy to get the EVO into the 11s with stock turbo and no NOS for well under $5K. I mean we can go on for ever and ever about this, but if you don't take the time to do some research and hit up the tracks and observe then all this is pretty much pointless, do you want to know the truth or believe what you believe? Your choice, I care not what choice you choose. But here is an EVO with well under $5k doing a 11 Second run, and let's not forget the EVO is much more than just a drag car.
Well in the future I will do some research instead of asking you for any helpful anything. Honestly I don't understand why your being so unwilling when I just asked a few questions (you sound like you know a bit about Evo's so why shouln't I ask?). I also don't know what you think I believe but it seems like your awfully going out of your way to make some point that I never deemed impossible in the first place.

Also I didn't realize that the Evo MR is only a variation of an Evo8, sry bout that. I never meant to push your buttons.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #192
Dodgeramit
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
How does the EVO8 MR sound irrelavant, I mean it is the EVO8 with more power, I'm just saying that the SS trim is the high end variation of the Camaro and the EVO8 MR is one of the higher end variations of the EVO8. What you said really makes absolutely no sense, for it seems like you are assuming the EVO8 and EVO8 MR are different cars, when in fact they are the same, one just has more power and lighter weight (The Racing version). The use of the EVO8 MR was also used in response to the quote that somebody said, "EVOs can not run 12s stock." Yes they can, the EVO8 MR can, and yes it's an EVO that will go on sell in the USA this Fall. Believe me do some more research please, it is quite easy to get the EVO into the 11s with stock turbo and no NOS for well under $5K. I mean we can go on for ever and ever about this, but if you don't take the time to do some research and hit up the tracks and observe then all this is pretty much pointless, do you want to know the truth or believe what you believe? Your choice, I care not what choice you choose. But here is an EVO with well under $5k doing a 11 Second run, and let's not forget the EVO is much more than just a drag car-

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII equipped with:
Ultimate Racing 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust
Ultimate Racing HKS SSQV Kit
Ultimate Racing Intake Pipe w/ HKS Air Filter
Ultimate Racing 785cc Fuel Injectors
Ultimate Racing Ported Exhaust Manifold
Ultimate Racing Turbo Housings, O2 Housing
Walbro Fuel Pump
Greddy E-Manage / Profec E-01 Boost Package
HKS 272/272 Camshafts
Race Fuel

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...at11771mph.wmv
The ss isn't the highest end variation of the camaro. You could get it in a 1LE package, SLP package, a Lingenfelter, or Callaway package. Gm offered the camaro and firebird in many different variations just as the EVO is.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #193
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

i don't know that callaway or lingenfelter, or even slp, count as "factory" packages.

that's like saying that a saleen mustang is a ford product, that ford makes.

it's not.

those models aren't.

again, children, camaro isn't the point of this thread. firebird is.

just b/c these companies can fall under GM's warranty program, and all that fun stuff, that doesn't mean that they're GM products, rolling off of GM assembly lines...

you won't find an SLP/callaway/lingenfelter car on GM's website.

end of story
Old 05-11-2004, 01:28 PM   #194
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtdg19
Well in the future I will do some research instead of asking you for any helpful anything. Honestly I don't understand why your being so unwilling when I just asked a few questions (you sound like you know a bit about Evo's so why shouln't I ask?). I also don't know what you think I believe but it seems like your awfully going out of your way to make some point that I never deemed impossible in the first place.

Also I didn't realize that the Evo MR is only a variation of an Evo8, sry bout that. I never meant to push your buttons.
Sorry about that too, didn't mean to push your buttons either. To answer some of your questions, such as getting the EVO into the 11s for $5k is that it has alot of aftermarket parts avialable for it and many stage upgrade packages cost anywhere from $700 to $2,200 (For stage 1) and easily get the EVO deep into the 12s. Reasons for this are the tuning abilities of the 4G63T, one the best engines to tune on the import scene. Many US DSM shops who have previously worked on the Eclipse, have gradually switched more support to the EVO which pretty much uses the same engine, just newer and better. Also if launched correctly the EVO is lethal from a stop, AWD gives it awesome traction and slightly modded EVOs that are launched correctly are achieving 60FT times from 1.6 to 1.8. You are correct on the reasons for Mitsu going with a 5-Speed instead of 6-Speed, Cost. Yet with the introduction of the EVO MR which will have the 6-Speed hopefully this will change, and eventually all EVOs sold in the USA will come standard with the 6-Speed. Well hopefully I answered some of your questions, if you have any other just ask.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:33 PM   #195
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeramit
The ss isn't the highest end variation of the camaro. You could get it in a 1LE package, SLP package, a Lingenfelter, or Callaway package. Gm offered the camaro and firebird in many different variations just as the EVO is.
I agree with flylwsi on this, those companies such as Lingenfelter and Callaway do not count as in house factory performance, They are pretty much aftermarket companies fixing up the Firebird or Camaro for you. I mean if you go with those companies, then I'm forced to go with the HKS 450HP and 600HP EVOs.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons