Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > RSX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #31
paulkramer
AF Regular

Me again. I just contacted my local Acura dealer and he is pretty certain that a Type-S strut tower bar will not fit my non Type-S. I think he is being cautious. It's a special order, non-returnable part.

Has anyone else done this installation?

Are the engine compartments so different?
paulkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 03:01 PM   #32
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Re: strut and tie bars

Sorry, no clue about the Type S sway....try ClubRSX......

Oh and the main reason people pay that much is because they're an expensive, high quality JDM name. I think its highway robbery but hey, whatever floats their boat. Mugen and Spoon are great companies but some prices are just too much. They're the same people who spend 350 for a Integra DOOR SILL! on their RSX....
Old 01-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #33
paulkramer
AF Regular

Integra door sill?! On an RSX?! What's up with that?!

Yeah, the OEM part is only $50, but I don't want to pay if it won't fit.

I'll try Club RSX. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #34
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Yeah, a huge craze (IMO its real tacky) is to rebadge your RSX as a Honda Integra. There are Lexus IS300's rebadging as Toyota Altezza's, 350Zs are Nissan Fairlady Z's, G35s as Skylines, etc.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #35
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Basically the Acura RSX is the Honda Integra still everywhere else. I say still becuase the Acura Integra here was called the Honda Integra everywhere else. They re-named the car the RSX here but kept the Integra name everywhere else. Some people feel the need to re-badge the RSX what it's called everywhere else...as crazy-canuck said, it's not the only car people do it with. Some re-badge the 350Z the JDM name, fairlady Z, some re-badge the IS300 the JDM name, the Toyota Altezza...etc.

It's just that easy folks... mind the forum guidelines and we're cool.
Empty Pockets Racing Member #6
EPR Member 4 Life
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #36
mmont0
AF Regular

When I said real ones, I meant the ones from Mugen. Anything from Mugen costs 10x as much. The replicas are made just like the Mugen bars except that they are made with a different metal so they weigh more.

As to having 2 strut bars, yes, I have both. I liked the idea of not having to remove the stock and just adding more support with the Mugen replica.

As to the base RSX, the TypeS strut bar will probably NOT fit in there since there are four special areas where the bar is bolted down. I don't know if the base has those.

As to the mugen replica that I bought, that should fit without a problem on the base RSX since you're using the three bolts above the strut towers.
mmont0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:07 AM   #37
paulkramer
AF Regular

Thanks, mmont0 for the info. You say there are a couple "special areas" on the Type-S. Do you mean extra holes and brackets? I can always drill and (hopefully) get the bracket and bolts from dealer. They want $50 for the bar which sounds like the least expensive one I have seen so far.

I had to drill four holes in my Oldsmobile's strut towers to mount the bar for that car - I think it was only stock in the Regal and Grand Prix - so there weren't any holes for it. And there wasn't enough hood clearance for them to design it to mount to the strut mounting bolts.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:21 AM   #38
mmont0
AF Regular

No prob. I would highly recommend spending an extra $20 for the Mugen replica. It is much sturdier than the Type-S stock bar and fits very easily into the car. No need to drill holes either. It also provides better stiffness since the bar is bolted right on top of the strut towers and not next to them.

Just my 2cents.
mmont0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #39
paulkramer
AF Regular

Re: Re: strut and tie bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmont0
No prob. I would highly recommend spending an extra $20 for the Mugen replica. It is much sturdier than the Type-S stock bar and fits very easily into the car. No need to drill holes either. It also provides better stiffness since the bar is bolted right on top of the strut towers and not next to them.

Just my 2cents.
OK, I'll probably get flamed for resurrecting this thread, but I figured starting a new one isn't much different.

I am again considering a rear sway upgrade, probably to JDM since that's the cheapest way to go. I never posted to this thread after purchasing (and installing) Neuspeed front strut tower bar and Neuspeed rear upper tie bar (not really a strut tower bar, more of a rear sheet metal tie bar - and a pain to install if you screw up the "nutserts" like I did!) They both made a significant improvement in body rigidity and the rear bar especially made a big contribution to handling improvement.

Anyway, I'm wondering how important a rear lower tie bar is and whether or not I should spend the extra money for a Progress rear sway/tie bar combo or just stick with the JDM Type R.

Any feedback? I guess one would really have to drive each setup side by side to know for sure.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > RSX