Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
altesk
AF Newbie

Question Buying cheap knowing you'll have to rebuild?

I'm considering buying a nine year old car for sale that has very high mileage. It runs fine and everything looks pretty good cosmetically. However, I assume that I'll need to rebuild or replace the engine and transmission before too long.

Suppose I buy this car cheap, and later replace those drivetrain components when they break. I then have a car that is sort of "good as new" mechanically.

Are there any problems with this car buying strategy? Does it make economic sense?

In case you are curious about the car's details:

1999 Honda Civic
230,000 miles on the odometer (the owner claims this resulted partly from highway driving during a long commute)
Automatic transmission
AM/FM/CD
New Tires (80K warranty), New Battery, New Radiator, New Belts, New Air Conditioner compressor Unit, new fluids.
Original owner is selling it.
Alternator, water pump, CV joints and boots have never needed replacing.
Timing belt was replaced only once, at 175,000 miles (seller claims this is not far from the factory recommended interval for timing belt replacement).

Current asking price is $4050. The seller claims to have received offers of about $3500, but is holding out for a little more.
altesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Buying cheap knowing you'll have to rebuild?

I used to do that in the late '80s/early '90s, buy cars cheap (usually preferred w/ engine & tranny) and then used my own engine/ tranny combo that I installed myself. There are positives to doing that as well as negatives. One of the big negatives on something that is older/higher mileage is that most of your parts have a 'definite' lifespan. Front end components, electrical components,body parts (in certain areas of the country), and other interior/mechanical parts may wear out at any given moment and need replacing. To me it's a gamble as to whether or not the vehicle you purchase will need many of these parts replaced within a few years.If they have not been replaced when you buy the vehicle then you should look at it as "all these parts are 9 years old and have 230,000 miles on them." Then ask yourself," Am I willing, and do I have enough money to repair/replace anything and everything that may go wrong in the coming months?" That can help you make a decision as to whether or not you want to undertake something like that or use that info as a bargaining tool to hopefully get a lower purchase price for that vehicle.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

Price is high for that mileage. The timing belt should be replaced about every 60-90k depending on usage. It needs alt, cv, and water pump asap. 230k is way too long for that stuff. I think you could find better. I got my 96 with ~110k on it for 4500, but its in really good shape.

-just FYI ive spent about $2,000 on maintenence. But the only thing that broke was the radiator shroud cracked. most other things ive replaced by choice.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

I don't think its a bad idea but I wouldn't do this unless I owned more than one car because it is a gamble especially if you need to really rely on the car. I also agree that is way too long of an interval. Only things I can think of with that long an interval is a tranny, engine, or certain gaskets.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
JoshParsons84
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to JoshParsons84

Sounds like that seller is a Jew. No offense.
JoshParsons84 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A