Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
jrdwyer
AF Newbie

Terrible AC/Delco sidepost battery

I just did my most difficult battery replacement ever on our 01 Silo with 57K miles. The connecting bolt had welded itself to the terminal wire and would not turn (heat from short, acid leaking, put on too tightly?). This resulted in the + terminal coming out of the battery when trying to unscrew it. So I then cut off the positive terminal cover to see the corrison and then cut off the terminal itself and replaced it with a new one. I thought about replacing the whole + cable from battery to starter, but that would have been more painful. Got the wires on tight and it seems to work fine with a new sidepost battery from AutoZone ($50).

So a 15 minute battery change ends up taking several hours. If GM engineers read this message board: Terrible Battery Design and Layout! It makes me wonder if anyone at GM does their own car maintenance?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
woscarr
AF Regular

Re: Terrible AC/Delco sidepost battery

I tend to disagree...

I just replaced the battery in my 98 trans sport the other day. First time since doing it in my old plymouth voyager or maybe my volkswagon golf sitting in the laneway can't remeber now, either way looking at my pontiac had me scratching my head.

I was impressed when what looked compilcated was actually quite simple.

Remove four simple things... cover for windsheild wiper mechanics, 1xbolt fuse box, 3xbolts stableizer bar and battery hold down clamp.

Then I discovered the original ac delco battery was not worn out but had a broken terminal. The postive terminal was leaking acid and hanging by a thread, I barely touched it and it fell off.

I used vise grips to hold the piece that came off the battery and took it off the postive wire with no problems. Looks like it might have been cross threaded and over tightend !?

The whole process took about 30mins., I got a little dirty pullin' the old battery out but I cleaned up the battery compartment and put in a new Motomaster72 and all's groovy.

I never owned a vehical where I didn't have to change the battery at least once, and I never owned a vehical where I had to change the battery twice. And always Motormaster 60 or 72. And I can think of two vehicals I had for 10+ years.

Cheer's
Old 07-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
jrdwyer
AF Newbie

So a battery post falling out of a battery and leaking acid and corroding the connecting wire is good?

I've never had a top post battery terminal break off and leak battery acid. Until this van, I've never had to replace a positive cable end.

Our last '88 Olds Delta 88 with side terminals at least had good access and the terminal didn't fall out of the battery. So maybe the batteries are just getting worse?

I didn't mention the cramped engine bay as I am used to doing maintenance on small Japanese Cars.

In their quest to save 50 cents on a part here and there (shorter battery cable, weaker battery terminal housing, ...), GM has lowered the bar on quality. And when you combine cheap parts with a tight engine bay, you make DIY repair a real pain.

Maybe eliminating DIY repair is the real plan at GM and GM dealer service departments?
Old 07-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
woscarr
AF Regular

"So a battery post falling out of a battery and leaking acid and corroding the connecting wire is good? "

When it's almost 9 years old... Yes !

It has surpassed it's life expectancy requirement.

I did say... 98 trans... original batt...

In my case there wasn't much leakage or any damage to the positive cable.

Cheer's
Old 07-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Well fellows they do not make them to last for ever.
A little battery cable cleaning and service would save you a lot of head aces.
And when a battery starts jucing get it out of there and replace before it does damage.
MT
Old 08-11-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
shaneland
AF Regular

If you want to stop the corrosion problem AFTER you connect your terminals and are happy with everything cover the terminals and calbe ends with grease or some terminal gook that they sell at walmart. Silicone can also be handy. If you want to be really neat cover the cable where it meets the starter too. Silicone is good because you can pull it off in chunks rather then wiping grease off of everything.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdwyer
I just did my most difficult battery replacement ever on our 01 Silo with 57K miles. The connecting bolt had welded itself to the terminal wire and would not turn (heat from short, acid leaking, put on too tightly?). This resulted in the + terminal coming out of the battery when trying to unscrew it. So I then cut off the positive terminal cover to see the corrison and then cut off the terminal itself and replaced it with a new one. I thought about replacing the whole + cable from battery to starter, but that would have been more painful. Got the wires on tight and it seems to work fine with a new sidepost battery from AutoZone ($50).

So a 15 minute battery change ends up taking several hours. If GM engineers read this message board: Terrible Battery Design and Layout! It makes me wonder if anyone at GM does their own car maintenance?
I had a post screwed in too tight at a Chevrolet dealer, and 3 weeks later, I had to disconnect it for something - I forget - but it pulled the entire post from the battery case. The dealer refused to help so it cost me a new battery, and 3 hours.

The parts retailer said this AC/Delco design does this frequently.

Put the post screws in with petroleum jelly film on the threads...
Old 08-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
jrdwyer
AF Newbie

My experience is the same. I never touched the battery in the five years before failure. This is not battery neglect as certified GM mechanics at two local dealerships did disconnect the battery at least once every year (except the fourth) due to various failures covered under warranty. So if a trained GM mechanic can't get it right, then I think either the engineering is poor or short-sighted financial people are running the show.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
js2007
AF Newbie

I think jrdwyer makes some awfully good points.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #10
AF Regular

on my 2002 silhouette battery change out in jan of this year took me 1.5 hrs and i was not to impressed as my 72 chev 1/2 ton and 86 caprice take me apx 15 min. the gook or grease is called dielectric grease for use on electrical conections to stop the corrison from occourring. 463
Old 03-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #11
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Sorry guys old thread so this one has been closed.

POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette