Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #31
C man
AF Regular

Re: Shaking while Braking

I'm done changing the rotors and pads. I had a mishap while doing the job I was putting the rotor on and the caliper slipped off of the hub housing. I had a choice to make let the brake hose possible snap of or let the rotor go. Well I kinda let the rotor go. I didn't fall far or and it fell straight down so the surface didn't get scratched. but the Inner pad got a nice little scrape, well some material is missing on the edges. I must say the Wagner pads are softer than the durlast pads which is a good thing. I dropped the durlast pads on the ground on purpose, not a scratch, I hate them. I also adjusted the back shoes some more. This time I'm trying to eliminate any irritation.

The sad news is that the autozone man told me that they don't give back cash refunds after 90 days but that he could replace them but I said no I don't want them anymore. So he said he'll let his manger handle it so I'll find something out monday.

One last thing, what does this mean? I'm talkin about the different Brand names

Last edited by C man; 08-16-2008 at 10:08 PM.
C man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:56 PM   #32
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotZ28
Since this thread started, I have personally upgraded the brakes on my 96-Ultra with Raysbestos “Advanced Technology” rotors and Raysbestos “Quite-Stop” ceramic pads. After two months of some hard abusive driving (after the break-in period), I will once again provide Raysbestos with some free advertising. This is the best combination for the money on the market!! I have tried many other combinations of rotors/pads (including Bendix) and have never had anything come close to the stopping power of this set-up. Every stop is straight & sure, with no apparent fade. The rear drums & shoes were replaced earlier with new Raysbestos PG-Plus. After some hard driving, I checked the wheel & rotor temps with my Raytec Lazar thermometer and both checked below 180 deg, much lower than with the OEM rotors & semi-metallic pads. An additional benefit of the ceramic pads are, they leave very little brake dust on the wheels. I could not find the rotors or pads in stock @ my local Advanced Auto, so I ordered them online & had them shipped to my door. BTW, shipping was free and no TAX added. These were shipped from Phoenix, AZ and I had them within one week from the order date. Both rotors & pads for the front, cost about $160.00 total. Some pics after the install shown below. Notice the nice powder coating (inside & out) on the hubs to prevent rust!

You mean "Made in China" rotors. ...................

I don't know about that Bo on the issue of the best pads to use. I did not have good luck withe Raybestos ceramic pads so I canned them in favor of Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. I'll take superior stopping power over the cosmetic issues. I can live with the brake dust. BTDT!

I see you painted the rotor fins and center area. Good idea because even Raybestos rotors are subject to rust no matter what part of the country you live in.

BTW - You can get Raybestos PG Plus brake parts at any Checkers, Kragen, Schucks auto parts store right off the shelf. I found the price wasn't that bad either considering the waiting time. And the box does say "Made in China".

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #33
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Actually Bob, the hubs and cooling fins on the “Advanced Technology” rotors came with the powder coating applied, I did not paint anything! Let’s not confuse the standard “OEM or Better PG Plus rotors” with the Advanced Technology, they are not the same rotor, (apples & oranges). In addition, Raysbestos offers two distinctly different ceramic brake pads, one of which is a (lower grade) Professional Grade (PG) ceramic and the other is a much improved grade “Quite Stop” (QS) technology. BTW, the box that my Advanced Technology rotors came in was clearly marked with; “Made in the USA, or Canada”. Some more up-to-date-info from Raysbestos shown below:
Quote:
New Simplified Product Offering Is Built Around Technicians’ Needs

McHenry, Ill. — April 13, 2007 McHenry, Ill. (April 13, 2007) – The product offering for Raybestos® brand brakes has been completely re-engineered based on many months of extensive research with repair technicians.

“We conducted both qualitative and quantitative research to understand precisely what techs want and need from a brake supplier,” says Jeff Stauffer, vice president of global marketing for Affinia. “As a result, we are launching our Raybestos® brand 1-2-3 strategy — a program that also addresses the proliferation of both parts and vendors, which has become a major problem for distributors.”

Stauffer goes on to say the research clearly revealed that techs require a single line of hydraulics, two grades of rotors and three grades of friction. “The studies told us that a single line of hydraulics made to OE specs is all that is needed. With rotors, most situations can be addressed with a basic professional grade of OE-equivalent products, but some applications, especially severe duty or premium vehicles, require an ultra premium product capable of outperforming OE,” says Stauffer.

Stauffer indicates the studies showed friction to be more complex. “Sometimes techs have to meet a specific price point for a value-conscious customer. In those cases, they need a standard grade product that will perform well, but that is modestly priced. For the vast majority of the jobs they do, they need an ‘OE or Better’ product that comes complete with all the hardware to do a job. Finally, in certain situations, they want an advanced product capable of out performing OE — and that’s what we’re giving them.”

With the launch of the new Raybestos® brand 1-2-3 strategy, all technicians’ needs can be filled now with a single grade of hydraulics, two grades of rotors and three grades of friction — all in the Raybestos® brand. The friction line is segmented into three grades that reflect the needs described by technicians. The core offering, Professional Grade™ friction, provides “OE or Better” quality and coverage and comes complete with all required hardware. This principle grade of OE-equivalent friction is augmented by two complementary offerings — Advanced Technology™ friction, which is designed for specific severe duty and performance applications and Service Grade™ friction, which is priced to help technicians meet the needs of their budget-conscious customers.

Raybestos® brand rotors are offered in both Professional Grade and Advanced Technology lines. Professional Grade rotors give techs the broadest coverage for almost every vehicle in operation; including the latest models. Right out of the box, they provide performance that matches that of the original vehicle parts.

Advanced Technology rotors have a machine finish that exceeds what is offered by most OE suppliers and other Aftermarket lines. While economy rotors can exceed a 120 RA rating, these rotors have an RA finish that averages between 40 and 60 — providing a surface far smoother than can be found almost anywhere else and one that cannot be achieved in shops on brake lathes. “This superior finish is designed for silent operation of most friction materials,” says Bruce Reau, vice president of category management for Affinia Under Vehicle Group.

In addition to their superior finish, Advance Technology rotors feature a corrosion-resistant coating, which is exclusive to the Raybestos® line. Due to superior manufacturing, Raybestos® brand Advanced Technology rotors are ready to install right out of the box and are backed by an industry-first No Turn Guarantee.

Raybestos® brand consolidated its two hydraulic lines into one Professional Grade line. The new line features innovative noise reduction technology and form, fit and function that match OE.

“Techs made it clear that they maintain a high degree of trust and respect for the Raybestos® brand. But, too often, they felt they were required to turn to other brands to get the price or performance characteristics they needed for certain jobs,” says Reau. “We want to show Raybestos® is the only brand capable of addressing all their needs.”

Reau concludes by saying the reception the new Raybestos® brand 1-2-3 strategy is receiving an extremely positive response from the market place. “When we present the strategy to any of our distributor channel partners, universally, the response is how much sense it makes,” says Reau. “We view this as validation we have the right strategy.”

Raybestos® brand brakes are produced by the Affinia Under Vehicle Group, the leading manufacturer of braking systems and components for the automotive industry. The line includes everything from brake drums to rotors, pads, shoes and hydraulic parts. Affinia Under Vehicle Group is at the forefront of research and development in brake technology and operates manufacturing and distribution facilities throughout North America. Raybestos® brand brakes are the official brakes of NASCAR, and the NASCAR relationship also includes the Raybestos Rookie of the Year Award, which is presented to the top rookie in each of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup, Busch and Craftsman Truck racing series.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #34
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C man

One last thing, what does this mean? I'm talkin about the different Brand names
The other part numbers simply show the cross reference numbers of other parts & brands, not necessarily of comparable quality!

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #35
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotZ28
Actually Bob, the hubs and cooling fins on the “Advanced Technology” rotors came with the powder coating applied, I did not paint anything! Let’s not confuse the standard “OEM or Better PG Plus rotors” with the Advanced Technology, they are not the same rotor, (apples & oranges). In addition, Raysbestos offers two distinctly different ceramic brake pads, one of which is a (lower grade) Professional Grade (PG) ceramic and the other is a much improved grade “Quite Stop” (QS) technology. BTW, the box that my Advanced Technology rotors came in was clearly marked with; “Made in the USA, or Canada”. Some more up-to-date-info from Raysbestos shown below:
Ah! My bad Bo. Advanced Technology and comes with the power coating...interesting. The last time we chatted via PM you were pushing the Raybestos Pro PG Plus stuff which I still use with excellent results but with the other performance disc pads. So the "Advanced Technology" components is still Made in North America versus China. Send me a link to the supplier. I was saddened when I found out the PG Plus stuff was "Made in China" versus Canada and the U.S. in older times.

BTW - I used the Raybestos "Quiet Stop" brand and it was a no go for me but with PG Plus rotors maybe using the AT rotors will make a difference.

AT Made in US or Canada? Which one for sure?

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #36
BNaylor
AF Moderator

For now I retract the "My Bad" statement. Obviously, Raybestos has some explaining to do on the true origin of their 'Advanced Technology" brake components like the rotors. Possible multiple points of manufacture (U.S., Canada or China)? Also, looks like they have sold out on us to the cheaper labor and costs in China. See link below which is anecdotal at best but makes you wonder. No doubt that OP has the AT stuff.

Click here

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 08-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #37
maxwedge
A990 racer

Guys, I have found in the day to day business here in upstate NY, the quality of the " Chinese" rotors has improved greatly, both from Napa and Carquest, regardless of brand, but rust issues persist after 3 years or so.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #38
spytearbite
Banned

Buy USA. Look at the cheap out you just made. What did you save? $20 at the most? You buy US made quality aftermarket is the jobber for the OEM is wear out they part out their cars.

Say, Moog was my guess about loose tie-rod ends making a wobble, but parts being on the cheap and those high spots either out of round is they do not (corrupt) care is your dog food and tooth paste is buyer beware is more how you purchase parts; keep it in the family, you might say the dog is still alive. Sounds like your car received a car part like dog food?
spytearbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #39
C man
AF Regular

Been driving with the new brake job. The car brakes so much nicer. You can tell that the new brake pads aren't eating into the rotors from the pedal, its not spongy but it feels good.It just brakes better overall.Plus no brake noise . To top it off autozone gave me the money back on my rotors.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue