Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
sharpandsmooth
AF Newbie

Question 2000 Chevy Malibu Ls..stereo Installation Questions

Hi ..i Have 2 Questions I Need Help With Please----1. I Have A Chevy Malibu Ls (2000)...and I Am Replaceing The Factory Head Unit...with A Aftermarket Sony Unit.....ive Checked Around For The Wiring Harness...and Ive Been Told To Find Out If My Unit Was A Bose....or A Amplified...cause I Would Have To Have A Special Wiring Harness If They Were!! But I Dont Know If They Are Or Not....do Any Of Yall Good People Know...or Is There A Way To Tell...i Havent Removed My Factory Unit Yet....hope To Buy The Correct Wiring Harness And Install Kit Before I Do.....also---2. My Factory Head Unit Is In Mint Condition...everything Works Perfect...i Plan On Selling It On Ebay To Help Pay For The Cost Of This Sony...my Question Is...will The Person Who Buys It Be Able To Use It...and Whats The Deal With The Anti-theft Code...will The Buyer Have To Get That Code In Order To Use It...will It Cost?....i Dont Want To Try And Cheat Nobody With A Unit..they Cant Use Because Of Some Code....i Really Do Hope Someone Can Help Me With These Questions...thanks Again James
sharpandsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
sharpandsmooth
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Chevy Malibu Ls..stereo Installation Questions

why isnt anyone helping with the questions i asked on my previous post?
sharpandsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
johnschmitt
AF Newbie

I think they put the same style of head units in all the 97-02ish malibus. They had am/fm, am/fm/cd, am/fm/cassette, am/fm/cd/cassette, but they're all ac delco. I would get the standard harness and take it back if it doesn't work. If they don't take it back you're out $10.

As long as the theftlock isn't on when you remove it there should be no problem with someone else using it. Apparently, according to one site i found, there is supposed to be a little red blinking light next to the word theftlock on the radio when it's on. If that light isn't on, I would assume you're good.
johnschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
fiberglasscivic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fiberglasscivic Send a message via Yahoo to fiberglasscivic

The safest way to ensure that your buyer can use it is to call a local chevy dealer and have them give you the anti theft lock code. They will need the serial number. I don't know if they will need proof of ownership or not. My local acura dealer didn't.

You won't need the special wiring harness. The reason someone warned you about it was because chevy has some stereos that use an external amplifier. From what I understand, none of the 97-02 malibus use a system with an external amplifier. Even if you have an external amplifier then you are going to need a basic wiring harness. For the amplified systems there is a line level converter that goes inline between the adapter for the car and the plug for the stereo. I've installed an aftermarket stereo on an amplified system without the line level converter and didn't have any problems. Either way it goes you should be fine.

AF COMMUNITY GUIDELINES
fiberglasscivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
pete_dallas
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: 2000 Chevy Malibu Ls..stereo Installation Questions

I replaced my 2002 stereo with a kenwood. I got a plug that didnt work but it may work with yours. I ended up having to get a connector that was different. It also had a chime module on it and was $60. It basically controls the driver side front speaker and chimes through that speaker for any warning chimes.

If you want it you can have the one that didnt work for my malibu...just pay $5.00 inc. shipping. Either way open up and see what kind of connector it has to prevent wasting ur time and $$.

Let me know.
pete_dallas is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu