Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 07:58 AM   #106
blue lizard
AF Newbie

Turning up the idle turned out to be a symptomatic fix only. My fuel economy really began to stink. I bit the bullet and took my '94 LaSabre to the dealer. Turned out to be a bad Engine Control Module (ECM). I waited a while before posting to ensure I finally got 'er fixed.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #107
mariley
AF Newbie

Re: '95 LeSabre Dies Without Warning

I posted my story regarding my 94 Buick Regal GS previously and wanted to tell of my finding. I had a problem with losing the spark as I described and believed it was the ICM. I never replaced the PCM or the crank shaft sensor, but I did replace all the other ignition parts. After I replaced the ICM connector with the part that GM offers, it seemed to temporarily go away, but later my car started dying again or not starting. There never seemed to be any reason or rhyme to it when it happened. Anyway, the replacement connector part from GM had crimp connectors to attach to the ICM wires when the ICM connector is cut off. I did not do a good job of crimping the connectors since I did it again and made sure that they were tight and connected the wires well. Since then my car has not had any problem starting or has not died once. I believe that it is fixed and that the problem was not a crank sensor, cam sensor, or ICM.

If any of the wires from sensors, PCM, power, etc., do not make a good connection with the ICM through the multi-pin connector, it makes sense that there will be a loss of spark. This part is one part that is not normally thought of being replaced, but it has tin-plated pins that use spring pressure to connect to the ICM pins. After many years of heat and oxidation, the connector will not always make good electrical contact. Sometimes replacing the ICM will seem to fix the problem, but removing and replacing the connector on it will possibly and temporarily make the connections better.

It is difficult to prove that the connector is at fault, but through the connector, the power is supplied to the sensors, the sensors signal outputs are supplied to the ICM, the PCM ICM override output and ICM reference input is supplied, as well as the power to the ICM. Any of these signals not being connected well will cause an intermittent failure and can make the sensors appear to be at fault.

I wanted to let this known because I was blaming the ICM on getting hot and failing, when it turned out to not be that at all. The connector part is not that expensive and can be purchased at gmpartsdirect.com if you know the part number for your make of car.

It seems to me that this problem is very common in Buicks with and ICM.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #108
kram5527
AF Newbie

Re: fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdenkler
just fixed my 96 lesabre. same prob. there is an 8 way connector in front pass side rail underneath carpet. If car ever in a flood or spill water in pass front carpet, connector corrodes. controls fuel pump,pw, and power seat. clean, apply grease, wrap with tape.
I spent 1500 on fuel pumps,relays,etc, all for naught.
Goodyear and Firestone don't know squat!
I am having the same problem with my '96. When the fule pump quits (no pressure at Schrader valve, power windows and seats do not work). After a few hours pump, seats and windows work normally. Should I just pull the passenger seat, back seat, carpet and traverse the rail looking for the connector?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #109
mothof3
AF Newbie

got the same thing with my 95 still working on it reading all the posts. This is a good post hope I can find the help I need
Old 05-31-2006, 06:23 AM   #110
oharek1
AF Newbie

I wanted to add my experiences with this problem. I had the same problem as timrice. 1995 shutting off while driving every day to and from work. Usually on I95 going 65mph. Drifted to the side of the highway and restarted the car. Sometimes the car would idle rough sometimes it would run fine. Sometimes there would be a check engine light sometime not.
Reading these posts I concluded to try the crank sensor first. I also asked about this on one of the on line expert sites. The response was this problem on these cars was common and usually the crank sensor.
I replaced the crank sensor over the weekend, took that long to get the pulley off, and the car has been running fine.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #111
mothof3
AF Newbie

Bump
Old 06-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #112
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothof3
Bump
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.
Automotive Forums .com Rules/Guidelines

Old 06-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #113
mothof3
AF Newbie

I was posting to this because it help me.I saw another person with the same guestion about dies without warning. Bumped so it would show on the first page.Thank you.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #114
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

This thread has been locked, due to the age of the thread (2+ yrs), post drifting from the original subject, number of post (113) and the length of the post.

If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

Here is a link to this thread: '95 LeSabre Dies Without Warning

Last edited by HotZ28; 06-19-2006 at 10:33 PM.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre