Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #16
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Re: Auto design question

Quote:
Originally Posted by S13 drifter
The SAE that makes our cars have less power! Unrelated to the topic and no offense, but that's discraseful (don't be a tree hugger lol), and I never said I hadn't heard of a college b4 moron . If u had been paying attention I said I had never heard the term uni college, and as far as Jiffy lube no thanks I'm a chooser not a beggar like somebdy in this forum. I don't really want to go to a college that makes me take another year of literature and other things I despise, because it isn't that I'm bad at literature and social studies I just hate the fact that I'm putting so much time into something I already know how to do and that I won't be needing a high level of education in for my job. (I'm sure pretty much everyone but jounalists and teachers can get by with high school english). So I would like to go to a school where I will be able to focus on my career, not someone elses.
what?
you seem to have missed the "/" in the post. He typed uni/college as in, uni or college.

You stated that you wanted to do an automotive design course. In case you missed this as well, most automotive design courses are university degree type courses OR MA level post graduate courses, in which case you will need to go to university anyway. THAT is how you get into the design industry on general and unless you fancy working from the bottom up, doing everything else but design things for 10+ years before getting the chance to pick up a pen/pencil/mouse, then education is the way to go.

incidentally, if you think all you do on a design course is make drawings, then you know very little about how things are done. I can tell you now, if your English isn't up to scratch, you won't do well on a design course. If you don't read widely then you won't do well on a design course. If you can't take another year of doing other things if it means getting to do what you want to do later, then you don't want to do it enough. I mean, heck, why on earth should you do that 10,000 dissertation on Social Responsibilties of Design when you could be spending your time drawing?

Quote:
Oh and P.S. to my other post 99% of auto designers were never grease monkeys unless it was a summer job while they were in high school

and i am willing to bet that 99% of those auto designers came out with a university degree (or equivilant) so that doesn't bode well for you not wanting to go to college/university.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:32 PM   #17
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
Drunken Monkey, Coventry does a course in auto design too.
to be honest, i never looked that far outside london.
also, at the time, i was looking at post-grad courses in London when job hunting got a bit tiresome and The RCA has a reputation (as well as the name....) for Automotive Design as well Product Design (dyson anyone?).

looking over the course, it seems to me that like the architecture degree, it is a general design course with an emphasis on cars (obviously...) and the different technologies involved; essentially, it is a course that teaches you to study, analyse a wide range of issues and areas and how to translate them into a design/product that address those issues, in 2d form and 3d form.

you looking to do this?

Read them.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #18
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
to be honest, i never looked that far outside london.
also, at the time, i was looking at post-grad courses in London when job hunting got a bit tiresome and The RCA has a reputation (as well as the name....) for Automotive Design as well Product Design (dyson anyone?).

looking over the course, it seems to me that like the architecture degree, it is a general design course with an emphasis on cars (obviously...) and the different technologies involved; essentially, it is a course that teaches you to study, analyse a wide range of issues and areas and how to translate them into a design/product that address those issues, in 2d form and 3d form.

you looking to do this?
no, a while back i was thinking of doing auto design or motorsport engineering. but i've not decided against that. i'm at the College of North West London doing a course in work on cars, then i'm moving to the US next year to (hopefully) go to UTI in florida to become an auto technician.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:47 PM   #19
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

i can tell you that design isn't all it is cracked up to be, especially these days.
i have a couple of friends who went on to do automotive engineering and aeronautics and they all tell me that the design people are monkies who don't know what they're doing.

this is going to sound very old man of me but i really do suggest getting into an engineering degre if you can at all help it as it really does make you that more attractive to potential employers. For example, Lotus have a pretty good recruitment program but they want at least a 2:1 prediction.
Then again, you seem to have given this a of thought already and know where you're headed.

Read them.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #20
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

i spend a lot of time doing research and stuff before i don anything (it's taken 3 days of about 5-8 hours per day of research to choose my socket sets, looking at a lot of different manufacturers..)

i'm trying to get a job at either Finchley Road Audi or VW, to raise some cahs for the move. i'm going to go to the embassy to try and get US residency and apply for citizenship. then i may have to work for a few years to raise money for the course there. (~£13,000 for the training) and i don't think my parents are supporting me in any way on this so i need to raise money primarily to move there.

my next decision is this: do i want to go into auto tech or diesel tech?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #21
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

one step at a time laddie.....
like they say, when the time comes, you will know.

Read them.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #22
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

my Girlfriend lives in Orlando, Florida. i know.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #23
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
The SAE that makes our cars have less power! Unrelated to the topic and no ........................heard the term uni college, and as far as Jiffy lube no thanks I'm a chooser not a beggar like somebdy in this forum. I don't really want to ..........................like I said I'm looking for a more specific route from someone who knows that they know.(preferrably an auto designer if any are on this site).

Wow.
Ignorance really is bliss isn't it?

If you continue with your "Im 18, and Im so smart I don't have to study anything" attitude then you will end up working at a jiffy lube for the rest of your life.

If you really, and I mean really, want to get into Automotive design, or for that matter any well paid Automotive job then you need to get of your hollier than thou horse, and come to the realisation that you don't know squat and you need to attend a University or Technical Institute in order to learn enough to get you in the door of a company that will teach you more.
And while at said educational facility you will have to learn other subjects, because a narrow minded edcuation produces a narrow minded individual, and one body wants to employ one of those. Especialy as a designer.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #24
S13 drifter
AF Regular

ok, I've read up on it and found some stuff. It seems post grad is the way to go, but what exactly is the requirements for entry to a post grad school. Is it a bachelors degree, and if so what do I need the bachelors degree in? Can I graduate from a trade school so I don't have to take english again?(you can tell I hate writing... if it isn't important). I also know what your going to say to my last comment "all writing's important!!!" well don't cuz it isn't. Half the posts up there aren't important, and as you can see I write rather well anyways. At least I'm not all "euww geiys caint du thiat rite"lol.
S13 drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #25
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
my Girlfriend lives in Orlando, Florida. i know.

not what i was talking about.......
auto vs diesel.

[martial arts teacher mode]i would go with automotive technology but that's me from an outsider's point of view. You might think the same right now (or not) but when the time comes to make a proper decision, things might've changed. Then you will know which path to take.[/end martial arts teacher mode]

Read them.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #26
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
not what i was talking about.......
auto vs diesel.

[martial arts teacher mode]i would go with automotive technology but that's me from an outsider's point of view. You might think the same right now (or not) but when the time comes to make a proper decision, things might've changed. Then you will know which path to take.[/end martial arts teacher mode]
oops...

i'm leaning more towards auto tech, but i've heard that there's plenty of money to be made in commercail/plant diesel. but i don't know how many places near where i'd be living that i could be employed at. so i'm thinking auto tech is a better option.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #27
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
ok, I've read up on it and found some stuff. It seems post grad is the way to go, but what exactly is the requirements for entry to a post grad school. Is it a bachelors degree, and if so what do I need the bachelors degree in? Can I graduate from a trade school so I don't have to take english again?(you can tell I hate writing... if it isn't important). I also know what your going to say to my last comment "all writing's important!!!" well don't cuz it isn't. Half the posts up there aren't important, and as you can see I write rather well anyways. At least I'm not all "euww geiys caint du thiat rite"lol.
Are you sure you're 18?
i) English isn't all about spelling and the language and tone of your posts leads me to believe otherwise
ii) If you've found post graduate courses on Automotive Design, then you should also have found the requirements.
iii) as pointed out by the other guy, there are also under graduate Automotive Design courses.

If you actually do some proper research, they will list requirements for their courses. One thing though, all the people i know who have gone on to do any (pure) design course is that they have an art/design background and draw and paint a lot. Got anything of yours to show what you can do at 18 years of age?

and what is this obsession with not taking more english classes?
is that how college university works in the US? - I have no idea how your system works.

one thing though, if the only thing that is stopping you from going on to do a college/university degree is the idea of having to do some english classes, then you might as well stop looking now because if you can't get over this to do something that you want to do, then you obviously don't want to do it enough.

Read them.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #28
S13 drifter
AF Regular

Holy freakin crap ppl love this forum and plz if ur gonna tell me something don't be all pissed off about it, and no saying "I'm not pissed off!" because everybody knows that is just b.s. I'm not trying to be narrow minded it's just that I don't really like writing, everybody has a subject they don't like and mine is english because teachers tell you to write a paper about a limited topic and it has to be however long and then you can't find anything else to say about it. Then you give the teacher the paper and they say it was great and you write so great but it was too short. I'd rather write a good short paper than follow a single topic in circles until I have 5 pages.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #29
S13 drifter
AF Regular

FYI I never said I was 18 did I go back and take a quick look, and if that's what my profile says(i just thought about it) I'm sorry my friend made me this profile a while back, I never checked
Old 09-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #30
S13 drifter
AF Regular

I'd rather not take english but if that is what it takes I'm game. Plus, another thing, why do the same ppl always respond to my forums?lol (stalkers jk)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical