Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

97 Riviera Power Steering fluid and oil leaks

Hey AF, it's awfully quiet in here. Still have the Riv with 148,450 miles on it. Went for state inspection yesterday and was told there was a PS fluid leak. It looked pretty bad from underneath, wet everywhere, dripping off frame, etc. That's getting fixed tomorrow. Is it likely the pump? what usually goes on these? It's original pump I believe. Also have a minor OIL leak that past inspection last year. Can't tell if it's from the pan or higher on the engine, a mechanic said it could be bearing seals? What's common for a 23.9 year old 3800 non-supercharged? The leaks could be from not driving it much and temperature cycles, or lack thereof. Thx
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 97 Riviera Power Steering fluid and oil leaks

Could be pump, could be line, could be rack.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

The steering pump was replaced on Thursday however it's VERY noisy, sounds like the hydraulic `whirr´ of construction equipment. The repair shop says, according to the re-manufacturer that the pump has to `break in´ for 250 miles. I never heard of a new part having to break in. The sound is like a loud `meow´ of a cat (or even CAT construction equip) when tuning the wheel L-R, it also changes pitch with motor RPM. Now I understand this is somewhat normal because I heard that sound all the time before (not near as loud) and thought it was the transmission, but it was hydraulic sound from steering pump. Kinda' sounds like a junk or a hot rod now. What's your explanation or best advice? If that wasn't bad enough, the driver power window got stuck in the DOWN position on Saturday afternoon, and after it started raining, made a dash for the shelter of a a filling station. Could it be the Tech slammed the driver door with the window down? The glass is awfully lose in there when down.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

If the pump vanes are installed correctly, there should be almost no break-in required. Did the installed drain/flush/refill the steering system when the pump was replaced?
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
edwinn (08-24-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, please explain briefly `pump vane installation´ Is that at the factory? Thx From what they said, the tech didn't drain/flush/refill the steering system. I got it done for a pretty good price in terms of Hrs labor. I didn't factor in bleeding the system, if that's part of the procedure. Just want y'all to know the `whirr´ from that new pump was really `over the top´ noisy. It has quieted down some, thankfully.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #6
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Will be taking it back to the shop this week so they can check for oil leaks.. after putting dye in the oil. I have good relation with that shop. Any good YouTube videos or how-to's on changing 3800-II oil pan gasket on 97 Buick?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Riviera