Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
USMCtacoma
AF Newbie

Is a transmission flush necessary?

I drive a 2004 Tacoma prerunner with 38K miles on it and was recommended that I have a transmission flush for $280. That sounds crazy high and I couldn't find anything in my manual suggesting that a transmission flush is a part of a recommended maintenance schedule. The dipstick says that you do not have to change the fluid "under normal driving conditions". I live and work in Washington D.C.; is D.C. considered abnormal driving conditions? I find conflicting reports as to whether or not a transmission flush is a rip off and not needed. Any advice would help.
USMCtacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:25 AM   #2
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: Is a transmission flush necessary?

This information is from the frequently asked questions section in this forum, located on page 3.

TRANSMISSION FLUSH PROCEDURE
Q: How can I flush my transmission fluid without bringing it to a shop?

A: Here is one way posted by popeye08:

(from http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir.../.ee9950e/4658 )

You can actually change virtually all the fluid in the system using the following method. We have 5 Toyota's in the family, and I have done this to them all at least once.
It takes about an hour. Use whatever fluid is recommended on the dipstick, or in the manual. Our Camry's and Corolla's take Dexron, but the Celica takes Toyota Type IV fluid, available only from Toyota, at about $3.50/qt. Use what's recommended, or you'll be sorry. It's still less expensive than having it done.
1. Drop the pan*, drain the fluid, replace the filter, and reinstall the pan as you usually do.
2. Add 3 quarts of fluid. (or however many quarts of fluid are drained from the pan).
3. Remove the fluid return line at the transmission (usually the upper of the two lines), and place it into a one-gallon milk jug or similar semi-transparent container. You may want to place the container in a box with rags around it so that it doesn't spill.
4. Start the engine, and let about a quart or so of fluid get pumped into the milk jug (about 10-15 seconds).
5. Stop the engine, and add a quart of fluid to the transmission.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you get new fluid out of the drain line.
You'll use about 8-10 quarts of fluid total, including the 3 you put in at the beginning, so you may need more than one milk jug.
7. Reinstall the drain line to the transmission, start the engine, and check for leaks.
8. With your foot on the brake, put the transmission in each gear, then into Park.
9. Let the car down and check the fluid level on the dipstick. Add fluid if needed to bring it up to the proper level.
10. Take it out for a test drive, and check the fluid level again.

(*One caveat is that it is not nessary to drop the pan. Removing and replacing the filter is not necessary. It is more or less just a screen that doesn't get plugged unless your clutch plates shread or something equally traumatic happens. Brian R.)

The 2004 Tacoma shop manual mentions nothing about transmission flushing. In volume I on page DI 619 Step 11describes a basic transmission inspection which includes checking fluid level and checking fluid condition. "If the fluid smells burnt or is black, replace it"

On page DI 620 there is instructions for replacing the transmission fluid. It simply suggests removing the drain plug and let the fluid drain, install the plug and add fluid to the full mark. No mention of flushing.

The main problem with this type of draining is that it doesn't drain the fluid from the torque converter. Consequently only about 1/3 rd of the fluid gets changed. This is the selling point for the flush. I have never had one flushed and I have not experienced a transmission failure. I do usually do the simple drain and refill one or two times on vehicles I keep for several years. I believe the flush machines are more for the shop to make a profit than to provide a customer benefit. My opinion.

I consider severe operating condition to be things like towing, off roading and operatiion in extreme temperature conditions. I don't think regular commuting is considered a severe operating condition.

Clifton

Last edited by Brian R.; 09-12-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

The link you posted should be:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir.../.ee9950e/4658

Clifton, you didn't copy the link, only the text shown. To copy the link so that it works, you have to right click on the link and choose "Copy Shortcut" from the list.

For that matter, the link doesn't point to the post I wanted to cite anyway...

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Thanks Brian, I see now the link doesn't work.
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Fixed

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma