Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > X-Type
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 07:50 PM   #1
jackson1628
AF Newbie

Do Not Buy A X-Type or any JAG!!!

I owned a X-type 3.0 which bought in last september. The car is fully loaded, & reverse sensor, except natvigation & sport. however, i wanted sell the x-type and get a sport car, guess what i got for a trade in value? u wouldn't believe it~ $37000cdn ($24666USD) max!!! It's only 12000km, no scratch, garage kept, perfect condition!!! Why? Jaguar is giving out $6k rebate to ppl now of getting the x-type~ (if you r thinking to get one b/c of the rebate....DON"T!!! even without the rebate the resell sucks on JAG!!!). Even though, i am highly satisfy w/ the quality & performance of the Jag X-Type but I am very disappointed w/ the resell value, and i would never ever buy another Jag anymore in my life!!! A Ford may have better resell value than the Jag~ I feel like driving a domestic car or even a honda civic~
jackson1628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:52 AM   #2
jsb88
AF Enthusiast

I am not thinking of selling any jag I buy before it has been pretty done over, so no problems there.
jsb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:01 PM   #3
Ran
AF Fanatic

i havent herd of any problems from my friens selling their jaguars but they probebly dont live were you live.........

Please read the AF guidelines
if you haven't read them before.
Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
jsb88
AF Enthusiast

I am selling my Jag privatly for £18k any I am not complaining. I honestly dont care about resell value, it is about when I have it that counts.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:04 AM   #5
SilverLotus340R
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SilverLotus340R
are you trading it into a dealer other than a Jaguar one??

many times if u are trading in say a Jaguar at a Porsche dealer or something..they arent going to give u the optimum price because they dont usually deal in those cars and it could be hard for them to sell the car because they have competition from the Jaguar dealer..so they will tell you that your car isnt worth as much as it possibly could be because they have no market for it..

but if your trading it into a Jaguar dealer than they must be trying to rip you off ..unless there is something wrong with it that u dont have a clue about..which i doubt

but usually if u want the best re-sale value u could sell it to a private owner for what u want to sell it for and if u get it than you have those optimum funds for the new sports car....
Who’d dare build a car without doors or side windows or a hood? Only Lotus. And who’d dare drive one? You would. The 340R is the sports car for people who live to drive and want the whole experience as raw and as pure as it comes.
SilverLotus340R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
jsb88
AF Enthusiast

I got it values independantly at £18k, which I think is fair.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:05 PM   #7
jsb88
AF Enthusiast

Most definetly. It cost me £55000 new, and now they are £45k!
Old 01-20-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
jsb88
AF Enthusiast

picking up new cars can be a pointless exercise unless you need something really custom to your tastes. I believe it to be a wise choice to buy second hand.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
ell_d
Banned

Its common knowledge that a car will loose most of its value in the first year, and in most cases, the higher the value of the car, the faster it depreciates. If you sell your Jag within, arond or before your first year of ownership, expect to loose a substancial ammount. It also depends on the make. Jags are renowned for loosing money.
I used to drive and XJR, and my wife still has an XKR, but as i change my cars almost as often as i change my tie, i started buying Mercs. The smaller cars of the range such as the A190 and C200K, and the AMG's loose very little. Another top buy is the new BMW 645Ci, you may even make money on it if you sell it on a month later!
ell_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:27 PM   #10
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Cool

Its the extra money you paid for the 3 liter engine and all the goodies that's causing the problem. I bought a lightly loaded 2003 2.5 automatic at a substantial discount in May 03, and, so far, she's holding her value quite well. I made the mistake once of buying a loaded Chrysler LHS. The car lost 50% of its value in 12 months. Traded the car in at 5 years with very low miles, and, it was worth only 20% of original price. Compared to this beast, the Jag is doing great.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
Jeremy02XType
AF Newbie

Re: Do Not Buy A X-Type or any JAG!!!

The Chrysler LH series sedans (Eagle Vison, LHS, Concorde, 300M) are really terrible on resale. I see these things selling 3-4 yrs old with low mileage for what a similar Hyundai Elantra would sell for lol.

jag's are not a car to buy new if you plan on swapping out often
Jeremy02XType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #12
carzaddict
AF Newbie

sometimes i think its just better to lease, ofcourse you've gotta take into account resale value, MSRP, depreciation value, all that bs......but if the numbers crunch up, your better off just leasing, and then you get a new car in 2-3 years
carzaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #13
Jeremy02XType
AF Newbie

of course you have to figure mileage as well. ive seen some high end cars be as high as $.20-$.25/mile over the allotment. and the lease end buyout is always higher than what you could buy the same car for on the open market

if you do lease you should always have a second car to drive as well
Jeremy02XType is offline   Reply With Quote