Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 06:15 PM   #1
popps
AF Newbie

Question 98 Park Ave belt replacemnt

Can the serpentine belt be replaced without unbolting the motor mount?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:10 PM   #2
tman
Pimpin' ain't easy

Send a message via AIM to tman
Re: 98 Park Ave belt replacemnt

I'm 99% sure you can change the belt without taking off the motor mount. Look at where it's routed, and you should be able to figure it out.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:31 PM   #3
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

Yes the belt can be changed without removeing the motor mount but you will need to disassemble the mount partially. You need to look at the bottom of the mount there is a stud and nut remove the stud then pry out the spacer and then you can change the belyt.
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Old 08-12-2004, 07:07 PM   #4
papason
AF Regular

Re: Re: 98 Park Ave belt replacemnt

Flatrater; I am looking at my 98 lesabre series II. I dont see a stud at the "bottom" of the mount. IF I loosen the bolt and pry off the bracket on one side, I would expect to need to support the motor first. How would I support the motor? or is this one not realy holding up the motor and will be fine to open it up for the belt replacement?
Old 09-19-2004, 09:51 AM   #5
harry123
AF Newbie

papason, Did you end up doing this yourself or taking it to the dealer? I am working on a 95 Bonneville. There is a 3-point motor mount on the side of the engine, two visible from the top side and the bottom one visible from the wheel well.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:14 PM   #6
papason
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry123
papason, Did you end up doing this yourself or taking it to the dealer? I am working on a 95 Bonneville. There is a 3-point motor mount on the side of the engine, two visible from the top side and the bottom one visible from the wheel well.
Yes I did it myself. The lowest quote I got was $55 it was a little too easy to fior me to pay that much. Just take out the bolt on the bottom bracket that allows you to move the spacer and slip in the belt. Not hard but a dumb design that could have been easier.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
Jed Rule
AF Enthusiast

If you flat-file a little bit off the spacer on a very slight angle, it will be easier to get back in.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
Flatrater
Main GM Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Rule
If you flat-file a little bit off the spacer on a very slight angle, it will be easier to get back in.
Filing is too much work and I am against work. If you take a prybar and gently move the mount the spacer will fall in and out no problems.

In the begining Jed I use to file but its much easier just to move the mount a millimeter to slide the spacer in and out.
GM Master tech
Licensed Aviation mechanic
Old 04-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
TooBizzy
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 98 Park Ave belt replacemnt

I just finished changing one, so I will share how I did it. First take off the engine cover. BTW this method is for the 3800 standard engine. It is much easier to change the belt if the coil packs are removed and layed back out of the way. There are 2 bolts under the packs that hold the coil mounting plate on. Number the plug wires and remove. Remove the coil packs and lay out of the way. There is a motor mounting bracket that mounts to the engine in 3 places. The front two mounts has spacers that need to be removed to get the belt off. To do this, you need to loosen the two main motor mount nuts on top, and lower the motor with a jack. Once you get the two nuts removed on the front of the motor mount, you will have to unscrew the studs from the block which will let you remove the spacers. There is little hex heads on the end of the studs used to remove them. One is a 1/4" and the other is a 5/16" socket. You have to lower the engine in order to get the lower stud out because if you don't it will hit the fenderwell. Take out the two spacers. Now you can remove and replace your belt. Assemble in reverse order....Your manual has a diagram of the belt routing...Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
imidazol97
AF -Advisor

I believe the standard way is lots easier. There is a nut surrounding the stud on the lower third part of the motor mount. Loosen it. then the stud requires a female torx socket since the head is a torx fitting. Support the motor (under the oil pan) lightly and remove the stud. The space drops out or pulls out. Replace the belt through the opening. Then reverse process. Working from the right from wheel area and pulling back the plastic splash housing. It may unsnap or unbolt or just push out of way and support with piece of wood. MY dealer had the car raised on the left side with a jack and worked through the right front wheel area. I don't think they used a jack under the motor; lifting from the other side may have the same effect. No guarantee on this since I'm recalling from memory and lots of years ago.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Sorry guys this a very old thread. Please follow posting guidelines for this and all Buick forums at the link below. Thread closed.

Click here

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines